Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Unable to use GuitarPort

Hi 

I was given a GuitarPort  for my birthday a few years ago, but I didn’t have time to play with it while I was working. Now that I’m retired and have a new Windows10 I thought I’d try it out again. But the install CD is not working, and when I look for it online, I find nothing, and no one has them in stock. 

So, I checked the support forum, and found this advice (https://line6.com/support/topic/10730-guitar-port-software/) - ‘everything is here: http://line6.com/software/' 

I look, but there are no instructions as to what I need to run GuitarPort. You know, when I turn the hardware over, it says it is Windows95 compatible. Wow that’s old – are these just not supported anymore? 

GuitarPort has been discontinued for quite awhile. I’m not exactly sure when they stopped selling them, but it might be as long as 15 years ago. I think you may be able to use the Windows 7 driver with GuitarPort, though. But as far as any other software, I don’t know. It came with Gearbox at the time, but that’s been dead for a long time. You should be able to use it as interface for whatever software you want, though. It’s just that it’s pretty outdated as far as interfaces go now.

4 hours ago, phil_m said:

GuitarPort has been discontinued for quite awhile. I’m not exactly sure when they stopped selling them, but it might be as long as 15 years ago. I think you may be able to use the Windows 7 driver with GuitarPort, though. But as far as any other software, I don’t know. It came with Gearbox at the time, but that’s been dead for a long time. You should be able to use it as interface for whatever software you want, though. It’s just that it’s pretty outdated as far as interfaces go now.

I still have one sitting on a shelf in my closet. It has worked on Windows 7 and Windows 10 machines for me. I don't recall needing to download any software. It works adequately, but noticeably lags compared to a newer Focusrite interface, or the Helix as an interface for that matter.

Well, I installed the GuitarPort driver, but it still doesn’t work – no sound. Windows device manager tells me the install failed; it says the driver is incomplete, whatever that means. 

Sigh, this has been disappointing. The reason I tried this route is that my Spider amp broke – I can’t get the tremolo effect to stop – I even try factory reset, it’s still doing it. And the footboard & wahwah died last year. This line6 stuff is fragile, I barely used it while I was working. My friend bought a used fender amp at a pawn shop the same time I bought my brand-new Spider at guitar center, and his rig still boogies. Guess I should have bought a good name brand - I certainly won’t replace my broken line6 equipment with more line6 ... 

22 hours ago, overlordofdata said:

Well, I installed the GuitarPort driver, but it still doesn’t work – no sound. Windows device manager tells me the install failed; it says the driver is incomplete, whatever that means. 

Sigh, this has been disappointing. The reason I tried this route is that my Spider amp broke – I can’t get the tremolo effect to stop – I even try factory reset, it’s still doing it. And the footboard & wahwah died last year. This line6 stuff is fragile, I barely used it while I was working. My friend bought a used fender amp at a pawn shop the same time I bought my brand-new Spider at guitar center, and his rig still boogies. Guess I should have bought a good name brand - I certainly won’t replace my broken line6 equipment with more line6 ... 

Yeah, I doubt Win 7 (or older) drivers would allow it to work in Win 10.   

As to your amp issues, a factory reset MIGHT work, but there may also be a failed board component.  Whichever foot controller you have - have you tried a new Cat5 cable first?  Those are usually the first things to fail, as they are stiff and easy for the connectors to bend out of shape.