Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Can Helix FX replace 6-way pedal on Marshall DSL40CR?

BobOD

Just bought a Marshall DS40CR and the 91016 6-way footpedal (which I both love!)  and am wondering if Command Center function on the Helix FX could replace the functionality of all six buttons the Marshall footswitch. Anyone know?

Also, is a specific type of cable required?

Thanks in advance.

Bob O'Donnell

Ah right, hadn't considered the MIDI angle. Out of curiosity, do you know if the non-MIDI route would work? (Asking to see if it's possible to avoid getting a longer MIDI cable to run from the HX effects back to the amp...)

3 hours ago, BobOD said:

Ah right, hadn't considered the MIDI angle. Out of curiosity, do you know if the non-MIDI route would work? (Asking to see if it's possible to avoid getting a longer MIDI cable to run from the HX effects back to the amp...)

That amp will apparently work with a 2-button footswitch as well, but I’m not sure how it handles that. Even if would work with the HX Effects’ EXT AMP out, you would at most have access to two functions. MIDI will give you access to all of them.

@BobOD

Try this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=simaPS7dzLw

The amp seems to use a single cable footswitch input and control 6 functions - check if the footswitch uses TRS or standard guitar lead.

Helix can send to Ext Amp and control TIP, RIng or TIP & Ring with momentary or latching on the buttons.

You may be able to program 3 buttons with latching to send one of 2 states to each of the 3 outputs but I think you may only get 3 different outputs. I don't know without trying.

The footswitch itself is about £80-£100.

Why not use the Helix and the Marshall models in there through a PA or PowerCab?

Thanks. So, turns out the connection between the Marshall DSL40CR and the 6-way 91016 Marshall pedal just uses a standard 1/4" instrument cable (tip-sleeve), yet it's able to have six different settings. Don't know if it's sending out different voltages or something else, but I'm wondering if the Helix Effects can control all six different settings...starting to think it can't (except via MIDI), but would love to hear otherwise.

Also, if you do use MIDI, can you set up the Command Center to just send those messages when you step on a pedal? Also, because there are only six switches on the HX FX, is there a way to have a single pedal step through different MIDI messages ever time you step on it to essentially scroll through the different amp channels (in this case), one by one?

Like Phil_m said - You will likely only be able to switch between two channels using the Ext amp input.

I have a Blackstar HT40 Mkii, which essentially has 4 channels, but try as I might, I can only switch between 2. Midi would probably be your best bet.

Yes, you can get the HX to just send those messages when you step on whichever switch you’ve assigned midi too. I don’t think you could scroll through them on one foot switch, though.

I have both the DS40CR, and DSL100 HR. If it weren't for the MIDI capabilities of the HX FX, I would not have bought it. You can change anything the 6 button footswitch can using the HX FX. I used to own a JVM410H (Man I miss that head. Gonna get another one day) and used the HX FX with that as well. It worked great. The 6-way 91016 Marshall pedal, and the ones that come with the JVM all use a proprietary connection that uses any standard 1/4 cable. The EXT AMP via 1/4 trs cable on the HXFX can only switch the channels , and turn the loop on and off.