Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pulling my hair out 4CM HX Stomp

corbytownsend

Hello everyone, I just got the HX Stomp and am having some serious trouble getting it working correctly. I am attempting to use 4CM and followed hookup instructions per manual to my Panama Fuego 15. I don't think the factory presets are all loaded correctly (I don't see any with the prefix 4CM per the manual and countless Youtube videos). I'm not that concerned about it because I really want to do my own presets anyway. In Global settings I have set all inputs to instrument level. Not interested in using any of the amp or cabinet models at this point. I upgraded firmware prior to using.

While connected (regardless if I'm in the attached preset OR doing an analog bypass on the unit) my amp controls don't work at all, although I am getting some sound out of the unit. If I'm understanding correctly, in presets I need to insert a Mono FX loop at the point in the signal chain where I want my guitar preamp to be so I've done so. But again, my amp controls aren't working even when I'm bypassing the unit so I'm stumped.

I have attached the preset I screenshotted here. I just overwrote the first factory preset with this one. Appreciate any advice that can help me get this thing to work with my stupid amp.

2020-10-19_22h37_05.png

First Fuzz.hlx

Edited by corbytownsend
update

2 hours ago, corbytownsend said:

I don't think the factory presets are all loaded correctly (I don't see any with the prefix 4CM per the manual and countless Youtube videos).

Hi,

If the screenshot you have supplied is anything to go by, then you have got a problem. It would appear that when you upgraded the firmware something was not quite as it should be. If this is a brand new HX Stomp and you haven't actually made any of your own presets, then when you power up the hardware and HX Edit, you should see the names of the factory installed presets that your HX shipped with EVEN AFTER THE UPDATE. They should not stay "New Preset" as shown.

Possibly your firmware update didn't rebuild the presets in the HX  hardware completely. Rather than immediately doing a full re-install of v.2.92 you could try a Factory reset of your HX Stomp.

Try this first:

HX Stomp:  Turn unit off and then turn back on. Hold Footswitches 2 and 3 as the unit boots up. 

This procedure should reset all presets, IR's and Global settings

If that doesn't bring back the factory presets you should re-install the firmware. If it does then you should be good to go!

Hope this helps/makes sense

EDIT:

Please ensure that the version number of your HX Edit software matches the version of the Firmware - i.e. both v.2.92

Edited by datacommando
Info about Deit
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the help. It is a brand new unit. I did a factory reset of the unit and the presets are showing up now.

I tried a couple of the 4CM presets, and I'm getting no sound from my amp. My connections are correct as Schmale indicated; Return type is set as rd2rk inquired, inputs are set at instrument level.

At this point, I decided to just unhook all cables in 4CM and attempt 2 cable method to see if I can get any sound out of the unit. That appears to be working.

• Thanks 1

If you're only using the LEFT FX Loop, you should have a TS cable from the HXS SEND to the AMP INPUT, and a TS cable from the AMP SEND to the HXS LEFT/MONO RETURN.

What happens if you go direct to the amp input, then run a cable directly from the AMP FX SEND to the AMP FX RETURN?

If there's no output, you've got a bad fx loop on the amp.

So now I just rehooked 4CM, and no sound. For giggles, I just bypassed the FX loop in the block and I get sound, so that's a win...but I think it may be bypassing my preamp because the controls on the amp don't work at all. There are no problems with the effects loop in the amp because I've been running a carbon copy through it with no issues. Thanks for any suggestions!

2020-10-20_15h40_32.png

5 minutes ago, Schmalle said:

The amp's FX loop supposedly has bypass according to  https://www.jrrshop.com/panama-fuego-15-head-amp-figure-mango

You might investigate whether that's true and if that might cause the problem.

I looked for a bypass switch and didn't see one. Maybe footswitchable only? But he says he's been running a Carbon copy through it, so....

OP - test the HXS Loop the same way I said to test the amp's FX Loop.

If you're only using the LEFT FX Loop, you should have a TS cable from the HXS SEND to the AMP INPUT, and a TS cable from the AMP SEND to the HXS LEFT/MONO RETURN (I'm hooked up as you indicate here).

What happens if you go direct to the amp input, then run a cable directly from the AMP FX SEND to the AMP FX RETURN?

If there's no output, you've got a bad fx loop on the amp. (I tested this, the output is working fine).

I looked for a bypass switch and didn't see one. Maybe footswitchable only? But he says he's been running a Carbon copy through it, so....

(thanks; you can't bypass the effects loop via footswitch or anywhere on the amp. The company is out of business so tracking any official specs down on it has been tough so I think the description at JRR may be an error).

(Ok, so I went:

Guitar-left mono input

Hx left-mono output - amp input

hx loop send-hx loop return with a patch cable.

I'm getting signal with this too so I assume both loops are working per the test you suggested if the previous routing is what you meant for me to do.

thanks so much

13 minutes ago, corbytownsend said:

If you're only using the LEFT FX Loop, you should have a TS cable from the HXS SEND to the AMP INPUT, and a TS cable from the AMP SEND to the HXS LEFT/MONO RETURN (I'm hooked up as you indicate here).

If there's no output, you've got a bad fx loop on the amp. (I tested this, the output is working fine).

Have you tested the HXS FX Loop the same way?

We're cross posting!

14 minutes ago, corbytownsend said:

(thanks; you can't bypass the effects loop via footswitch or anywhere on the amp. The company is out of business so tracking any official specs down on it has been tough so I think the description at JRR may be an error).

(Ok, so I went:

Guitar-left mono input

Hx left-mono output - amp input

hx loop send-hx loop return with a patch cable.

I'm getting signal with this too so I assume both loops are working per the test you suggested if the previous routing is what you meant for me to do.

thanks so much

To be sure - you tested the HXS Loop using a 4cm preset, just pulled the cable from the HXS SEND to the AMP INPUT from the Amp end and plugged it straight in to the HXS L/Mono Return where the Amp's FX SEND normally (in 4cm) goes?

Guitar>HXS L/Mono Input>FX Loop Block>HXS SEND>HXS L/Mono RETURN>HXS L/Mono OUT>Amp Return

38 minutes ago, rd2rk said:

We're cross posting!

To be sure - you tested the HXS Loop using a 4cm preset, just pulled the cable from the HXS SEND to the AMP INPUT from the Amp end and plugged it straight in to the HXS L/Mono Return where the Amp's FX SEND normally (in 4cm) goes?

Guitar>HXS L/Mono Input>FX Loop Block>HXS SEND>HXS L/Mono RETURN>HXS L/Mono OUT>Amp Return

We are cross posting, I appreciate ya'll trying to help this newbie so much! I've been do damn excited about this thing and been futzing around with it for days.

No, it would appear I tested it incorrectly the first time. I used a 4cm preset, but unplugged the cables from the AMP FX Loop, essentially hooked the unit up in 2CM, but then connected the

HXS SEND>HXS L/Mono RETURN with a separate patch cable. With that, the effects were coming through and amp controls were responsive.

I reconnected 4CM and went through the exact procedure you note above; with this I am getting sound/effects, etc. but the amp controls are now unresponsive.

2020-10-20_18h08_34.png

Just as a final check, 4cm:

Guitar>HXS L/Mono IN>FX>FX Loop L Block (Return Type=Return)>HXS SEND>Amp Input>AMP FX SEND>HXS L/Mono RETURN>FX>HXS L/Mono Out>AMP FX RETURN

If both FX loops work, Amp FX Loop ON, Return Type=Return, FX Loop Block L, and you have 4cm wired correctly, all cables tested, there's no reason I can see for it not to work.

Short of having my hands on your rig (do you live in Colorado?), there's nothing more I can do.

Sorry. Good Luck!

1 hour ago, rd2rk said:

Just as a final check, 4cm:

Guitar>HXS L/Mono IN>FX>FX Loop L Block (Return Type=Return)>HXS SEND>Amp Input>AMP FX SEND>HXS L/Mono RETURN>FX>HXS L/Mono Out>AMP FX RETURN

If both FX loops work, Amp FX Loop ON, Return Type=Return, FX Loop Block L, and you have 4cm wired correctly, all cables tested, there's no reason I can see for it not to work.

Short of having my hands on your rig (do you live in Colorado?), there's nothing more I can do.

Sorry. Good Luck!

Affirmative on all. Thank you so much (all of you) for trying to help me with this! It's much appreciated. Either Sweetwater will help me figure it out or I'll return the unit.

thanks again.

12 minutes ago, corbytownsend said:

Affirmative on all. Thank you so much (all of you) for trying to help me with this! It's much appreciated. Either Sweetwater will help me figure it out or I'll return the unit.

thanks again.

Which unit? The Stomp or the amp? They both seem to be working fine.

In either case, you'd be better off contacting the manufacturers. Sweetwater's support staff are not likely to be knowledgeable enough on either unit to be of much help.

Kind of like bringing your new Tesla to the "We fix all makes and models!" car repair shop.

From what I've heard, Panama doesn't have much of a support structure, but L6 definitely has good people. Give L6 support a shot.

8 hours ago, rd2rk said:

Which unit? The Stomp or the amp? They both seem to be working fine.

In either case, you'd be better off contacting the manufacturers. Sweetwater's support staff are not likely to be knowledgeable enough on either unit to be of much help.

Kind of like bringing your new Tesla to the "We fix all makes and models!" car repair shop.

From what I've heard, Panama doesn't have much of a support structure, but L6 definitely has good people. Give L6 support a shot.

Thanks, I'll try L6. Panama is out of business, I bought the amp used. Hopefully it's just some setting on the stomp or something. Thanks for all the advice.

• 4 months later...