Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Using POD Go as just an FX unit?

rwinking

I have a HELIX Rack and floorboard and love it of course. Sometimes it is overkill for certain gigs, rehearsals. I use only the FX on it and then have the amp models as a backup, which I have never needed. I was looking at the POD Go and saw something about it always having an amp model in every preset which is something I probably would never use. Is it worth while to get one just to use for FX? I generally love Line 6 FX (the reverbs are somewhat "meh") and I sold all of my pedals except a couple that I can integrate with any Helix stuff and it looks like the Go has an FX loop too.

What do you think as far as using it just for FX or is there another unit that would be better for that like the Stomp or HX FX?

thanks in advance,

rick

The pod go is limited to 4 free fx blocks. That is the only thing you have to keep it mind, if that would block your needs. If it's the case the hx fx or also the M series would be a better choice if you only need fx.

• 2 weeks later...

G'day all,

I have recently tested the Pod Go (and had sales stuff demo) and overall, and on a very limited sample of two short sessions, I'm quite impressed with the unit as an upgrade to my Pod HD Desktop/Bean.  

I note the discussion here around the four free effect blocks, the resulting limitations, and ways to mitigate the issues.

On another thread, someone has suggested using their Pod HD for supplementing effects for the Pod Go.  I wonder if there's any thoughts here as to whether that could work or would just muddy the tone - depending on the effect chosen? (Say maybe a delay or reverb at the end of the chain?)

Or would it be better to get a standalone delay or reverb (a true bypass unit?) that would colour the sound less when used or bypassed?

Cheers in advance for any views - as a home-based guitarist, its hard to justify spending around twice the Pod Go cost for a Helix LT, when its full (extra blocks) capability will rarely be required. 

On 10/28/2020 at 9:42 AM, cristt said:

The pod go is limited to 4 free fx blocks. That is the only thing you have to keep it mind, if that would block your needs. If it's the case the hx fx or also the M series would be a better choice if you only need fx.

The pod go is limited to UP TO 4 free fx blocks - it could be less depending on the amps/fx models selected.  Sorry to be pedantic, but it is an important distinction. 

I went ahead and picked one up and really like it. The annoying thing about it and hopefully they may change it is even though you can use up to four FX blocks (which I use for FX, 4CM with an external amp) there is a fifth one, the parametric EQ, that you can turn on or off but would be nice if it were optional as I rarely use it. For anyone new to this, as an example, I bypass the amp/speaker cab and just use the FX. I can use a distortion, tremolo, delay and verb and that's itI can change any one of those to something else but always four. Then there is the parametric EQ, which you can't swap out for any other FX. You get a choice of eqs but you can't swap it out for say, a chorus or compressor. It would be nice if they change it at some point.

rick

4 minutes ago, rwinking said:

Then there is the parametric EQ, which you can't swap out for any other FX. You get a choice of eqs but you can't swap it out for say, a chorus or compressor. It would be nice if they change it at some point.

rick

Agreed. Being a Helix floor user, I dismissed the PODGO when it was first announced. But after a time I started to investigate it more. It does more than I originally thought and now I have one as my backup/rehearsal device. I am quite pleased with it and understand its limitations. It would be nice if some of these limitations were lifted at some point. 

Same with me...I use the Helix rack for my main rig and this is a great small gig/rehearsal rig, I would love it if I could swap that eq out for something else. I don't think it would be that big of an issue for them to pull this off.

8 hours ago, silverhead said:

I suggest that, since you already have it, you try using the POD HD in the FX Loop of the POD Go. It may very well satisfy you and not ‘muddy the tone’. If you’re not satisfied you can explore other options.

Thanks, I’ll try this if I go PG. The HD still offers good tones to my ears but lacks of pedals is frustrating 5 years on. 

Just for some perspective I had a look at the HX LT online - (obviously) it’s a much larger unit and over twice the weight. Certainly an consideration for folks with compact ‘guitar rooms’ or when travelling or jamming with friends?  It makes the above workaround look appealing. (;-)

Pod Go

14.1x 8.75  (not 9.1 as in the spec) x 3.5  5.5lbs

Helix LT

20.87 x 11.93 x 3.66 inches, 12.5 lbs

It was the size & weight that put me off Helix LT as I wanted something Light and with a small footprint as my den is small & tight on floor space.