Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

The sound of the POD GO over our PA

audinsuro80

Hello. I used the Pod Go for nearly two weeks now. And I think the options are great. But there is something I don´t understand.

I create my sounds at home, over my DAW (Studio One 4.5 Professionel) and use most times an Headphone (Beyerdynamik 880 Pro),

which I also use for mixing. The Channel is without any inserts or effects. And the sounds sounding very well. But if I plug my POD Go

into our PA, the sound isn´t the same. It´s very harsh and not the same as at home. Has someone an idea, why this sound is so different?

(My two channels in the PA are without any equalizing, also flat).

Regards Andreas

Hi,

1. How many cables are you connecting in your Pod Go and which sockets in your Pod Go are you physically connecting to?

2. what type of cables are you using to connect your Pod Go to your PA?

3. What length of cable(s) are you using?

4. Have you set your main outs to Line level (if that sounds harsh have you tried changing it to 'amp level') 

5. When you say PA, I assume from your description this a bona-fide PA with a mixing board, (rather than you connecting Pod Go direct to dedicated powered-speakers?)

When connecting to a PA it's usually best to connect Pod Go via XLR cables.  Although Pod Go doesn't have physical XLR sockets, it has the equivalent. From p6 of the manual, you should be using balanced TRS cables to connect Pod Go to your PA board.  These are exactly the same as XLR cables.  You can use a 1/4" balanced TRS cable(s) to connect Pod Go to your board if your board has 1/4" TRS inputs.  If your board only has inserts for XLR connectors, you can easily buy a 1/4" to XLR connector cable that will allow you to connect a double-ended XLR cable to Pod Go, like these and cost only £3.49 UK each:

https://www.gak.co.uk/en/stagg-sac-male-xlr-to-stereo-jack-cable-1m3ft-sac1psxm/119051?gclid=CjwKCAjw_sn8BRBrEiwAnUGJDlhb3IQ9QjWNUqBTjAN1S0bCBSEm_9RErYNpzIpA-6U8NZpf3b6BbRoC060QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

stagg-sac-male-xlr-to-stereo-jack-cable-

image.thumb.png.b3b3e5cf2e5d8203fac84e6b94568e82.png

Hello Andreas,

I also go direct into our PA with my POD Go. I experienced the same result just like you did.

I am no sound engineer but I guess the reason might be the different frequency spectrums between home studio and PA.

You have headphones vs ears, headphone out jack vs PA mixer/speakers. As well as the sound differs with different guitars.

At the beginning I created sounds monitored with headphones directly on the POD Go. Just like you did.

I was surprised what I heard in the real band situation. Really something else - haha.

Now I create my sounds directly conneted to our PA. Doing this the sound is great. 

Alternatively I pre-create sounds at the desktop and finalize them connected to the PA.

I experienced the same „issue“ with Impolse Resposes. I succeeded in creating really good sounding amp sounds using IRs.

But it was difficult for me to find a stock distortion which sounded great as well.with this combination.

Maybe the frequencies of POD Go’s stock distortion models are primarily designed for the frequency range of the stock amp models.

As @olerabbitsays, create your tones in the environment you want to use them in. For the sound you want to hear from the PA, connect to the PA to sculpt that tone. It will sound different in your headphones. And vice versa. 

Can you create the perfect tone for both? I think one or the other, or both will have to have some compromises. Otherwise, sculpt specific tones for each environment.

I'm not a POD Go user, but have experienced the same with my Helix LT. It has nothing to do with the unit itself.

Try lowering the high cut on your cab or IR block to somewhere between 5 and 6 KHz. You may even go lower if you're using a SM57 mic on your cab. In addition, use the treble and presence controls of the amp to get the optimal tone.

Attaching a couple of IRs for you to try and experiment with; start with cutting at around 7 KHz and then work your way down at gig volume to get rid of the harshness. The 412 files work great with the Marshall amps, the 212 with Fender or Vox models.

HXIR_212_Voxy.wav HXIR_412_4Cabs.wav HXIR_412_V30_3Cabs.wav

• 10 months later...
On 10/23/2020 at 8:36 AM, voxman55 said:

Hi,

1. How many cables are you connecting in your Pod Go and which sockets in your Pod Go are you physically connecting to?

2. what type of cables are you using to connect your Pod Go to your PA?

3. What length of cable(s) are you using?

4. Have you set your main outs to Line level (if that sounds harsh have you tried changing it to 'amp level') 

5. When you say PA, I assume from your description this a bona-fide PA with a mixing board, (rather than you connecting Pod Go direct to dedicated powered-speakers?)

When connecting to a PA it's usually best to connect Pod Go via XLR cables.  Although Pod Go doesn't have physical XLR sockets, it has the equivalent. From p6 of the manual, you should be using balanced TRS cables to connect Pod Go to your PA board.  These are exactly the same as XLR cables.  You can use a 1/4" balanced TRS cable(s) to connect Pod Go to your board if your board has 1/4" TRS inputs.  If your board only has inserts for XLR connectors, you can easily buy a 1/4" to XLR connector cable that will allow you to connect a double-ended XLR cable to Pod Go, like these and cost only £3.49 UK each:

https://www.gak.co.uk/en/stagg-sac-male-xlr-to-stereo-jack-cable-1m3ft-sac1psxm/119051?gclid=CjwKCAjw_sn8BRBrEiwAnUGJDlhb3IQ9QjWNUqBTjAN1S0bCBSEm_9RErYNpzIpA-6U8NZpf3b6BbRoC060QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Can I use this cable like in the photo (balanced 1/4 to xlr) to connect my pod go to a headrush frfr 108? 
i am using a balanced trs to trs to connect, using a 1/4 to xlr would sound better?

On 9/2/2021 at 3:26 AM, LukeVRT said:

Can I use this cable like in the photo (balanced 1/4 to xlr) to connect my pod go to a headrush frfr 108? 
i am using a balanced trs to trs to connect, using a 1/4 to xlr would sound better?

I use a Stagg 1/4" to 1/4" high quality balanced TRS 3 metre cable. There's no difference in quality with an XLR as the Pod Go outs are XLR equivalent quality - Line 6 didn't add the 3-prong XLR out connection because of unit size limitations.  The cable you've highlighted is fine as the FRFR108 allows for both 1/4" and XLR connectors.  You might want more than a 1m cable though! 

You have a translation problem most likely. Most likely your PA has 1" or 1.5" horns and they are hot around 3K...No idea, you didn't mention what you have...Hotter than your Beyers most likely tho. Beyers could be a little lame in that badwidth too. I doubt it tho. You have to keep in mind when you listen to a PA you are hearing the room too...The room can boost junk like this...So unless the PA has been tweaked to be somewhat flat in the room, then your test is probably folly. Headphones don't have a room to contend with...If you want to check your PA without room correction, set it up outside. no room outside. 

• 1 year later...
On 10/23/2020 at 6:36 PM, voxman55 said:

Hi, I'm maybe a lttle bit late on this topic, but by using a tsr balanced cable to xlr, did you guys mean plug the tsr to MAIN OUT/RIGHT?

On 2/22/2023 at 4:42 AM, KhanhDam said:

Hi, I'm maybe a lttle bit late on this topic, but by using a tsr balanced cable to xlr, did you guys mean plug the tsr to MAIN OUT/RIGHT?

MAIN OUT/RIGHT and/or MAIN OUT/LEFT (LEFT for mono, both LEFT & RIGHT for stereo)