Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Time base errantly changing for Optical Trem on snapshot.

Rikthoven

So I have an odd one that I can't pinpoint the cause of.  I have a Helix LT operating on 2.92.   I have a patch where I am using the optical trem to create a chopping effect.  I have the speed set to 7.5 and it does the job nicely.  The peculiarity is that every once in awhile I'll use this patch I hit the Trem, as a stomp box within a snapshot, expecting the moderately fast chopper sound and instead it's incredibly slow.   Going into the patch using HX Edit, if I change the speed base for the effect from clock to "tap" it is set at a 1/4 note.   So maybe what is happening is, every so often the trem speed is deriving it's speed setting from the tap based timing(1/4) instead of the clock based timing(7.5).  All I know for sure is being on stage expecting a high energy chopper blade like effect and getting a slow whomp .......whomp.......... whomp is less than ideal and I'm not sure what the cause may be.   Is it possible I'm "Fat footing" something on the board and hitting something that is causing it to either change the clock or flip it into Tap mode?   I am not tapping out the timing on this effect, nor do I purposely hit the tap button while using the patch.    Thanks for any advice/help!

On 10/20/2020 at 4:50 PM, Rikthoven said:

So I have an odd one that I can't pinpoint the cause of.  I have a Helix LT operating on 2.92.   I have a patch where I am using the optical trem to create a chopping effect.  I have the speed set to 7.5 and it does the job nicely.  The peculiarity is that every once in awhile I'll use this patch I hit the Trem, as a stomp box within a snapshot, expecting the moderately fast chopper sound and instead it's incredibly slow.   Going into the patch using HX Edit, if I change the speed base for the effect from clock to "tap" it is set at a 1/4 note.   So maybe what is happening is, every so often the trem speed is deriving it's speed setting from the tap based timing(1/4) instead of the clock based timing(7.5).  All I know for sure is being on stage expecting a high energy chopper blade like effect and getting a slow whomp .......whomp.......... whomp is less than ideal and I'm not sure what the cause may be.   Is it possible I'm "Fat footing" something on the board and hitting something that is causing it to either change the clock or flip it into Tap mode?   I am not tapping out the timing on this effect, nor do I purposely hit the tap button while using the patch.    Thanks for any advice/help!

On 10/20/2020 at 5:06 PM, rd2rk said:

In Global Settings>MIDI/Tempo, check the setting on Tempo Select. I'm not sure which setting you need because I never use the Tempo functions, try them all!

I thing rd2rk put his finger on it. This setting can have a huge impact on the tempo within the snapshots in a preset/snapshot depending on what tempo they were saved with. Same type of thing applies to the global setting for the expression pedal("EXP * Pedal Position") where for example if you always want the volume to reflect the position of the pedal you need to set it to "Global". 

It comes down to whether or not you want your tempo to follow what you set at the snapshot level with each snapshot potentially following a different tempo, have all snapshots follow the same single setting for that particular preset, or have all presets and snapshots follow the same single tempo you set in the global settings(MIDI/Tempo --> "Global BPM"). You can of course always change the tempo for whichever global setting choice you made("Per Snapshot", "Per Preset", "Global") by using the tap tempo switch.