Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Computer crashed while upgrading brand new Helix floor

helixprser292

Hello -

I followed the instructions in Line6 website to upgrade but my computer crashed during the upgrade process.

Now my Helix floor displays "Boot Failure.  Entered Update Mode!" with :-3 error code on the top left corner.

imageproxy.php?img=&key=183b093d1325c787imageproxy.php?img=&key=183b093d1325c787imageproxy.php?img=&key=183b093d1325c787imageproxy.php?img=&key=183b093d1325c787imageproxy.php?img=&key=183b093d1325c787imageproxy.php?img=&key=183b093d1325c787imageproxy.php?img=&key=183b093d1325c787imageproxy.php?img=&key=183b093d1325c787

Should I send the unit back? I was planning on playing with it all weekend and now I am screwed.

It seems the update progress was about 50% when the computer crashed.

I tried uploading pictures here but does not work, will try to reply with pictures.

Thanks for your help.

imageproxy.php?img=&key=183b093d1325c787

Hey guys, thank you so much! I was able to get it running by resetting in update mode and then using the Line 6 Updater (instead of HX Edit) to upgrade, after that it booted just fine.  I love this new toy.  Not sure why the people complain so much about the presets, so far I have found 30 solid high gain presets, very happy with it so far.  Keep on rocking! :)

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, aliefazhari said:

I already downloaded the updater. No device found. I also uninstall-reinstall the software a few times. Still no good.

Hi, 

These instructions were originally done for a Mac so double check that if I left anything in that mentions Mac it will really mean your PC.

O.K. Here we go again.

First go to the "DOWNLOADS" menu at the top of this page and from  "-ALL HARDWARE-" select Helix, then leave the "-ALL SOFTWARE-" as it is, now select your PC OS from under the "-ALL OS-" tab, then click “GO”.  From the next page you can select HX Edit 2.92 for your Helix, then below that you will also need the Firmware 2.92 Flash Memory. Now scroll right the way down the page where you will find Line 6 Updater version 1.9. 

Download all these items to your Computer.

Ensure that HX Edit is closed and that you have your Helix connected to your PC by USB cable (do not use a hub, some front USB ports on PCs act like a hub) and hold down Foot Switches 6&12  while turning the power on. (You may see a black screen, but keep going). 

Now, launch the Updater Utility and select "Offline Mode". Your Helix and current firmware version should now show up in the window, click on the dark green coloured band and you should now have the option to select a  local file - point it at the Flash Memory file you downloaded and let it get on with the update.

When it completes you can install the new HX Edit v.2.92 and you should be good to go.

Hope this helps/makes sense

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My brand new out of box Helix Limited Edition Gold also just caused my Windows 10 laptop to crash right in the middle of firmware update.  So there's at least three of us with the same exact problem....  I believe in coincidences occasionally, but this is just too much.  What is going on with the software, or driver that's causing this???????????????????

This is not a good first impression for a device at this price point.

59 minutes ago, DigitalZen said:

My brand new out of box Helix Limited Edition Gold also just caused my Windows 10 laptop to crash right in the middle of firmware update.  So there's at least three of us with the same exact problem....  I believe in coincidences occasionally, but this is just too much.  What is going on with the software, or driver that's causing this???????????????????

This is not a good first impression for a device at this price point.

The problem is usually Operator Error caused by not reading the update instructions.

This is further complicated by not reading the previous posts in this and the 50 other threads started by folks who don't know how to use the search function.

Try it, you'll like it!

• Like 1

On 12/1/2020 at 8:51 PM, rd2rk said:

The problem is usually Operator Error caused by not reading the update instructions.

This is further complicated by not reading the previous posts in this and the 50 other threads started by folks who don't know how to use the search function.

Try it, you'll like it!

Thanks for the useless response. Much appreciated.

btw,  this thread was located using the search function.

20 minutes ago, DigitalZen said:

Thanks for the useless response. Much appreciated.

btw,  this thread was located using the search function.

You didn't ask a question, just ranted on about stuff that's been answered 100 times elsewhere.

None of us work for L6, and you're not paying us to listen to you vent.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, DigitalZen said:

Thanks for the useless response.

That's all well and good, but you didn't say if you had tried any of the suggested remedies posted above.

You simply griped about the fact that your computer had crashed "right in the middle of firmware update".

With any computer system that can happen out of the blue.

How you concluded that this incident was caused by your very expensive "Helix Limited Edition Gold", I've no idea, but it's interesting that you have predetermined that's the cause.

It is very rarely true that a glitch in the firmware will actually turn your device into an paperweight, so try some of the reset/re-install options that have worked for others.

If all else fails you can contact Customer Support who will advise you, because the only people in here are other Helix users - No line 6 staff!

Hope this helps /makes sense.

• 6 months later...

Holy smokes, thank you!  This saved my night.  My computer powered down inexplicably in the 2 minutes I walked away from it, and I thought I was completely screwed. I have waited so long to get this device, and was so careful to check and double check that I was getting the firmware install correct.  I was getting the boot failure message, and the hx edit wouldn't detect the device, and I was looking at waiting 12 hours to put in a call to line 6 support and having a full on screaming meltdown...and then I did a couple of searches and found this thread and the flippin' Line 6 updater worked....it detected my helix and completed the update. 

• Upvote 1

On 10/24/2020 at 9:38 AM, helixprser292 said:

Hey guys, thank you so much! I was able to get it running by resetting in update mode and then using the Line 6 Updater (instead of HX Edit) to upgrade, after that it booted just fine.  I love this new toy.  Not sure why the people complain so much about the presets, so far I have found 30 solid high gain presets, very happy with it so far.  Keep on rocking! :)

On 10/24/2020 at 9:38 AM, helixprser292 said:

yep that is what happened to me about an hour ago,bsod interrupted update.The helix edit is easy and great but my freaking computer screwed it up so yes the old line 6 updater worked thank God.After update then helix edit recognized helix its all good now yaaay.

8 hours ago, cgar18 said:

After update then helix edit recognized helix its all good now yaaay.

That’s great to know that you managed to resurrect your box of tricks. Update failures are rarely terminal, but they sure do scare the hell out of many, many users.

;-)

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Despite automatic updating being turned off in Windows, my computer still decided to update halfway through my firmware update for my Helix LT. After windows restarted, the Helix was unable to connect to my PC using HX Edit. It kept telling me "Boot failure" and the program kept telling me it could not connect. Fortunately I had installed the Line 6 Updater and gave it a try after attempting to use the HX Edit a few times to no avail. It is currently updating but I was extremely pissed at Microsoft and sent off a nasty gram telling them they had almost created an expensive paperweight. Basically, run the Line 6 Updater if you cant get it to update or connect through HX Edit.

• Upvote 2

On 8/15/2023 at 3:16 AM, lawsonshawnm said:

Despite automatic updating being turned off in Windows, my computer still decided to update halfway through my firmware update for my Helix LT. After windows restarted, the Helix was unable to connect to my PC using HX Edit. It kept telling me "Boot failure" and the program kept telling me it could not connect. Fortunately I had installed the Line 6 Updater and gave it a try after attempting to use the HX Edit a few times to no avail. It is currently updating but I was extremely pissed at Microsoft and sent off a nasty gram telling them they had almost created an expensive paperweight. Basically, run the Line 6 Updater if you cant get it to update or connect through HX Edit.

I bought a Helix back in Jan '21.

My computer crashed during the first firmware update - I set it going, went for a smoke, came back to a rebooted computer and the Helix being unresponsive. First instinct was, 'okay, switch the Helix off and back on again, see what happens - worst case, I box it up and send it back to the shop.'

Reboot came up with some error code, IIRC, so I opened the Line 6 updater, plugged in and crossed my fingers. Twenty minutes later, the Helix was fully updated.

Experience has shown since then, it's important to read the instructions when doing firmware updates, and it's not easy to turn a Helix in to a 'paperweight' without a hammer.

The (W10) computer update/crash in some first update scenarios, suggests (to me) that the Line 6 Edit software requires some 'Windows 10 add-on' that those of us who 'manage' our W10 updates ourselves missed out on - I'm speculating, since it doesn't happen to everyone.

When 'we' turn off automatic updating, it's a bit rich to go blaming Microsoft for the computer misbehaving.

Some peeps need to get a grip - not aimed at you, by the way.

I'd hate to be in an actual life or death situation with some of these forum members.