Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Effects/Synth Pedal

C4TH

Hi People,

I've recently added a Boss SY-1 synth pedal to my board. And I'm looking to integrate it with my HX.

I'm running my HX in 4CM with my amp, and have the SY1 in the loop of amp and HX. I'm hoping to run the SY1 into a separate speaker. From what I've read, it looks like I can do this by running a cable from the right output of the HX, then into the speaker I'm going to use. But what would be the best way to separate the signal from within the HX? If I can, I need to be able to turn off the synth pedal with snapshots.

Any help would be much appreciate.

Thanks.

4 minutes ago, C4TH said:

what would be the best way to separate the signal from within the HX?

Depends on the SPECIFICS of your goal. Put it on a separate path?

4 minutes ago, C4TH said:

I need to be able to turn off the synth pedal with snapshots.

Turn the Loop Block ON. Save the snapshot. Go to another Snapshot. Turn the Loop Block OFF. Save Snapshot. Done.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, rd2rk said:

Depends on the SPECIFICS of your goal. Put it on a separate path?

Turn the Loop Block ON. Save the snapshot. Go to another Snapshot. Turn the Loop Block OFF. Save Snapshot. Done.

Thanks for the reply. I mainly just want the synth on its own (right output), guitar/amp signal (left output).

I turn these pedals on/off via a midi pedal looper.

Only problem I think I may have with this - is I have another pedal in the loop (harmony pedal), that I use on the same preset. So on 2 snapshots I have the synth, then on one snapshot I have the harmony pedal. So I don't want the harmony pedal going through the same output as the synth. Just not sure what the best way of achieving this.

Again, specifics are important. If both of the pedals in the loop are MIDI, use MIDI to turn them ON/OFF.

Put the Harmony pedal on the same path as the guitar/amp and pan that path left.

Put the synth on a separate path and pan that path right.

Sorry. I'll be a bit more specific. 

I have a Morningstar ML5 midi switcher going into FX loop 2, of the HX. I use it to turn on/off pedals within snapshots. My problem is - I have to have the FX loop 2 block on, regardless of what pedal the ML5 turns on/off. So because my synth pedal, and my harmony pedal run into the loop of the HX, if I put the FX block on a different path, then both pedals will go into that path. 

So say I had snapshot 1 with the synth, and snapshot 2 with the harmony pedal - Could snapshot 1 have the block panned to the right output somehow, and then when I engage snapshot 2, have the block back to normal?

Hope this makes more sense.

10 minutes ago, Schmalle said:

Title says HX Effects.

Oops! My bad!

If OP has Native, he might be able to open the presets to see what I'm doing. The principles concerning Snapshots and Panning apply in any case.

If I decide to keep my Egnater Tweaker 15/112, I might look for a good deal on an HXFX. Then I'll have everything but the Rack.

MUST....RESIST.....GEAR ACQUISITION SYNDROME!

BUT YOU HAVE MONEY IN THE BANK! WHAT GOOD IS MONEY IN THE BANK?

NO! MUST....RESIST.....GEAR ACQUISITION SYNDROME!

OK, here's what SHOULD be an HXFX preset that I made in Native using HW Compatibility Mode.

It demonstrates the Panning and Snapshot principles previously outlined.

Deleting my previous (pre-coffee) presets.

Snapshot1 is both paths, panned L/R.

SS2 is PathA ON, PathB OFF.

SS3 is PathA OFF, PathB ON.

IRL, replace the Distortion and Delay Blocks with Loop1 and Loop2.

Let me know if it works as required!

C4TH hxfx.hlx

Edited by rd2rk
Add info
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, rd2rk said:

OK, here's what SHOULD be an HXFX preset that I made in Native using HW Compatibility Mode.

It demonstrates the Panning and Snapshot principles previously outlined.

Deleting my previous (pre-coffee) presets.

Snapshot1 is both paths, panned L/R.

SS2 is PathA ON, PathB OFF.

SS3 is PathA OFF, PathB ON.

Let me know if it works as required!

C4TH hxfx.hlx 9.01 kB · 0 downloads

Thanks rd2rk. That one worked great. And thanks for the other info, too.

So I understand now how to pan with the mixer. And I've got the synth working from the right output. Which is great.

The problem I'm still having (and I've got a feeling now that there maybe no way round it), but basically - FX Loop 1 of the HX is taken up with my amps effects loop (4CM). That just leaves me with FX Loop 2, which has the ML5 in it, which turns on/off the harmony or synth pedal. But obviously, I have to keep FX Loop 2 active to engage whichever pedal I have set for whichever given snapshot.

So if I have FX Loop 2 in path B (which works fine for the synth), when I switch snapshot (synth off, harmony pedal on), then the harmony pedal is in path B also, when I want it in path A.

24692483_Screenshot2020-10-19at19_59_57.thumb.jpeg.2753e6a03dd7a5029c62dc1a9e3120f6.jpeg24692483_Screenshot2020-10-19at19_59_57.thumb.jpeg.2753e6a03dd7a5029c62dc1a9e3120f6.jpeg

Sorry about the double photo. But this is what I have currently set. I think having only 2 loops on the HX is what's holding me back in doing this.

Again, hope that makes sense. And hope I haven't looked over anything you've said.

17 hours ago, rd2rk said:

Yes, as long as you need your amp in 4cm, you're up against the limitations of only 2 FX loops.

Just thought that maybe I could run the ML5 directly into my amps effects loop. That would leave FX loop 2 just for the synth, and I could place it in path B. Question is, do you know how I should integrate the ML5 into the 4cm configuration, so its running into the effects loop of my amp?

OK, back to the beginning.

Signal Chain:

Guitar>HXFX L Input>HXFX Effects>HXFX Loop 1 (Amp)>HXFX Loop 2 (ML5)>HXFX Effects>Output Block

Snapshot 1 - Sends ML5 message to turn ON the Harmony Loop, turn OFF the Synth Loop. Output Block Panned LEFT

Snapshot 2 - Sends ML5 message to turn OFF Harmony Loop, turn ON Synth Loop. Output Block Panned RIGHT.

FX Loop 1 (amp) is always ON.

FX Loop 2 (ML5) is always ON.

In SS1 ML5 Harmony Loop ON, Synth Loop OFF, Panned LEFT.

In SS2 the ML5 Harmony Loop is OFF, Synth Loop ON, Panned RIGHT.

What am I missing?

23 hours ago, rd2rk said:

OK, back to the beginning.

Signal Chain:

Guitar>HXFX L Input>HXFX Effects>HXFX Loop 1 (Amp)>HXFX Loop 2 (ML5)>HXFX Effects>Output Block

Snapshot 1 - Sends ML5 message to turn ON the Harmony Loop, turn OFF the Synth Loop. Output Block Panned LEFT

Snapshot 2 - Sends ML5 message to turn OFF Harmony Loop, turn ON Synth Loop. Output Block Panned RIGHT.

FX Loop 1 (amp) is always ON.

FX Loop 2 (ML5) is always ON.

In SS1 ML5 Harmony Loop ON, Synth Loop OFF, Panned LEFT.

In SS2 the ML5 Harmony Loop is OFF, Synth Loop ON, Panned RIGHT.

What am I missing?

Nope, you're not missing anything.

But, I've now put the ML5 with the harmony pedal in the amps send. And I've now got the Synth on its own in FX Loop 2. I seem to have got it all working ok with the mixer and panning, etc.

My only problem now, is having the right output active all the time. Is there a way to select which output is being used on each preset? Or should I use the mixer on every  preset so the right output is only active on the presets that I want the synth on?

Unless you're doing something different from my suggestions, the "active" output is being controlled with the A/B levels in the Mixer block. It can also be controlled from the Output Block. "A" is Left,, "B" is Right. Your choice, whatever works best for your needs.

16 minutes ago, rd2rk said:

Unless you're doing something different from my suggestions, the "active" output is being controlled with the A/B levels in the Mixer block. It can also be controlled from the Output Block. "A" is Left,, "B" is Right. Your choice, whatever works best for your needs.

Yes, I've followed you're suggestions and they've worked great.

But, I've done the preset as you said - FX Loop 2 in path B, then panned that using the mixer. Which as I said, works great. But if I move on to another preset where I don't need the right output, it stays on, along with the left output.

On the HX effects, I can only access the mixer if I create path B. So to cut off the right output for all my other presets, will I have to create two paths(A/B) so I can access the mixer, and then pan left? Just seems a clunky way of cutting off the Right output. But maybe that is the only way?

Preset settings are just that, they are not GLOBAL to all Presets. Unless you create a TEMPLATE Preset that you use as a base for creating new Presets, you'll need to create new Presets from scratch.

If you're not using a split path with the resultant mixer block, just set the RIGHT Output Level on the Output Block to -160db or whatever full left/counter-clockwise is on the HX FX.

Or, if the Output Block has only a PAN and LEVEL (as it appears in Native. Remember, I don't have a physical HXFX), then just PAN the signal all the way LEFT.

27 minutes ago, rd2rk said:

Preset settings are just that, they are not GLOBAL to all Presets. Unless you create a TEMPLATE Preset that you use as a base for creating new Presets, you'll need to create new Presets from scratch.

If you're not using a split path with the resultant mixer block, just set the RIGHT Output Level on the Output Block to -160db or whatever full left/counter-clockwise is on the HX FX.

Or, if the Output Block has only a PAN and LEVEL (as it appears in Native. Remember, I don't have a physical HXFX), then just PAN the signal all the way LEFT.

I think that might be where we are slightly talking at cross purposes. The HX FX doesn't have an "output block". The only way to control levels and panning of the L and R outputs, is to use the mixer. Or use a pan block for panning, as far as I can tell.

So like I say, if I want the synth on one preset (like the one you've helped me with), then I turn that FX Loop block 2 on, put it in path B, then pan it to the right using the mixer.

But then if I move to another preset, that doesn't have FX Loop 2 in it, and only has the single path, my guitar signal still comes out of the right output. 

So I'm not sure how to stop the right output, without creating another path on all my other presets, so I can access the mixer.

Like you said, I thought there would be something like an output block, but it doesn't seem like there is.

Does it have a PAN block? Same difference I guess. Bummer to have to blow a block on this, but at a certain point your needs go beyond the capabilities of the unit and move into the realm of it's more expensive and powerful (and larger) siblings. Maybe you can trade the HXFX for an HX Stomp? around the same price and size, getting 8 blocks and Command Center in v3.0.................

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, rd2rk said:

Does it have a PAN block? Same difference I guess. Bummer to have to blow a block on this, but at a certain point your needs go beyond the capabilities of the unit and move into the realm of it's more expensive and powerful (and larger) siblings. Maybe you can trade the HXFX for an HX Stomp? around the same price and size, getting 8 blocks and Command Center in v3.0.................

That's true. I may look into it in the future. Thanks for all your help on this. I appreciate it.