Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Decent acoustic amp

ruperthawkes

8 hours ago, ruperthawkes said:

It would be nice if line6 added a decent acoustic guitar amp model like the AER compact 60

The only thing that really distinguishes an acoustic guitar amp from an electric guitar amp is the frequency response of the speakers...so assuming that you're monitoring through some sort of FRFR output, then everything you need to emulate an acoustic guitar amp is already at your fingertips...EQ, some light compression (if you're so inclined), and maybe one of the mic-pre models. A dedicated acoustic guitar amp model isn't necessary.

• Like 1

I fully agree with everything said for far. 

FWIW, I use this chain for all of my acoustic instruments.... including Acoustic, Nylon String, 5 String Banjo, Mandolin, Dobro. 

The settings change, but the chain is the same. 

Gain (to adjust input level) > LA Studio Pre > Parametric EQ > IR Loader (optional) > LA Studio Comp > Hall Reverb > Gain (to adjust final level)

There are a few IRs floating around on the Internet, which emulate acoustic preamps such as Mama Bear D-Tar and Fishman Aura -- those IRs would be your acoustic (pre)amp. 3sigma also sells very nice acoustic IRs for electric, piezo and soundhole guitar. IMO they work very well.

My acoustic presets are much like codamedia's -- plus a touch of chorus and/or delay as appropriate. However, I put the IR as the first block in the chain; my rationale is that if it emulates a preamp (plus possibly do some guitar tone matching) then it should be the first thing in the chain.

Also, some have reported that it's better to have an acoustic guitar into the return of the effects loop, instead of the main guitar input. I haven't tried myself to see the difference.