Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

CPU usage

alanbgonzalez

Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum and I couldn't find the answer to this anywhere online. I have the Helix LT board and am thinking of getting the Helix Native to to avoid re-amping and instead have the need of only modifying the plugin with the dry recording. Something I've learned on my small recording projects is how fast plugins eat up CPU power and I would like to know if Helix Native would use the DSP power from the LT (like UAD interfaces/plugins do to ease up computer CPU usage) when connected or if it's going to draw actual CPU power from my computer. 

Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, alanbgonzalez said:

Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum and I couldn't find the answer to this anywhere online. I have the Helix LT board and am thinking of getting the Helix Native to to avoid re-amping and instead have the need of only modifying the plugin with the dry recording. Something I've learned on my small recording projects is how fast plugins eat up CPU power and I would like to know if Helix Native would use the DSP power from the LT (like UAD interfaces/plugins do to ease up computer CPU usage) when connected or if it's going to draw actual CPU power from my computer. 

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

I think you have misunderstood how HX Native functions. It works as a VST or Audio Units plug in and is entirely powered by your computer and you can use as many instances of HXN as your computer can handle. For example, I often have 7 or 8 instances of Native running simultaneously in Logic Pro X on my iMac with 32GB of RAM along with Arturia Vintage Synth collection and UVI Orchestral Suite. It’s not just for guitars and bass. Your LT is only there to get your dry guitar signal into your DAW, after that you can disconnect it, it’s not part of Native.

Native is the software engine that powers the Helix family of hardware products, which contain either one or two DSP chips that only do one job. Your computer, depending on how much memory is available, can do lots of different things - all at the same time. Nothing is drawing any power from your computer other than it would running any other plugin in a DAW. Essentially, with Native, you are putting the “brain” of your LT into your computer and giving it a turbo charge.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

5 hours ago, datacommando said:

Hi,

I think you have misunderstood how HX Native functions. It works as a VST or Audio Units plug in and is entirely powered by your computer and you can use as many instances of HXN as your computer can handle. For example, I often have 7 or 8 instances of Native running simultaneously in Logic Pro X on my iMac with 32GB of RAM along with Arturia Vintage Synth collection and UVI Orchestral Suite. It’s not just for guitars and bass. Your LT is only there to get your dry guitar signal into your DAW, after that you can disconnect it, it’s not part of Native.

Native is the software engine that powers the Helix family of hardware products, which contain either one or two DSP chips that only do one job. Your computer, depending on how much memory is available, can do lots of different things - all at the same time. Nothing is drawing any power from your computer other than it would running any other plugin in a DAW. Essentially, with Native, you are putting the “brain” of your LT into your computer and giving it a turbo charge.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

Thank you very much for your response. I was planning on recording WDW guitars using different mics on each amp, so that'll makes up for 6 instances of Native, I am imagining it's going to stress the CPU. For some reason I thought it could draw processing power out of the pedal the way UAD Apollo interfaces handle DSP for plugins. But, I understand your point. Thanks a lot!

• Thanks 1