Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Coming from M series to Helix

kevs22

The way you use the Helix only has to be preset based if you want it to be. I generally try to do more with less presets. I've never owned an M-series, but I rented an M9 years ago, so I get the idea. It's like a pedalboard in a single unit, with "scenes" as opposed to "presets". You could definitely set the Helix up similarly. You know how to assign footswitches to Bypass Assign and Control Assign, right?

You probably don't want to hear it, but you REALLY SHOULD READ THE MANUAL!

PODGO has 6 switches, plus MODE and TAP/TUNER.

Depending on the MODE, the switches can be used to:

Stomp Mode - 6 block bypass switches

Snapshot - 4 Snapshots

Preset - 4 Presets per bank, bank selected using the UP/DOWN switches

PODGO, while not having all the options of it's bigger siblings, is anything BUT all preset based.

I don't even own one. This is just what I learned about PODGO from 5 minutes reading the manual.

You should also sign up over on The Gear Page. The Digital and Modeling Forum has a lengthy dedicated PODGO thread with HUNDREDS of participants discussing their experiences with PODGO, and answering each other's questions.

Thanks reading the manual and learning, but it's a beast of complexity- and anyway has nothin to do with what i asked thanks..   

Would be nice if some folks who used the M extensively can comment - which is the original thread point..

Are people using this ok for Live settings, even with all the complexity involved.

Well, the POD Go has Stomp and Snapshot Mode as well, so it should be relatively easy to turn individual effects on and off in a preset. But, yes, it’s still a preset-based device (the M series devices are, too, really). If you want immediate access to effects parameter, the Helix or HX Effects are a little faster because you can use the capacitive touch footswitches to immediately navigate to a block.

But, yes, I done a bunch of gigs with both the Helix and the HX Effects, and I actually prefer either of those to my M13/M9 rigs (which I used from 2008 until the Helix was released). It takes a little bit more planning up front, but in the end, it’s less tap dancing at the gig. You really need to take advantage of snapshots, imo, to get the most out of these units. Once you understand the concept, you’ll wonder how you lived without them for so long.

Don't understand, "capacitive touch footswitches to immediately navigate to a block."

What is that? And what does Podgo do?  

Thanks Phil, ok will explore snapshops, but still isnt the M 9/13 easier to get to stomps with virtual pedalboard?  You just click scene and then a stomp and you have 6 or 12 new pedals. Even with snapshots, can only put podgo 4 duplicate of same pedal in a preset.. just seems a lot more hairy. no?  And everything will be in a preset (with amp off if have live amp)

22 hours ago, kevs22 said:

Don't understand, "capacitive touch footswitches to immediately navigate to a block."

What is that? And what does Podgo do?

Hi,

Capacitive touch sensitive foot switches are not featured on the POD GO, but they are on the Helix family products.

Take 15 minutes and watch this - better than a thousand words.

Hope this helps/makes sense.