Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Functionality With Fbv Shortboard Mk Ii

aaronsol

I have looked through the forums but didn't fully find any info on this:

When using the FBV Shortboard or even the bigger one with 2 pedals.....   Do the lights light up when you change to the different A,B,C,D buttons?

I didn't know if the new firmware was going to make that part work yet or not.    I had the longboard with the two pedals working pretty good before the firmware update but the lights always just had patch A lit up and the tuner was funky too.  I haven't had it back to test it after the firmware but I have the shortboard to test and it just says FBV MKii  on the display but when you press the different patches or banks they work great.  It is just kind of hard to know what bank you are on.

Travis

moonK9, on 03 May 2014 - 10:08 PM, said:snapback.png

I bought the shortboard for my 150 and soon returned it. While it seemed to work SOME, for the $199.00 I expected it to work seamlessly, which it does not. See some of the responses above for verification of this.

Now with the iPhone app completely unuseable, I'm seriously questioning why I ever bought the 150. Without the floor control (that was promised would work in the initial ads for Amplifi) it's almost useless live. Since my 30 days have passed, I'm stuck with this now.

Good news is the app works great now!

That's not much good news.  I had high hopes for the AMPLIFi, but now understand how useful it may be to a student, and how useless it is to a musician.  There are numerous issues.  First, there is a USB for 'future use', but no PC app interface as there is with their Pod series and most anything else.  Second, while I have no issue with Apple products, believing that they are in fact great options, they are not the only options. I'm kinda tired of Line 6 doing everything Apple, and here with the AMPLIFi line, literally no other option.  This product is useless unless you have an iPad on a stand next to you, and you must stay next to that stand.  Even in a practive environment, I'm all over the place.  That's why I bought their Line 6 wireless for my guitar rig, so I can jump around.

Of course, you may are satisfied with using only four presets with very little control from the pedalboard...rediculous.  I was looking for the perfect little brother for my main rig (G50 wireless -> Bad Horsie 2 wah -> Line 6 Pod HD500 -> BBE -> MosValve -> Genz Benz 2x12").  Could have considered this if we could use the Bluetooth/multi-functionality if I was able to Line 6 link my Pod to it, but nope.

This is a great bedroom or apartment setup where the AMPLIFi is sitting on the floor with the guitar on a stand next to it, with the mandatory iPad on the bed of coffee table next to that.  I guess that's its target and that's fine, but I wish they'd made a version that's a little less of a toy.  If the 150 was available with a Pod HD Pro X built into it and cost $1000, I'd buy it and the shortboard.  I could control it, set it up and really use it in a realistic, practice/jam session environment.  Hell, done well enough you could probably use it for gigs, going out of it directly into the house sound.

The few things that these do that are in fact very cool indeed just do not overcome the limitations that make it useless to a working/serious guitarist.

P.S:  The answers to all of the questions above and more should be available in the product information.  We shouldn't have to learn it ourselves, and or learn it from other customers after the fact.  The section on iOS for these units should specify clearly that the ONLY control access is via iOS device.  That would have prevented me from wasting a bunch of time looking into it, and would have spared me having to write this.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone,

Purchased a Amplifi 150 over the weekend and the FBV Mk II Shortboard today. Enjoying both a lot. The firmware update for me took almost 90 minutes BTW...

I looked thru the forums but didn't see an answer to these two questions:

1) Is there any purpose (at this time) for the "Function 2" button on the pedalboard? Everything else works as intended (including the tuning screen where some folks noted it was haywire in the past).

2) Is there any need to update the firmware on the pedalboard? I frankly don't know which version is on it, and seeing everything is working (sans the Function 2 button), just curious if there were any new features.

You know, if they made the ability to control the transport (play/pause, previous/next) of the music playing on the iPad with the FBV, that would be AWESOME.

Thanks in advance...

Adam

Just curious, is it possible to customize the order of the 100 presets came with the latest firmware (beyond copying them to the User presets?) I'd like to move those that I use most together and there are more that four so they are easier to get to on the Shortboard.

Thanks,

Jason

• 2 weeks later...

My understanding is the same. You can change the 4 presets but not the individual fx. But my amplifi is due with me soon so I will be trying my fbv mkii short board with it to confirm

Hi, I have an older FBV shortboard foot controller (not MKII) compatible with PODXT that it can be used to Amplifi 150? 
Thank you and waiting for answer

I am experiencing a significant delay when switching between presets that use different amp models.  Both Amplifi 150 and SBVMkII firmware have been updated.  Im really loving this amp, but the delay would pretty much make it impossible to use live (at least if I wanted to switch to differnt amp models in the same song).  Im new to Line6 hardware, so maybe this is not just an Amplifi thing?

IS this while an iOS device is paired?

That's it.  The pause between presets is much improved when I don't have a device paired with amplifi.  Too bad for now though.  In my head it would be fun to have an ipad on a mic stand during a show.....just to be fun.

Just curious, is it possible to customize the order of the 100 presets came with the latest firmware (beyond copying them to the User presets?) I'd like to move those that I use most together and there are more that four so they are easier to get to on the Shortboard.

Thanks,

Jason

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks,

Jason

You can drag and drop them into a different order using the ios app.  Make sure you've got the latest firmware update then go to the screen that shows all 100 slots.  Then drag and drop to your heart's content.  Just remember to back up or move a tone as dropping a tone on another overwrites it.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm glad they've updated it so you can access the 100 presets using the Shortboard.  I had a really hard time justifying a $200 foot controller that only allowed me to change between 4 patches but this makes it worth it in my opinion and I will now purchase one.  I too noticed a significant lag when changing between presets while the remote app is active but no lag when switching directly on amp.  It did seem however that the patch changes quickly but the delay is for that change to be updated on the remote app, at least this is how it was switching between the patches on the app, I don't have the Shortboard yet so can't speak on that. 

Also maybe someone of you know this already but I noticed that you can adjust the FX parameter (see the remote app to see what it's assigned to in which patch) and the Reverb directly from the amp, that might help to give more options if you're using the just the Shortboard & amp without the remote app. 

I am using my original foot controller that came with the Vetta head.  (The original Mk1 !!!)

It works fine for a short while then freezes on the controller display although the switches still work so I can patch up and down and turn the effects on and off, I just have no idea without looking at my iPad what preset I am on.  Is this a glitch for the App or with the foot controller?  I was advised when I bought the Amplfi that it would work thanks to the legacy support.

Loving the sounds and looking at recording with it soon.

I Am also using The shortboard mk1 and it works perfect. The display follows iPad with a little delay and without iPad it reacts instantly.

However der is a noise from The amplifi 150 when The shortboard mk1 is connected, The noise is not influenced of The AMP volume and disapears when i disconnect The shortboard. Could it be / Is there any difference in ethernet cables?

- i dont have The original shortboard cable, i use standard cat5 cables...?

-love The AMP to, would love more stereo effect ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

So just to clear (as I seem to be reading some conflicting comments!) - the FBV Shortboard DOES allow control of all the functions of the Amplifi 150 ? I am thinking of buying one but don't want to do so if it's simly to scroll between A B C and D ! If I buy a brand new FBV Shortboard...how can I tell if it's a MK1 or a MK2 ??

• 2 weeks later...

well i bought the amplifi 150 amp i really am trying to like this amp, its has great potential but when you get over one hump you run into  another, 

i bought the fbv mkII short board to go with amp, it works great ......then wham frozen sometime it will change sound but you have  no clue what sound you brought up because it wont change on mkII board or it just freezes wont do anything you have to umplug mkII plug back in and works for a little then same thing, also blue tooth works then kicks out then connects again on its on, i think this amp can be the next big thing as the advertice, but they need to get amp working flawless with os and mkII  till then its just a practice amp will never be good for live perfomance, and even with the delays in fixing this amp with usb and blue tooth patience is running thin, i really want to give this amp a shot if its not working by the new year it will be time to sell amp.come on line6 lets get this going and let it be the amp it was intented to be. anyone else having this problem please post it on line, maybe this will get line six going to fix it. and reply to fix problem would be greatly appreciated tks.

well i bought the amplifi 150 amp i really am trying to like this amp, its has great potential but when you get over one hump you run into  another, 

i bought the fbv mkII short board to go with amp, it works great ......then wham frozen sometime it will change sound but you have  no clue what sound you brought up because it wont change on mkII board or it just freezes wont do anything you have to umplug mkII plug back in and works for a little then same thing, also blue tooth works then kicks out then connects again on its on, i think this amp can be the next big thing as the advertice, but they need to get amp working flawless with os and mkII  till then its just a practice amp will never be good for live perfomance, and even with the delays in fixing this amp with usb and blue tooth patience is running thin, i really want to give this amp a shot if its not working by the new year it will be time to sell amp.come on line6 lets get this going and let it be the amp it was intented to be. anyone else having this problem please post it on line, maybe this will get line six going to fix it. and reply to fix problem would be greatly appreciated tks.

Have you tried calling them?  I don't have the shortboard because I'm not sure if I want to spend $200 on it.  I wish they would offer it at a nice discount for current Amplifi owners.  I think it's an amazing practice amp for the money but if I were playing live I'd want better equipment but that costs $$$$$.  I can't say it enough though, for the money with all the features it has it's well worth it.  I don't think the problems you're having with the shortboard should be normal though, I'd call them.  Let me know how it goes, I hope you get it resolved.   

I was on another thread here before I bought my gear and I thought I'd grasped this with the Shortboard mk||. When used with the amp you'll be controlling 4 presets there is no more. But, hooked up to an iPad you have the control of the bank up and down and presets for each bank.

I bought my amp yesterday and got the shortboard at the same time. I feel £169 is too much to control 4 presets I hope I haven't got the wrong idea. Amp 4 IOS bank up and down will work.

I picked up the AMPLIFi 150 this past Friday.  This is my very first Line 6 product.  I did my research and was interested in the iOS interface.  I'm a total tube snob and the AMPLIFi is my first solid state amp since a Traynor TS-10 which my dad bought me with my first electric back in 1982.  I also have never liked effect boards, DSPs and modelers... always sold them off and went back to pedals.

So, I was skeptical with this amp, but gave it a shot.  I was totally impressed and my first run went 4 hours in my study.  The amp lived up to the hype.  I then read this and other posts and after seeing Rowbi's video, went out and picked up the FBV Short Board Mk II from my local GC today.  It works exactly as described.  The F2 button is useless, but everything else works as described.   I downloaded a bunch of tones over the weekend and assigned them to the banks.  It was great to be able to use the board and bank up and down then pick the tones.  The change was almost instant on the iPad.  Really both devices interoperate very well with the amp.  I don't think I could go back to just using the iPad alone.

Thanks to Rowbi for helping me pull the trigger on the FBV.  I am really enjoying this Line 6 gear.

• Upvote 1

I picked up the AMPLIFi 150 this past Friday.  This is my very first Line 6 product.  I did my research and was interested in the iOS interface.  I'm a total tube snob and the AMPLIFi is my first solid state amp since a Traynor TS-10 which my dad bought me with my first electric back in 1982.  I also have never liked effect boards, DSPs and modelers... always sold them off and went back to pedals.

So, I was skeptical with this amp, but gave it a shot.  I was totally impressed and my first run went 4 hours in my study.  The amp lived up to the hype.  I then read this and other posts and after seeing Rowbi's video, went out and picked up the FBV Short Board Mk II from my local GC today.  It works exactly as described.  The F2 button is useless, but everything else works as described.   I downloaded a bunch of tones over the weekend and assigned them to the banks.  It was great to be able to use the board and bank up and down then pick the tones.  The change was almost instant on the iPad.  Really both devices interoperate very well with the amp.  I don't think I could go back to just using the iPad alone.

Thanks to Rowbi for helping me pull the trigger on the FBV.  I am really enjoying this Line 6 gear.

Thanks for the positive review.  I've been considering getting the FBV shortboard but the cost relative to the price of the amp has been holding me back a bit. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My question is this I have just bought a SH Line 6 Spider valve 112 Mk11 and a FBV shortboard Mk 11 connected with an Ethernet cable all I get on the display of the shortboard is FBV SB M11 and no lights on the buttons and no way to switch between Wah and Volume. If I press any buttons on the pedal it does change settings on the amp but there is no display change on the pedal. I have updated the firmware for the pedal and calibrated as instructed by the online manual. When getting to the point of pressing D after verifying that the pedal is changing through 0 to 127 it sticks at whatever position the volume/ wah pedal was at and that is it. Is it a cable problem or a fault with the amp or fbv?

Hi I have checked the lead, it is fine and the pedal seems to be OK. I noticed that the firmware on the spider valve 112 is 1.17 I have attempted to update it with monkey but it is not seen with the cat5 lead connected to the fbv shortboard and the USB to the computer. I disconnected everything and tried a USB to MIDI link between the computer and the amp; selected the spider valve 11 from the list and chose to update the amp. It downloads v2 and tries to update but then comes to a halt with an error message, suggesting I try again. I have ensured that the midi leads are connected properly (out to in and in to out). My question is this. Does the amp need to be set to a state where it will accept the update?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Hi I have checked the lead, it is fine and the pedal seems to be OK. I noticed that the firmware on the spider valve 112 is 1.17 I have attempted to update it with monkey but it is not seen with the cat5 lead connected to the fbv shortboard and the USB to the computer. I disconnected everything and tried a USB to MIDI link between the computer and the amp; selected the spider valve 11 from the list and chose to update the amp. It downloads v2 and tries to update but then comes to a halt with an error message, suggesting I try again. I have ensured that the midi leads are connected properly (out to in and in to out). My question is this. Does the amp need to be set to a state where it will accept the update?

Any help would be much appreciated.

From reading the manual, it seems that the spider valve amp will only work with the FBV when it has v1.18 or higher. This seems strange to me that a company would release a product that is incompatible with a vital accessory without it being updated. I do not know how old my amp is, as I bought it second hand, so it would appear that the previous owner never used a footswitch. I still need to know whether the amp will just allow me to update via midi without it being in a particular mode, obviously the amp doesn't see the FBV and the FBV doesn't see the amp (its display reads: FBV SB M11, when plugged to the Spider), so midi is my only option.

best to contact support: http://line6.com/company/contact/ either call or open a ticket.

i don't think that updating via midi is an option.

From reading the manual, it seems that the spider valve amp will only work with the FBV when it has v1.18 or higher. This seems strange to me that a company would release a product that is incompatible with a vital accessory without it being updated. I do not know how old my amp is, as I bought it second hand, so it would appear that the previous owner never used a footswitch. I still need to know whether the amp will just allow me to update via midi without it being in a particular mode, obviously the amp doesn't see the FBV and the FBV doesn't see the amp (its display reads: FBV SB M11, when plugged to the Spider), so midi is my only option.

Update. I have sorted my problem. First  I used a Midi Mate 11 to update the firmware (This is a premium USB to midi lead) it is now on v2.0. I changed the lead to a Cat 6, the one I was using was a Cat 5. So Phil_m was correct. I tested the Cat 5 and it worked but obviously it was not good enough for the data flow between the FBV and Spider valve.

I would like to thank you for your advice in helping me to sort this frustrating episode. I hope my response is helpful to others.

Cheers

I recently bought the Amplify 150 with the FBV Shortboard MKII. It lets me store presets in multiple banks (way more than I need).

One major glitch I found is with the stomp and function petal.

For example if I set preset 1 with modulation, stomp or function 1 off, and preset 2 with a new sound and those items on, when I toggle between 1 & 2 the sound changes but the modulation, stomp or function 1, stay on. I have to turn them off manually.

If I have two presets where those are both off they stay off.

Anyone else having this problem or know the fix? Is it a software bug?

Hello all,

Can someone please clarify how the FBV Shortboard MkII can be used to select all the different banks available?  If the Function 2 button does not work, how do you select and scroll through the different banks using the board?  I'm mostly interested in this feature for live performance.

Also, does anyone know if this functionality is the same when the Shortboard is used with the Amplifi Table Top version?  I assume it would behave the same way.  But does anyone know for sure.

Thanks,

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Changing presets (at least on the same bank) is inmediate. You can use the mkii to select all banks and presets, but you have to move through banks 1 by1 pressing bank up and bank down and then press the desired preset (A,B,C,D).

I need a little clarity on the Apmplifi 150 and the Shortboard MKII.

So although there are 4 presets as choices on the amp is it my understanding now that the amp itelf now has the ability to store 100 presets internally that can be accessed via the shortboard or is it still requiring the IOS device and drawing from that?

Is there still delays in sound while switching between presets?

Is the tuner in the MKII accurate now?

Thanks in advance for the answers.

In response to the OP, I've also recorded a video showing what I detailed previously about how to use an fbv short board mkii with amplifi:

Note that it's not an audio demo it's just to show what the fbv SB mkii can do.

Enjoy

Rowbi

can the expression pedal in the FBV control the whammy effect? i can't seem to get it to do that at all

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all. Can someone say if the mk1 work fine with the amplifi75? I saw the compatibily chart but i didnt find the mk1. Someone try it? What are the diferences between each other? I know the mk2 have usb port but i wanna know if i can use like Rowbi use the mk2 in the video.

Sorry for my english but i do by best. :'(

Thank you all.

it's not listed because its no longer sold or officially supported.. HOWEVER... it will work.

Hi all. Can someone say if the mk1 work fine with the amplifi75? I saw the compatibily chart but i didnt find the mk1. Someone try it? What are the diferences between each other? I know the mk2 have usb port but i wanna know if i can use like Rowbi use the mk2 in the video.

Sorry for my english but i do by best. :'(
Thank you all.