Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Native 1.93/Cubase 9.5.50 Build 345/RME Babyface Pro FS

vanilla

I have Helix Native loaded as an Insert Effect in Cubase. I logged into my Line 6 Account through the Helix Native VST. I hear a dry signal in my left ear.

I have tried using using Scuffham S-Gear Amp Sim as standalone and i get a stereo signal from that... If that helps.

Help!

Yeah, when i keep fingering the strings with one hand on my guitar while maximizing then minimizing my browser with this website opened (not saying this website does anything because of it) i hear the preset sounding while the track with Helix is set with monitor on cakes.

Sorry! I realized i had "Direct Monitoring" checked in cubase and that was preventing me from hearing continuous sound from Helix Native.

With that onand say you have Cubase as an icon on your taskbar without having Cubase fully maximised/open so you can see your desktop behind the project with Helix Native on display. Keep clicking the Cubase icon on the taskbar minimising and maximising you hear hear cuts of sound if you stummed a chord.

8 hours ago, vanilla said:

Sorry! I realized i had "Direct Monitoring" checked in cubase and that was preventing me from hearing continuous sound from Helix Native.

Yeah, that’s understandable, but it doesn’t explain the other posts which you made.

They were complete nonsense, and one almost looked like you were “trolling” another user.

Not a good thing.

Glad you fixed the monitor problem.

Datacommando, maybe you can explain... Why does a distortion preset sound like plastic with the monitor button enabled in Cubase? I'm trying the revv preset. It's like i hear clean guitar as well as distortion. One thing that would b really nice is if Line 6 made Helix native standalone. So you can just jam if the plastic sound is a matter. And if that's the case how can one really interpret what a good tone sounds like being recorded, you know?

8 hours ago, vanilla said:

Datacommando, maybe you can explain... Why does a distortion preset sound like plastic with the monitor button enabled in Cubase?

Hello again, vanilla,

Without knowing exactly how you are getting your guitar signal into your DAW and how you are listening to the processed sound, it’s difficult to hazard a guess. 

Example: I use a one of my guitars or Variax into a Helix Floor unit. I have Tannoy Reveal 802 monitors connected to the XLR out from Helix to hardware monitor the audio signal. The guitar signal is recorded into Logic Pro X with the stereo processed sound on USB 1&2 and the dry unprocessed guitar is recorded to another mono track via USB 7. This allows me to then play the dry mono signal through HX Native to create however many different setups as I want. All this is done with Logic’s software monitoring off

Therefore, I would suggest you need to look at your monitoring options once more,  because you have mentioned in your earlier post that you were having issues with it. I don’t know what you are using to record and playback your tracks. With the method that I am using, my Helix is the audio interface and sound card in one box. It does exactly what I expect and want - no problems ever. I have been using Native in this manner since it was first released and I have been using the Helix for 5 years to get audio into Logic, Pro Tools First, Ableton, GarageBand, Reaper and Studio one. For many years prior to Helix I had been recording guitar in to various Mac computers using POD HD500, POD XTLive, the original old red kidney bean POD and even a BOSS GT6 into various audio interfaces (Lucid Audio, Delta 1010, FocusRite Saffire, etc.) and a whole bunch of rack mounted outboard MIDI synth module and FX units without problems. It all just works - there must be something about your listening environment and setup that is not quite correct.

I don’t know about Cubase or how it works now - I stopped using it around 1990 when it was just a 64 track MIDI sequencer on my old Atari 1040ST.

Hope this helps/makes sense

No serious. I'm not gonna lollipop on you or even attempt to fully evaluate tht your setup is what i need. All i'm gonna say is. When i play a distorted patch with Helix Native i hear clean as well with a track monitored in Cubase. If it were the monitor button wasn't armed i wouldn't hear the patch from Helix Native at all. Whether it was distorted/flanged/phasored etc.

And i'll tell was able to record a bunch of songs with my old hd500x and i just want to step those songs up to 64/192 with my RME Babyface and N.I Studio Drummer AND get some stuff copyrighted and pass out some cds locally, aight? I amn really surprised L6 didn't make Helix Native standalone to jam and become familiar with presets, for only a HX effects owner like my self. Cool?

Edit: Yeah i've got a instrument cable going into my Babyface and i hear what is being played in cubase as i mentioned. I hear the actual distorted patch and just a hint of clean guitar making the audio sound a bit plastic. I hope that is a clearer understanding from what i hear. I'm dragging as of now and i am giving all my effort to help someone understand why i'm hearing what i hear. Maybe too much?

On 10/22/2020 at 11:47 AM, vanilla said:

No serious.

Hello, again Vanilla,

We obviously are suffering from a language problem here, but I have been trying to assist you, even though you seem to be joking most of the time.

I will just say this, from what I can decipher from your posts, your RME Babyface works as expected it is a very good interface to get your guitar signal into Cubase. The situation is when you have the clean guitar recorded in Cubase and you use HX Native as a channel insert, you can hear the clean guitar along with the processed signal from Native and the whole thing sounds bad.

I think that the issue is from Cubase and the way you are monitoring the channels. I stated earlier that I haven't used Cubase for many years, but I did look at the Operation Manual and it seems like there are 3 different ways to monitor your sound.
See page 239.

In Cubase, monitoring means listening to the input signal while preparing to record or while recording.

The following ways of monitoring are available.

• Via Cubase.
  • Externally by listening to the signal before it reaches Cubase.
  • By using ASIO Direct Monitoring. This is a combination of both other methods.

Check the way your signal is routed and monitored through the busses in Cubase, other than that, I have nothing else to offer.

Goodbye and Good luck

Hi Vanilla,

Have you tried arming the record button on your Cubase input channel, but keep the monitor switch in the off position.

So the record button is red and the monitor button remains grey.

You should be able to see the dry signal coming in to the channel, but not be able to hear it.  

Just an idea, let me know how it goes. 

Hello Vanilla,

I'm not sure if you have seen this video before or if it helps. It is 69 minutes long and 2 years old. The first 20 minutes or so cover some basic setup which you probably have already done. Starting at 23:35 he demonstrates Helix Native for about 5 minutes. Maybe this helps or what Snackbar mentions helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ECkQPf98EE

Thank you guys so much for taking the time to respond to my post.

The issue was with TotalMix FX on my part. I needed to mute a channel in it's mixer TotalMix FX.

I would even make a video about what i was going through if i had the software and a camera to explain. Maybe in the future.

Yeah commando the sound quality is big step up from a UX1.

Thank you!

• Thanks 1