Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hd500 Powered Speaker Question

Badbradline666

I am just wondering if anyone could tell me how to go FR FR?? Do you just hook the pod up to powered speakers via XLR cables? I am looking into getting some powered speakers (mackies or Yorkville) not sure how to go about it.., do i need to go through a mixer or straight to the speakers sorry for all the questions please help

I bought the Line6 L2m, and I connect my POD HD500 direct into that with a Hosa DMX/AES cable over Line6 Link.  It's my first foray into the world of FRFR, so I can't compare it to other powered speakers.  But I love the sound from it, and I like that you can use the HD500 to control the L2m's options on a per patch basis.

Yeah you just plug right into the back. The 1/4 outs will mono sum if you just use one. The xlr outs don't. Before you buy anything I'd shelp your hd and axe down to a big box muzak store and try them out. I just did and even though they say they are flat they don't sound alike at all. Some, to me, had an anoying wooffy bass that I coundn't dial out using the pod amp models tone controls. I spent a couple hours at GC in thier pro sound room demoing powered speakers. Don't know your playing style so what I liked and bought may not be for you but I ended up with a jbl prx612m

I am just wondering if anyone could tell me how to go FR FR?? Do you just hook the pod up to powered speakers via XLR cables? I am looking into getting some powered speakers (mackies or Yorkville) not sure how to go about it.., do i need to go through a mixer or straight to the speakers sorry for all the questions please help

I've been using a QSC K10 with my HD500 and am delighted with the results.  If you want to be a purist it's probably best to use the 1/4" summing output, but I just center the left/right pan controls on the mixer and connect the left XLR output to the speaker with a mic cable.  An FRFR speaker typically has a more extended bass response than a guitar cabinet.  I recommend using the hi-pass filter on the cabinet simulation to tame it. 

The Variax Rickenbacker 12-string setting turned my little Fender Mustang III amp inside out at performance levels (complete mush). With an HD500 Fender Twin emulation and the QSC, it's crystal clear and total "chime".  High distortion settings are a bit of challenge, but following Meambobbo's recipe for "de-fizzing" the sound with a parametric EQ worked like a charm.  With a 1KW internal power amp, the K10 can blow you through the nearest wall.  Cutting through a live mix is certainly not a problem.

And, last but not least for Variax owners, the acoustic sounds are incredible.  I use a simple studio EQ and compressor - no amp simulation.