Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Need serious advice on setup

Kedhrin

Hello

I need some serious help with my setup, i'm at a loss. This seems like an extremely simple and very normal setup. 

what i want to have happen:

1. PC machine be ready to go with audio output and recording always setup for guitar/bass on Helix
  2. Be able to play audio from protools and PC at the same time through the same speakers (backing track + recorded audio as needed/experimenting)
  3. Guitar play through powercab 112 only - but also record in protools at the same time

Sounds like something completely normal and acceptable, but doesn't work.

current setup

PC machine hooked up to helix via usb

helix connected into powercab 112 via aes cable (digital output for helix path 1)

external speakers connected to headphone out of helix so i can have isolated audio control of volume

this seems like a simple request, but i'm running into a serious wall with this. Protools requires audio be directed through the Helix, so audio MUST come through the Helix for the PC (both the operating system audio + recorded audio in protools)

If i do not set the output on path 1 to Multi or USB 1/2 - it will not record the instrument in protools. However, if i set the guitar to USB 1/2 or Multi - then it will play audio through the external speakers. Multi also doubles down and plays through the powercab 112 with this setup. If i set it to USB 1/2 - then it will not play through the powercab 112+  - it is not an option. These 2 playbacks must be isolated.

I need the audio to only play for the instrument out of Digital but record in protools, while still enabling me to use my powercab 112.

I posted a thread a while ago about using powercab 112 to record, but thats not what will work for me in this situation. 

Note: I have tried ASIO4All and did not have any luck getting this setup either. Powercab112 does not show up as a recording device in protools, even though it is showing in asio4all.

Does anybody have any ideas ?

In Windows Sound Panel set Playback to Helix. That gets any streaming sources (YT, Spotify, etc) to Helix.

In Global Settings>Ins/Outs, set USB 1/2 Destination to XLR. That gets the Protools and streaming signals to your monitor speakers.

In Protools Preferences (or whatever they call it, I don't use Protools) in the ASIO section there's probably a way to select all of the Helix outputs to be available as Inputs.

Take the Track Input from USB 3/4 or 5/6. If you use 1/2  you'll get the mixed streaming and Helix signals.

Set your Presets' Output Block to Digital. That gets your Direct signal to the PC112. If you leave it set to Multi you'll also hear it through the monitors.

In Protools, there will be a button on each track that allows you to monitor the track's playback. That should be OFF when recording or you'll get an echo effect caused by hearing the latency effected playback through your monitors alongside your Direct signal through the PC112.

• Upvote 1

hey @rd2rk thank you for the information. what daw are you using?

Unfortunately, i have everything setup like you mention except i don't know how to do this protools/preferences thing you mentioned.

i looked in the settings of I/O for protools - helix is automatically all setup in protools, i dont see the ability to reroute outputs as inputs. 1-2/3-4/5-6 are all for the output path options and 7-8 is the dry track, but i dont see the ability to grab the "Digital" output of helix at all. I've clicked and look at every option in I/O that i can think of. 

ASIO4All lets me play at digital and protools records 'something' (very faint and low volume compared to the Helix ASIO) - but then the PC Audio won't route through ASIO4all, even with all inputs turned on in ASIO4all options. i dont think asio4all is the solution and will cause more issues

Does anyone use protools and have an idea of how to make this work?? Protools shows no options outside of IN/OUT channels 1-8

I forgot that I have a copy of Protools First. After reacquainting myself with it I set up the following:

999819689_KedhrinHelix.thumb.png.d81392f32ea2a57883daddb8e8a9964a.png1662766433_KedhrinPT.thumb.png.45bb1fc06aa3cf661f3fedb0f3527080.png

In Global Settings>Ins/Outs USB 1/2 Dest should be set to XLR.

Guitar comes through PC112+

Playback comes through Helix XLR

Remember when creating tracks to specify MONO or STEREO to get the proper choice of Inputs.

Remember to disable TrackInput Monitor (button I) when recording

Sorry if my previous posts were confusing. I don't use Helix as my AI (Scarlett 18i20), and I don't use Pro Tools (Reaper, Ableton, Cakewalk), so I wasn't familiar with the specific terminology. You'd think there'd be standards, but, well, lawyers..............

This should get you there.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, rd2rk said:

I forgot that I have a copy of Protools First. After reacquainting myself with it I set up the following:

999819689_KedhrinHelix.thumb.png.d81392f32ea2a57883daddb8e8a9964a.png1662766433_KedhrinPT.thumb.png.45bb1fc06aa3cf661f3fedb0f3527080.png

In Global Settings>Ins/Outs USB 1/2 Dest should be set to XLR.

Guitar comes through PC112+

Playback comes through Helix XLR

Remember when creating tracks to specify MONO or STEREO to get the proper choice of Inputs.

Remember to disable TrackInput Monitor (button I) when recording

Sorry if my previous posts were confusing. I don't use Helix as my AI (Scarlett 18i20), and I don't use Pro Tools (Reaper, Ableton, Cakewalk), so I wasn't familiar with the specific terminology. You'd think there'd be standards, but, well, lawyers..............

This should get you there.

I dont know why I didn't think of branching the path like that in Helix - i totally forgot you could do that for outputs. I only ever used it for branching 2 paths to 2A, but never actual outputs.

That completely solved this issue. Thanks much!