Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Upgrade path from 2.12 to 2.92

Mister4tee4

Greetings-

Have been happily gigging with Helix for the past few years and finally have a chance to upgrade firmware.

Downloaded Helix Edit 2.92 but it won't "connect" with my 2.12 Helix.  Back in the dark ages, backing up Helix was a tedious process, whereas the newer editor seems to have a "backup" function, which seems more streamlined.

3 questions:

1) Is the "connection interrupted" error message I'm getting to be expected when attempting to connect from such old firmware to latest version, or is there potentially another issue preventing connection?

2) Is there a point in the firmware upgrade path from 2.12 to 2.92 at which Helix Edit can be used instead of the old Helix "app?"

3) Are firmware updates backwards compatible with patches created in older versions, or are some models eliminated in more current versions.

Thanks!

1) HX Edit 2.92 should still work your Helix on the older firmware. I'd try a different USB port or USB cable.

2) There's no reason to use the old Helix app ever, anymore.

3) Yes, all presets and setlists you created in earlier versions are compatible with the newer firmware. Line 6 has never deleted a model (why would they?). It's going the other way that's problematic. Presets and backups created with newer firmware generally can't be loaded onto devices running older firmware.

58 minutes ago, Mister4tee4 said:

1) Is the "connection interrupted" error message I'm getting to be expected when attempting to connect from such old firmware to latest version, or is there potentially another issue preventing connection?

How are you connecting (direct? Thru a hub?) to what kind of computer (laptop or desktop)? What OS?

Thanks for the replies.

I was able to connect by using the latest version of the "Line 6 Updater" app.  Updated from 2.12 to 2.92 (with an anticipated restart in the middle), then got the attached warning screen.

Did NOT reset globals and restore factory presets per instructions and, as far as I can tell so far, everything seems normal.  Had to change the polarity of a couple of expression pedals, but...  does anyone know what evil I can expect if I don't restore factory settings and then import my custom patches from a backup?  Don't want to fix what ain't broke...

Update warning.png

Yes.  I was able to get it to connect by using the "updater" app.  After the update, I have been able to use Helix Edit.

Just wondering whether to ignore the warning in the screenshot above.  Been wanking for a couple of hours and haven't encountered any issues, so I'll probably ignore the warning for now.

Thanks.

7 hours ago, Mister4tee4 said:

Don't want to fix what ain't broke...

Hi,

Installing new firmware usually needs to rebuild all your presets to bring them up to the current standard. This generally means less glitches. Your Global setting will also default back to basic, so if you have made changes to your Globals the backup you made can be used to bring them back to what you previously had.

After your update to v2.92, you will notice that if you add any presets that were created with earlier versions of the firmware, especially any downloaded from CustomTone, when you restart your hardware it will probably go through the “Rebuilding Presets” routine. Again, this is normal as it updates them to the newer version.

If your hardware needs to be reset for any reason these are the options.

Hope this helps/makes sense

Reset Options

Helix Floor/LT

Button Combination

Description

LED light Fun

3 & 4

Test Mode

5 & 6

Global reset

7 & 8

Reset setlists to factory, Keep IRs

8 & 9

Reset setlists to factory, Clear IRs

9 & 10

Reset setlists to factory, Global reset, Clear IRs

10 & 11

Upgrades existing presets to latest format

11 & 12

Clear current preset

5 & 12

Clear setlists, clear IRs, Return system settings to default

6 & 12

Safe boot mode

To use Reset Options:

• Power off the Helix
  • Hold the desired button combination
  • Power on the Helix
  • Release the button combination

Please note: Buttons are numbered from top left to bottom right.

Thanks for the feedback and useful shortcuts.

Yes, the globals did reset, which took a few minutes to reconfigure.  No problems there.

Helix does "rebuild" presets upon each startup now.  This adds maybe 30 seconds to the boot process (not a huge deal).  Based on what you are saying, this is the new normal upon each restart, or was it supposed to happen only the first time?

Also, curious about 10&11, "Upgrades existing presets to latest format". Is this different than the "rebuild" process during startup?  If so, wondering if executing this command result in future boot processes not needing to "rebuild" presets.  Please advise.

Much obliged.

26 minutes ago, Mister4tee4 said:

Helix does "rebuild" presets upon each startup now.  This adds maybe 30 seconds to the boot process (not a huge deal).  Based on what you are saying, this is the new normal upon each restart, or was it supposed to happen only the first time?

Also, curious about 10&11, "Upgrades existing presets to latest format". Is this different than the "rebuild" process during startup?  If so, wondering if executing this command result in future boot processes not needing to "rebuild" presets.  Please advise.

Much obliged.

The rebuild process is a one time only process for reconfiguring the presets to match the format expected by 2.82 both on the Helix and in HX Edit.  10&11 should be the same process.

Actually subsequent to the reconfiguring of presets you should find your bootup process is significantly faster than what you've experienced in the past.

44 minutes ago, Mister4tee4 said:

Thanks for the feedback and useful shortcuts.

Yes, the globals did reset, which took a few minutes to reconfigure.  No problems there.

Much obliged.

Hi, again,

You made a big jump from v2.12 up to 2.92 as there was a major revision of the Core OS in the range of Helix products at v2.80. Essentially the old brain of the Helix family of products was replaced by a brand new slick and faster model. The presets get rebuilt to make them perform as the should inside this bright new world. I have heard that some people did experience the annoying constant rebuilding of presets, which was presumably due to the fact that after updating the normal rebuild process either failed to complete or got glitched somehow. I would be tempted to run the FS10 & 11 option to definitely ensure that your presets were correct. As I noted earlier, the rebuild process usually happens when you add an older type of preset. Once it's done this then your Boot Up time for Helix is pretty darn quick, compared to earlier versions - that's one of the big advantages of updating - beside all the extra goodies.

Give it a shot.

It never ceases to amaze me - how many people come on here and shout "Firmware update bricked my Helix/Stomp/HXFX" - it's only software - worse case scenario - re-install.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

Have fun with all those new toys in there.

EDIT: 

You may want to read this.

Edited by datacommando
Added info