Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Wanna be a 3.0 beta tester?

datacommando

Posted on TGP yesterday by Frank R.

“Hey guys! Wanna be a 3.0 beta tester? We are looking for a bunch of applicants to apply ASAP. The team will review and select a bunch of you to play with the latest and greatest cool stuff we have going on!

Head to this link, fill out a beta profile, and we will be in touch. Have at it!”

https://line6.com/account/betateams/?fbclid=IwAR2eIsx2P6A8S2lRWrH3IlvVczubQEql3TfiDdd-IK3J09DPfjXJoorpniE

Don’t all rush at once, it’s probably been filled up by now, judging from the reactions on TGP.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SaschaFranck said:

..... Told them I'm no Line 6 fanboy. Would almost take a bet that this will throw me out already. ....

Not at all I think. In my experience Line 6 wants beta testers who want to seek out problems and make sound recommendations for improvement. Fan boys are not good beta testers if all they want to do is extol the virtues of a product. A healthy disrespect is very useful. The desired attitude is "I want to bring this thing to its knees and make it crash spectacularly!"

Edit: added the word ‘not’ which was originally omitted....  Fan boys are not good beta testers.....

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, silverhead said:

Not at all I think. In my experience Line 6 wants beta testers who want to seek out problems and make sound recommendations for improvement. Fan boys are good beta testers if all they want to do is extol the virtues of a product. A healthy disrespect is very useful. The desired attitude is "I want to bring this thing to its knees and make it crash spectacularly!"

I sort of tried to say so in my application, no idea whether I managed.

However, I have been betatesting for plenty of audio software companies for a long time (20+ years and still going, for a selected bunch at least) and it has often been that programmers didn't like it if you put your fingers on certain things too often - even if it was most horrible bugs, misconceptions and what not. I signed off the beta testing program for quite some of these companies because IMO you'll run into diminishing returns quickly. So this is what I'll tell people beforehand ever since, after all, I'm willing to spend a considerable amount of my time for their products to get better (usually without any payment but getting the software for free - which doesn't even apply in case of the Helix). There's not much space for treehugging left.

Registered - we shall see!  LoL

Anything to help. I've done lots of this kind of thing and am used to following NDAs, which might help.

But whoever does it, I'm happy they're entering that level of prep of final builds of the firmware!  Very exciting!

1 hour ago, donkelley said:

Cool, I'm in.

And for anyone wanting to know what's new in 3.0, well, to quote the world's loudest band,  "It's one louder, i'n't it?"

NDA signed.

I said I would be a master at it,I guess that was the beginning of the end of my chance.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, spikey said:

I dont have the time to do this "correctly", but I appreciate their offer in allowing users to do this!

Exactly. I filled in the page then just before I hit submit I thought to myself.... "where did you find the time to do this if you are chosen?"

Page closed :) 

I am glad they appear to be expanding their test group. I guess it's possible they are just replacing a few that are gone, but an open invitation like this suggested it's being expanded. 

25 minutes ago, datacommando said:

Missed your chance to get a tuner in the HX Edit software! 

I know you are joking... but I do wonder how many people filling in the application mistake "beta testing" as becoming part of the team that decides what features live or die? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, codamedia said:

I know you are joking... but I do wonder how many people filling in the application mistake "beta testing" as becoming part of the team that decides what features live or die? 

Yes, it’s my usual poor attempt at being amusing, just joshing “spikey”, but my thoughts about why some folks are applying for this role,  mirror yours precisely.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, codamedia said:

but I do wonder how many people filling in the application mistake "beta testing" as becoming part of the team that decides what features live or die?

Fwiw, out of personal experience (I did - and still do some - lots of betatesting for audio software), this always depends on the developer (crew). I've been in some test cycles when it was all almost solely about bug hunting and on others when there was still plenty of space for new features and wishes to be discussed.

However, I give you that, quite obviously, in this very case, I would highly doubt that the latter would apply (as it's a quite late development stage). But there's always the moment when you need to hop on board. Needless to say, they haven't chosen me, but that's fine. I'll find the leftover bugs (as with 2.9...) and complain publically, hah!

Much as I would love to get 3.0 early what with my rigorous pandemic schedule of nightly gigs, hanging out with friends, eating out at restaurants, and traveling the globe, I just don't have the time (heavy sarcasm)  :-)   Seriously though I think it's great that Line6 is inviting in a larger group of beta testers. I can think of several frequent and particularly technically adept contributors to the forum and TGP who would probably be quite good at it. Getting the firmware/software out to some of the user base to find bugs should prove quite helpful as that wider pool will use the equipment in ways that a small test team might never think of or have the time for.  Nothing like an end user to find a way to make something break. Honor those NDAs people but I'm here for you if you feel you just gotta have someone to confide firmware details with (just kidding emoji inserted here). I promise not to tell anyone   :-)

3 hours ago, HonestOpinion said:

Seriously though I think it's great that Line6 is inviting in a larger group of beta testers.

It is a great thing , but sadly that invitation was originally posted on TGP.

The home team on this forum were overlooked for some unknown reason.

C’est la vie.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, datacommando said:

Yes, it’s my usual poor attempt at being amusing, just joshing “spikey”, but my thoughts about why some folks are applying for this role,  mirror yours precisely.

I just did it to request looper features.

kidding....

• Haha 1

By the way, I had my free lesson with Doc today online - one hour on skype.  amazing experience.... learned a ton, solved some of my problems/questions, got some good suggestions, and also got to talk through some of the 3.0 features as well once I literally lifted my helix up to the camera to prove I was running beta fw (which makes sense).

What a great guy Doc is - and so informative.  Also emailed me back later with a corrected answer to one of my questions from the lesson!

Line6 is one heck of a great company

1 hour ago, datacommando said:

t is a great thing , but sadly that invitation was originally posted on TGP.

The home team on this forum were overlooked for some unknown reason.

Well, we all know that TGP is Line 6s de facto forum. Which, no matter how you put it, isn't necessarily the best decision. Don't get me wrong, it's probably a good idea to be active on social media and forums, but it's not a good idea to be pretty much completely inactive on your very own forum.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, SaschaFranck said:

Well, we all know that TGP is Line 6s de facto forum.

Ah, maybe not the de facto, there is also a presence on that Line 6 Helix Family User Group OFFICIAL and ORIGINAL on FBook.

Very quiet in here though - always the last to know.

Or possibly not, the Helix Native section of this site is even worse. The last update from DI in that area was in January 2018, informing users of HX Native v1.50.