Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp Effects Chain?

meramhall

Normally on a pedalboard with effects going into an amp (valve-amp at least) the chain would be this:

Wah --> Compressor --> Overdrive --> Equalizer --> Pitch --> Modulation --> Level(Volumep) --> Echo/Reverb

Which    -->  Chain     -->    Of    -->     Effects    -->    Pedals  -->   Makes       -->         Life       -->      Easier

Analog speaking I have:

George Dannis GD40 Wah  -->  Empress Compressor  -->  Paul C:s Timmy  -->  Sweetsound Moj Vibe --> TC Electroninc Flashback     ->  T-Rex Room Mate  

But what order should I chain my effects in - inside the HX stomp:

1) To go directly into my amps

2) To go into the FOH mixer

Does it matter or is it solely a matter of taste. Of course going into FOH I would likely us up one or two blocks for amp/cab block/blocks

Cheers: Dixiechicken!

There is a somewhat logical order that effects tend to go into, but nothing is necessarily wrong. 

For example, wah pedals tend to go before distortion pedals and amps because if they came after you would be wah-ing the distortion, which wouldn't be wrong, but it wouldn't be that classic wah pedal sound. On the other hand, modulation effects like chorus tend to go after distortion because otherwise you'd be distorting the chorus effect instead of chorus-ing the distortion, which again, isn't wrong, just isn't the sound most people are familiar with. So it just depends on what you're going for, something "classic" or something more "experimental" and/or different. 

2 hours ago, meramhall said:

Does it matter or is it solely a matter of taste.

It's solely a matter of taste. 

If you always ran your effects before the amp... there is no reason to change now.

I always suggest that new users start by replicating what they know best.... then experiment/expand from there.