Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Headphones for Pod GO

kondradd23

Hello,

I'm looking for good headphones for my new Pod Go. I'm having trouble choosing between closed, open and semi-open headphones. I also have problem with correct impedance of headphones. Do you think that 32 Ohm headphones are enough? I initially chose a few headphones:

• Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO 80 Ohm
  • Beyerdynamic DT 990 Edition 32 Ohm
  • Beyerdynamic DT 880 Edition 32 Ohm
  • AKG K702
  • and from a lower price range AKG K240

Do you have any recommendations?

Hi, the Pod Go is 32 Ohms so I'd advise against any 80 ohms versions. There are two headphones that seem to be particularly well regarded for studio monitoring (which is what you really need for an MFX like the Pod Go) - the BeyerDynamic DT770 Pro 32 Ohms and the Audio Technica ATH m50x  38 Ohm - both are studio quality monitoring headphones that sound great. I have the ATH m50x that comes with a carry pouch and 3 detachable leads -  a 3-meter coiled cable, a 3-meter straight cable, and a 1.2-meter straight cable. Typical UK price £110-130.  It's collapsible and comes in different colours too although mine are just black.  The BeyerDynamic DT770 32 Ohm has a fixed lead and is non collapsible.  My only concern with the DD770 was that if the lead go's, which all leads can, it's a problem to replace.  I also liked being able to collapse the ATH m50x.

But both the DT770 Pro and the ATH m50x are great quality and very well regarded, and both are similarly priced and are similar performing albeit there are some tonal response differences.  I think you'll be fine with either but here's a comparison review that you might find helpful:

https://www.headphonezone.in/blogs/buying-guide/comparison-beyerdynamic-dt-770-pro-audio-technica-ath-m50x

Thanks for Reply :)

Since Pod Go has an impedance of 32 Ohm, shouldn't I use headphones with higher impedance? For example in this site https://musicgearzone.com/4-best-headphones-for-helix/
they recommend for helix (with 12 Ohm output impedance) headphones with minimum 80 Ohm impedance. So why you don't recommend to use 80 Ohm headphones for Pod Go?

I made enquiries with Beyerdynamics as to which version would be best with the 32 Ohm output rating of Pod Go and they advised the 32 Ohm version.  My m50x sound excellent.  I'm afraid I lack the technical expertise to comment on the article or the authors premise that the higher impedence the better the sound quality so I'm afraid I can't guide you here. 

What are you trying to do?   The 32 vs 80 ohms won't make a world of a difference.  The higher the impedance, the more juice you'll require to get the same volume.   But, the higher ohms version is superior in terms of sound quality; so ex beyer says: 32 ohms for portable, 250 for home on stereo system, 600 ohms with dedicated headphone amplifier.

Just tried, 50% volume on 32 ohm headphones is about as loud as 80% on a 600 ohms headphone, which ends up about normal listening level.  Maxed the 600 ohms aren't really much louder, so not very loud at all.  The 32 ohms are uncomfortably loud maxed.  So with 80 ohms you should have plenty of volume/power, even if you're trying to damage your hearing.

Generally, open headphones have a better sound than closed headphones.  But closed headphones obviously block outside noises while open don't. 

So if you need closed or you think closed would be better, of that list the DT770 is the obvious choice, but you could also add as mentioned the audiotechnica ATHM50x something, or the AKG K550 or K551.  Think they're all good choices.   https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/akg/akg-k550/

For open, the 990 is bright and bass heavy, so if that's what you're looking for, good choice.  If you're looking for a more balanced sound, then the 880 are a much better choice, as is the AKG Q701 or 702.  Sennheiser 599 is also decent, light & comfortable, if you can find a good deal (~100usd), good buy.  HD600 is a classic, but more expensive.  But true, the massdrop 6xx for $220, great buy.  It's similar to the classic HD600 might arguably be the most iconic headphone ever.  But it is 300 ohm ... 

But as I said it depends what you'll use them for, probably for general stuff as well, so getting open would give you the better sound for the money.  But they won't block out sound, and everyone will hear very loudly what you're listening to or playing.  So open are 'better', but if you need closed, then you need closed...  I'd say skip the 990, so that leaves the 880 or the Q701/K702, both great and can't really go wrong with either; both have their fanbase and are classic/great headphones.  and 6xx.

The 6xx is basically the HD650 which was the 'successor' (never really replaced, kinda more like a side-step / brother) to the iconic HD600, and you'll find hordes of fans which will tell you that they're the best headphones ever.  FWIW, I once heard the 650 and I wasn't overly impressed, but these 3 (6xx, 702, 880) are imho pretty much all classics and great buys.   If you'll use them for other stuff, computer, music, etc., you might also consider getting an amp, like schiit has a 99$ amp which is great.  There's plenty of even cheaper amp options also.  Then you'd also have a great listening rig.

Further to my last post I found the email response I had from Beyerdynamics:

My Question was sent to help@beyerdynamic.com: (this was based on the erroneous info that the Pod Go output impedance was 63 Ohms when in fact it's 32 Ohms - so the response is arguably even more relevant)

Hi guys, I wonder if you can advise me please as I’m confused by what appear to be 5 different versions of the Beyerdynamic DT770 pros headphones.

16 Ohm

32 Ohm

80 Ohm (Studio & monitor versions?)

250 Ohm.

I want to use this for the headphone input of my new Line 6 Pod Go guitar multi-effects processor that has a headphone output impedance of 63 Ohms but also use on my desktop PC computer for music etc. So I'm completely confused & don't want to buy the wrong ones.  Ideally, a volume control would be useful – I’m also confused re the 80 Ohm as there seems to be Studio and Monitor versions – I think the only difference is that the Monitor variant appears to have a (volume?) control on the cable – do I have that right? As far as I’m aware this seems to be the only version with this control.  If so, this could be very useful for plugging into my computer too, so I can easily control volume.  I’d appreciate any clarification & advice you can give me, thanks.  I’m guessing the 80 Ohm Monitor version with the volume control (is it a volume control) on the cable would be the best sounding/best fit for my needs but I’m just not sure

Response:

thank you for your mail.
I really would recommend you the version with an impedance of 32 Ohm.
It is the right one to use it on your guitar systems as well on your PC or laptop. 
The 80 Ohm version would probably overload your systems and your sound experience would not be as good. 
Please note that none of them has a manual volume control on the cable. 

Best regards,

Simon Dulle
KUNDENSERVICE / CUSTOMER CARE

• 4 weeks later...

I just happen to already have the Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO 250 Ohms.  Would the Pod Go really sound that much better with the 32 or 80 Ohm version?  Enough to justify buying another set?  From reading elsewhere, it sounded like the biggest difference would be that the 250 Ohm version would require more volume but would allow you to hear more detail.  I also read that the lower Ohm version might sound a little more bassy but that ultimately it would just be a preference.  What do you think?  Anyone tried both versions?

I see the response from the Beyerdynamics CS rep above but CS reps aren’t always as knowledgeable as we might hope.  

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Hey Guys,

I’m having trouble getting enough volume from my Pod Go through the Phones Out jack into my ATH M50x headphones. With the Master cranked and the channel level set to max in the Amp Block, clean tones are at what I’d consider a usable volume, but this is obviously not ideal. When playing from the main out into the power amp of my 1x12 combo, everything sounds great, plenty of headroom. Is there a setting I’m missing for specifically boosting the headphone output? Since some of you are using my exact same phones, I thought I’d see if you had any ideas. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

After much deliberation I purchased the DT 770 Pro - 80 ohms variant a few days ago for use with my Pod Go and Focusrite 2i2: thankfully it works quite well. Loud enough for me at 50% volume on both devices.

The DT 770 pro is as expected.. excellent clarity, rugged design and the 80 ohms variants comes velar cushion for ear cups and is very comfortable.

• 3 years later...