Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Spider v mii60 or Spider Jam

innuenstu

Hello all this is my first post here. I haven't used line 6 products (amps that is) in years outside of a spider v 15 I tried out that I felt was atrocious but I do not judge line 6 as a whole by that amp as I know there is some great stuff, actually using a couple of m5's with my other amps. I am interested in these two amps (jam and mii60) for medium size  practice amp mainly to avoid the 8" speaker and as someone who does not enjoy using a computer, smartphone, or tablet with a guitar in my hands and it's just me as a passionate hobby player really tired of my boring click#click#click metronome so the beats and loops on these two amps are right up my alley. I like the fact it's in the amp and nothing else required. I have an S-drum pedal and ditto for my larger amplifiers but I would like the all in one for travel and simplicity.

Now we're talking about technology here digital which nowadays means constant advancement or fall way behind. The Spider V mkii and the previous version you can download the newer software and have up to date modeling along with having a few metronome sounds and drum loops sounds perfect. I guess I am answering my own question but this leads me to what I am baffled by and I say this with all due respect and curiosity. Outside of the recording options on the Jam how is a digital amp ten or slightly more years old still relevant? The knobs and appearance of the amp looks like the last Spider amp I owned around 2003? Are the sounds anywhere near as good as the modern Spider series?

I know newer is not always best  believe me I am the original  Mr. back in my day... but I believe I read that it is analog and not digital but correct me if I am wrong. I barely use high gain and play with overdrive, clean, or voxish type clean or clean with a little rust. Very curious on the guitar sounds of each especially on the jam with it's much older tech. Videos online tell me nothing except what's there not how it sounds, sound is always filtered regardless plus I have hearing loss from the years I was active in bands but anyways. Is the Jam priced more or less for a performer that uses loops etc or more involved in recording over just having a guitar amp? To me it seems other than not having the recording option that these both do the same thing but one is much more advanced in the guitar sound dept. If i have no interest in recording it seems the spider V is the way to go but the rhythm pieces on the Jam seem like they would be fun to play along with and are much more advanced over basic loops of the Spider. If anyone could enlighten me on anything else I'm missing or aim towards the model for me; not worried about amount of sounds but quality, loud volume not a concern, no eight inch speaker, don't need high gain but I know this is Line 6, having something internal to play to or along with. Thank you in advance ~Kevin

First, there is no Spider V15, it's a Spider V20, so I imagine that's the one you've tried. The difference between the 20 and the 60 is night and day in terms of sound quality and flexibility.

- updated modeling based on Amp Farm with new algorithms

- over 70 amp models and 130 effects with full tweakabiliy

- the drum loops, metronome, guitar riffs, tuner, looper

- built in wireless capability

- usb recording

- customtone, and cloud preset sharing

The Spider Jam is 12 year old technology, no warranty, and missing many features of the current Spider V series. I think it's a no brainer to get the newer amp, and my suggestion would be to move up to the Spider V 120 because it will keep up with a drummer if you ever want to jam with other musicians. My $.02

Thanks for the reply I did go with the 60 and so far I am enjoying it. Lots of great presets that are not drenched with every effect to display the amps capabilities. The drum loops and metronome are perfect for what I want and if my feelings remain the same after I purchase the relay 10t I am considering moving up to the 240 as I am a big fan of stereo sound. I don't play much high gain but it's there although I find it needs a lot more tweaking than the other models, a few even sound identical to each other but no matter. The clean sounds and chime sound great and I do like some of the tweed options. I am a reverb and chorus junky while playing alone and there is plenty of that and more. 

Now that I have owned the amp a few days I am going to start making my own presets and keep doing what I'm doing. I purchased the amp at Guitar Center so with some trade ins I won't miss it cost me $150. I have 45 days to return it but if I like it still after a month and I hope I do I'm going for the stereo sound of the 240 and I will sell a few of my other amps. The simplicity of this amp and the amount of options and features are two great things to have in a combo and even though it's just myself I still play 40 watt valve amps in my home that are I guess  "my practice amps" So it would be a great addition. Thanks for your input. ~Kevin