Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Crashing computer

s7nstringsofhell

6 hours ago, s7nstringsofhell said:

Any idea what's causing this? 

Not until you supply enough information about your computer system and how your Helix is connected to it and your monitor speakers. I have no idea how an audio processor can distort video - that’s a first.

16 hours ago, rd2rk said:

Helps if you say what kind of computer, OS, etc.

11 hours ago, datacommando said:

Not until you supply enough information about your computer system and how your Helix is connected to it and your monitor speakers. I have no idea how an audio processor can distort video - that’s a first.

7 hours ago, kringle said:

it's almost always caused by Logitech.  do you own a logitech product? 

Win 10, USB in, hs5 monitors,

Just started happening randomly. Crashed my audio drivers or BSOD 

No Logitech products 

6 hours ago, Matt_Brown said:

I'm running Win 10 and use Cubase Elements. If I turn off the Helix or pull out the USB before quitting Cubase I get BSOD. Not using anything logitec as far as I know.

All software/drivers up to date.

EZ PZ! Just shut off Cubase first! I'd try to duplicate your problem with another DAW, but in addition to being pointless, would that cause you to give up Cubase?

It's pretty safe to say that all adults know, if you cross the street without looking, you might get hit by a car. Looking first is one of the life skills we learn that allows us to BECOME adults!

Yes, I'm being sarcastic, but really.....

Thanks, yes I usually remember to shut Cubase first.

Never happened with my pod 500x so when I "upgraded" to helix (only a couple of months ago) I wasn't thinking there would be a return to the sort of computer problems we had in the 90s.

Not sure I get the crossing the road analogy. It's not like anyone dies when I forget. I just thought people were here to help with problems.

2 hours ago, Matt_Brown said:

Not sure I get the crossing the road analogy. It's not like anyone dies when I forget. I just thought people were here to help with problems.

That wasn't meant to be snarky. It just means to use common sense. If you know what causes the problem, DON'T DO IT!

Yes, there's a deeper problem in your system, but since it seems to be confined to your system, as opposed to being a widespread problem, it's hard for me to offer helpful suggestions without having YOUR system in front of me. Hardware and driver conflicts, bad memory sections, corrupt Windows files, these are the most common causes of the dreaded BSOD. If you're comfortable with the kind of extensive troubleshooting procedures used to solve these kinds of issues, go for it! Otherwise, you should consider taking the system to a pro to get those procedures done.

Another thing to look at is your Cubase configuration. I use a number of DAWs (Reaper, Cakewalk, Ableton LIVE). I tried Cubase and thought it was the least intuitive DAW I'd ever used and, unfortunately, Steinberg support is pretty useless. However, Cubase is still the least likely suspect. Hardware, memory and drivers, corruption in some Windows files, these are the most likely suspects when dealing with the BSOD.

Good Luck!

• Like 1

Ah, ok. As a veteran of the HD forum I’m used to Pianoguy ripping the lollipop out of people asking stupid questions.

I was struggling to see the stupidity of mine however. Indeed, I only replied as I’d had the same problem as the previous post and latched on to the fact mine could be more of a problem than the fact I have an old PC running new software.

I guess it’s something I’ll (learn to) live with as the system is stable apart from this issue - and I actually like Cubase.

Cheers.

3 minutes ago, Matt_Brown said:

I guess it’s something I’ll (learn to) live with as the system is stable apart from this issue - and I actually like Cubase.

Gotcha'!

p******y. Don't miss him at all!

Then you go and speak his name!

Speak the devil's name and up pops the devil!

BAD ON YOU! :-)