Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Help to setup a preset for use a HM-2 with Helix

Jal-9000

Hi friends, i'm a happily new owner of a HX Stomp since a pair of weeks. A couple of days ago I shared a "hm-2 alike tone" on the Customtone, because I couldn't setup properly my BOSS HM-2 to sound with my HX. Tried with my Behringer HM300, but same problem... all sounds like crap. Not a nice crap like Entombed sound, no... just crap.

Tried on the input, tried on the loop, tried a few amps, owhnhammer ir's, but nothing good.

What am I doing wrong? Is there any way to make this pedals understand each other? xD

Please, help! :D

3 hours ago, Jal-9000 said:

Hi friends, i'm a happily new owner of a HX Stomp since a pair of weeks. A couple of days ago I shared a "hm-2 alike tone" on the Customtone, because I couldn't setup properly my BOSS HM-2 to sound with my HX. Tried with my Behringer HM300, but same problem... all sounds like crap. Not a nice crap like Entombed sound, no... just crap.

Tried on the input, tried on the loop, tried a few amps, owhnhammer ir's, but nothing good.

What am I doing wrong? Is there any way to make this pedals understand each other? xD

Please, help! :D

What are you using for monitoring? Headphones? Studio monitors? A guitar amp? A PA speaker? A consumer stereo?

3 hours ago, Jal-9000 said:

Sorry, I should do a better job of reading.

"Good" is subjective. It's hard to know what you're hearing and what you want to hear, but...

If I had your gear, well, I probably wouldn't even bother with the distortion pedal, since the HX has plenty of them, but if I was going to use it, I'd put it in the loop, because if you use anything like a noise gate, wah, sometimes a compressor, most of the time you want those before the distortion.

After that you really just have to tweak it to get what you want. Pay special attention to levels coming out and going into one block to the next and one device to the next. If you crank everything up full nothing will sound good. Try a simple setup with just your pedal in the loop and a 4x12 cab sim. Your pedal is essentially a preamp, you don't really need an amp sim although the combination of the two can sound good. But since you're struggling to get something useable, just start with that and try to dial in the pedal first to get a useable sound and then start swapping in amp models and other cab sims and IRs and EQ blocks to get it closer to what you want. I don't think anybody's going to be able to give you a particular amp model or cab sim to use with your specific pedal that'll make it sound the way YOU want because you're the only one with the sound in your head.

Hope that helps.

1 hour ago, zappazapper said:

Sorry, I should do a better job of reading.

"Good" is subjective. It's hard to know what you're hearing and what you want to hear, but...

If I had your gear, well, I probably wouldn't even bother with the distortion pedal, since the HX has plenty of them, but if I was going to use it, I'd put it in the loop, because if you use anything like a noise gate, wah, sometimes a compressor, most of the time you want those before the distortion.

After that you really just have to tweak it to get what you want. Pay special attention to levels coming out and going into one block to the next and one device to the next. If you crank everything up full nothing will sound good. Try a simple setup with just your pedal in the loop and a 4x12 cab sim. Your pedal is essentially a preamp, you don't really need an amp sim although the combination of the two can sound good. But since you're struggling to get something useable, just start with that and try to dial in the pedal first to get a useable sound and then start swapping in amp models and other cab sims and IRs and EQ blocks to get it closer to what you want. I don't think anybody's going to be able to give you a particular amp model or cab sim to use with your specific pedal that'll make it sound the way YOU want because you're the only one with the sound in your head.

Hope that helps.

Good advice here. I'd add that the Loop tends to add some noise to external distortion pedals. You may need to use both the Noise Gate on the Input, and another AFTER the Loop. You'll want the Global Settings for the Loop set to whichever option, Line or Inst, that adds the least noise. Usually that's Inst, but try both. You may also want to try (because Global Settings works in S/R pairs), using one Loop for SEND and the other for RETURN, so you can set them separately. Of course, that eats two blocks, but hopefully v3.0 will arrive soon. Since the S/R Blocks are low DSP, and you wouldn't be using an Amp, it could be a wash. Moot point until v3.0 arrives,, but you can experiment with it until then.

Pray for v3.0! SOON! SOON! SOON!

On 10/21/2020 at 10:15 PM, zappazapper said:

It's not so hard... just hear this: 

This is exactly what I want to reach. I want to sund nearest as I can to this.

This is 95% HM2, but just need to know witch amp and setup I need to achieve this sound, and where in the chain-sound do I need to put the external pedal.

I tried also to use just the HM2 and a IR and sounds like sh*t... xD

How do you know the HM2 is 95% of what that tone is? Did you read that somewhere? And if you did, did it mention what the other 5% is? What guitar? What pickups? What amp? What speaker? What cabinet? What mic? What mic preamp? What EQ? What compressor? 

There's so many other things that will affect a sound, I have a hard time believing that a distortion pedal is 95%, and if it was, you should be 95% of the way there and it doesn't sound like you are. Like I said, nobody's going to be able to give you the exact answer, like what amp and what cab or IR to use. You have to experiment and tweak and find it, especially if you're using an external effect. You might be able to find tones online that don't use your external effect that get you close and then you can sub in your pedal and see if it gets you closer. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have had good luck with the Legacy Model Based off the Metalzone:

drive 40%, bass 100%, mid 100%, treble 60%, output 75%.

Also the Stupor OD and Parametric EQ blocks together works well together with the chain Parametric EQ -> Stupor OD -> Amp/Cab/IR blocks

stupor od - drive 10, tone 8, level 10.

parametric eq - 

lo freq 88hz/low Q 0.5/lo gain 10dB

mid freq 245hz/mid Q 5/mid gain 0dB

high freq 1kHz/high Q 1.5/high gain 9dB

lo cut off/high cut 3kHz/level 0dB

First method (heavy dist) is a good LHP/ Clandistine/Dismember tone. Method two (Stupor OD + Parametric EQ) is good Wolverine Blues and To ride, shoot… tone.

I use either The Brit 2204 or PV Panama Blocks for amp but any block should do.

Hope this helps @Jal-9000

FD12052B-EE74-4A07-98BC-ABBB34CC0266.jpeg