Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

FX Loop tonesuck

mads-k

I have made some fine presets on my Pod Go with a lot of nice reverb and delay, and I have been playing around with the FX loop. But every time I enable the mono FX loop, the sound gets noticably worse. Like the sound gets much less vibrant, and a bit lower. At first I thought that it was one of the pedals in my loop, but then i tried to bypass the pedals by simply running a patch cable from send to return. Same result. Any ideas? I’m running the FX loop as the last item in my Pod Go chain.

If you've put the fx loop at the end of the chain, that's likely why...try changing the position of the fx loop.  What external fx are you running in the fx loop and how does your on board chain look? Generally, but not set in stone by any means, you'll typically want time based fx after the amp and distortions before it. 

Why would setting it last be any worse than setting in first?  If the out/in have noise or quality issues, the noise will be the same if it's first or if it's last.  Even logically, well depending on whether your block chain ends up increasing or decreasing the overall signal, putting it last might have less noise.  Since if your noisy signal is put at the start of your chain and your chain increases the overall volume, the noise will equally be increased, whereas if it was last, in the contrary the noise/distortion from the FX loop would be lower relative to the overall loud sound.

But have you tried experimenting with the FX loop position? Its there of course to let you add external fx and place them anywhere you want in the signal chain. Thus, the fx loop is just another block and like every other block, when you place pedals in it, the order of your pedals in the block AND the position of the fx loop block will change your signal chain and how it sounds. 

Also, you can set the fx loop to line level, or to accommodate stomp boxes.  Have you checked your settings and tried both? And you should also check the return out settings.  See p32 of the manual for details. 

The FX loop is simply just my Boss RC3. I tried moving the loop up before the amp(just to play around with it) and I think I have concluded that the issue is that I have been running a mono loop after the wet effects... which obviously results in a more boring (and appearently slightly less loud) signal. Time to get stereo patch-cables for my RC-3 :)