Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Noisy Bypassed Models

Drybonz

Quite a few... most recently the auto-swell is really bad... also the mutron clone.  My setup is pretty straightforward... some pedals into the HX stomp into an Alto speaker (or sometimes Mesa amp, but not since I've had the HX yet).  Let me know if you need other details, but really it's just some bypassed effects that are a problem... nothing else is causing problems.  For instance, if I bypass that noisy auto swell, it's very noisy... then if I turn it back on it's really quiet.  I don't want to just remove the auto swell because it works fine when it's on... it's just the bypass causing the problems.

Thanks again.

1 hour ago, Drybonz said:

Quite a few... most recently the auto-swell is really bad... also the mutron clone.  My setup is pretty straightforward... some pedals into the HX stomp into an Alto speaker (or sometimes Mesa amp, but not since I've had the HX yet).  Let me know if you need other details, but really it's just some bypassed effects that are a problem... nothing else is causing problems.  For instance, if I bypass that noisy auto swell, it's very noisy... then if I turn it back on it's really quiet.  I don't want to just remove the auto swell because it works fine when it's on... it's just the bypass causing the problems.

Thanks again.

It's basically what @Schmalle said above. The noise is there normally, but the blocks are hiding it. Both of those blocks you mentioned are envelope controlled, meaning their output depends on the level of the input signal. So they act like a noise gate with low level noise - they're blocking it. You could turn the noise gate on in the input block if you want. I'm not a huge fan of noise gates, personally, but they have their place. If you're using a high gain amp model, it makes sense.

13 hours ago, phil_m said:

It's basically what @Schmalle said above. The noise is there normally, but the blocks are hiding it. Both of those blocks you mentioned are envelope controlled, meaning their output depends on the level of the input signal. So they act like a noise gate with low level noise - they're blocking it. You could turn the noise gate on in the input block if you want. I'm not a huge fan of noise gates, personally, but they have their place. If you're using a high gain amp model, it makes sense.

If you want to be really fancy you could set up a noise gate that turns on when the effect turns off and vice versa.