Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Volume spike when switching from FRFR to speaker modeling Powercab 112+ (solved)

cfhmonkey

If I make the mistake off actually playing the guitar while simultaneously switching from FRFR mode to speaker modeling on the PC112+ from the Helix using my JTV59, look out! Massive volume spike. Makes it very difficult for live use. I have to make sure I am not playing for a split second and try to time my switch, for instance when going from some acoustic strumming on the JTV59 using FRFR on the PC112+ to a heavier electric rhythm using speaker modeling on the PC112+... think "Feel Like Makin' Love" by Bad Company.  Results in a volume spike that will make you, and everyone else, require an underwear change if you're not careful on the switch. Anyone else come across this? Work around? Issue being addressed with a firmware update? Using the XLR out to FOH from the Helix doesn't result in this when doing the same thing, so I know it's a Powercab issue...

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi think there's a volume attenuation option patches.  I wonder if it's loading the impulse then applying the volume attenuation.  Try setting the attenuation to 0 on a patch and switching back and forth to see if it stays more consistent?

It may not work well since you could be clipping the model that way, but it might give a clue as to whats wrong in the design.

Finally got some time to take a look at this last night. Probably chalk it all up to user error on my part, sheer ignorance, or both. I deleted every block from my preset and still had the issue when switching from a snapshot using the PC112+ in FRFR mode to another snapshot using the PC112+ in speaker emulation mode. Loud "pop" on the PC112+ and the input light goes red for a second. Looked at the Powercab tab in HX Edit. "Speaker Level" on the FRFR snapshot defaults to 0dB. "Speaker Level" on the speaker emulation snapshot defaults to -15dB. Not surprised then that there is a volume spike when changing snapshots, because that's a volume spike (duh). When I say "defaults" I do so because I don't remember setting the values, and if I start with a blank preset, those are the values that show up for FRFR and speaker mode. 

If "speaker level" is set to the same dB or even relatively close, no pops or volume spikes. Yea!

• cfhmonkey changed the title to Volume spike when switching from FRFR to speaker modeling Powercab 112+ (solved)