Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Clean preamp/amp

ruperthawkes

Turn the drive parameter down on anything Fender-ish (plus some more) and you'll get pristine cleans.

I would however agree that Line 6's amp default settings are almost horrible all throughout, causing even amps wellknown for their great clean tone (such as a Twin) to become a mushy driven mess.

24 minutes ago, SaschaFranck said:

Turn the drive parameter down on anything Fender-ish (plus some more)

… and also the Master.

35 minutes ago, ruperthawkes said:

Is the Helix only intended for metalheads?  

Well, it certainly appears to be their main target group… :)

I'm using the Fender Twin, AC30, Hiwatt and Soldano models with a Les Paul (pickups switchable between serial and parallel).

All those models have nice clean sound capability, it just needs to be balanced carefully between Drive, Tones and Master while fully cranking up the Channel Volume. The latter does not color the sound in any way.

Most of the time I'm using the AC30 because I like its overdrive sound the best. I'm not using any overdrive blocks/pedals otherwise, just switching Clean/Crunch/Overdrive snapshots.

Additional trick is to use a gentle compressor for a more "present" clean sound. If you want something that "just works", put the LA Studio Comp at the end of your signal chain. Just as they would do in a studio.

1 hour ago, lou-kash said:

I'm using the Fender Twin, AC30, Hiwatt and Soldano models with a Les Paul (pickups switchable between serial and parallel).

All those models have nice clean sound capability, it just needs to be balanced carefully between Drive, Tones and Master while fully cranking up the Channel Volume. The latter does not color the sound in any way.

Most of the time I'm using the AC30 because I like its overdrive sound the best. I'm not using any overdrive blocks/pedals otherwise, just switching Clean/Crunch/Overdrive snapshots.

Additional trick is to use a gentle compressor for a more "present" clean sound. If you want something that "just works", put the LA Studio Comp at the end of your signal chain. Just as they would do in a studio.

Or you could use a proper guitar like a vintage Telecaster. Then the Twins default settings are golden right away. ; )

• Downvote 1