Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp FRFR connection?

kane21014

So I've had issues with my Headrush FRFR and the HX Stomp. Anything that's driven sounds really bad through my FRFR speaker. I'm wondering should i be using a TRS cable instead of a standard instrument cable? Do i need to change anything on my HX stomp in the settings?

Not the cable's fault. You can try using Hi/Lo cuts on the cabs/IRs. You can try various EQ blocks and tricks.

In Global Settings you could try switching the output levels between INST and LINE.

The same results using my FRFR112 are what caused me to get a Powercab112+.

Something that MIGHT help is to stand farther from the speaker, and put the speaker on a short stand at about chest level.

The separate HF/LF drivers require some distance from your ears for them to mesh properly, and being off the floor helps cut the boominess that the FRFR112 is known for.

BUT, if you get the speaker too high (ear level) you might get ice-picky sound.

The PC112+ has a coaxial speaker, so the sounds reach your ears mixed and at the same time. I still prefer it off the floor though.

If none of that helps, and you can't afford/don't like the sound of the Powercab, come back with some more specific info about what it is that sounds bad, someone might have some more specific suggestions. But try the above first.

When linking the HX Stomp with the Headrush a TRS cable prohibits added noise along the cable caused by electromagnetic fields. It also brings the possibility to lift ground which eliminates hum introduced by ground loops. There are no settings to enable/disable this.Technically it's always on, but it has no effect on TS cables since the ring is shorted to ground in that case.

TS vs TRS does not change the sound as stated by @rd2rk.

• Upvote 1

rd2rk i've tried the raising Headrush to chest height and do have a high cut around 9K and a low cut at 90HZ. The only way i can describe it is that the lowest three strings in specific sound sloppy and Harsh almost like a knarly Fuzz in a way. I've tried Jason Sadites paid for presets and they just don't sound nearly the same. I have two different guitars that are drastically different. One is Agile LP with EMP 81/85 and the other is a Standard strat stock spuire affinity so i know the presets will need tweaked to work for both but honestly neither guitar sounds good? i'm just getting frustrated and it may be the FRFR because my Cheap Pre-Sonnus headphones sound much better but still not to my liking. I'm going to invest in some beyerdynamic-770-PRO either 80OHM or 250OHM and see if i can get get sounds from there. If i do then ill think about getting a Powercab instead of the headrush  

1 minute ago, Schmalle said:

When linking the HX Stomp with the Headrush a TRS cable prohibits added noise along the cable caused by electromagnetic fields. It also brings the possibility to lift ground which eliminates hum introduced by ground loops. There are no settings to enable/disable this.Technically it's always on, but it has no effect on TS cables since the ring is shorted to ground in that case.

TS vs TRS does not change the sound as stated by @rd2rk .

To add to this, the noise reduction mentioned is only an issue with cable runs over 20 feet. At those lengths you can get a short TRS/XLR adapter cable and use XLR cables. Again, it won't affect TONE, but XLR cables are cheaper than really long TRS cables.

16 minutes ago, rd2rk said:

To add to this, the noise reduction mentioned is only an issue with cable runs over 20 feet...

No. It depends on the strength of the alternating electromagnetic fields that are introducing noise. Longer cables only increase the probability of picking up noise by such sources.

4 minutes ago, kane21014 said:

rd2rk i've tried the raising Headrush to chest height and do have a high cut around 9K and a low cut at 90HZ. The only way i can describe it is that the lowest three strings in specific sound sloppy and Harsh almost like a knarly Fuzz in a way. I've tried Jason Sadites paid for presets and they just don't sound nearly the same. I have two different guitars that are drastically different. One is Agile LP with EMP 81/85 and the other is a Standard strat stock spuire affinity so i know the presets will need tweaked to work for both but honestly neither guitar sounds good? i'm just getting frustrated and it may be the FRFR because my Cheap Pre-Sonnus headphones sound much better but still not to my liking. I'm going to invest in some beyerdynamic-770-PRO either 80OHM or 250OHM and see if i can get get sounds from there. If i do then ill think about getting a Powercab instead of the headrush  

Further to my previous reply re FRFR112 vs Powercab. The FRFR112 is a PA speaker, designed to project out to an audience.

Powercab is a guitar cab design, intended to give a more AITR feeling in close quarters.

One of the things I like most about the Powercab is the built-in speaker emulations. I've mostly stopped using cabs/IRs in favor of those.

Also, the XLR out on the Powercab, sent to the FRFR112, really fills out the sound, and is much better sounding than the FRFR112 by itself. That combo also allows you to tweak your presets closer to what the audience will hear from the FOH system.

Lastly, headphones are always going to sound like headphones, and if you create presets using headphones, they might not translate well to meat-space.

1 hour ago, Schmalle said:

No. It depends on the strength of the alternating electromagnetic fields that are introducing noise. Longer cables only increase the probability of picking up noise by such sources.

EMP produced by atmospheric nuclear detonation trumps all! :-) 

• Haha 1