Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Drive/treble hiss/hum

inv3rtTheSky

Im using the pod hd pro for bass guitar. Im setting up a dual amp patch. I noticed when i use a high gain amp or an amp with a little crunch to it, (the guitar amps) there is this ugly static in the higher frequencies. If i turn the gain down (its only at like 60ish) it goes away, but it kills the distorted tone im after. Ive played with the treble and presence. Ive lowered the bias. It seems to help a little, but the noise wont go away. Ive tried equeing it out, but if i lower the highs it kills my tone. Any suggestions?

Try the (standard) single input approach, ie set input2 to VARIAX (sort of NULL setting if you don't use a VARIAX), and see if it solves the static noise issue (it should)..

If doing so you'll find that you need a stronger input signal, use a booster and/or compressor, which is a much better working solution for boosting your signal than leaving the default input settings as they are (ie duplicating your input signal).

For a more in depth explanation of this approach see here:

How to get the original response from the models - HD500/X signals routings explained

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

without being there to know what you are experiencing - 

Much of this is intentional. (and has been a complaint about the units for a decade)

Physical amps, particularly when "gain-ified", have hum/hiss. 

Therefore, you cannot have a true recreation (aka, a model) without it. 

Beyond that, use a noise gate. 

1 hour ago, inv3rtTheSky said:

I have input 1 set to guitar, and input 2 set to variax. There is still a static/hum in the higher frequencies. I cant even use the gain or treble knobs to their potential without hearing the noise.

Having a demo audio would help make a quicker diagnosis.

In case what you are hearing is some sort of dissonant ghost notes that overlap the normal ones, turn down the amp model HUM parameter.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

Thanks for all the replies guys. I think i  found the problem. I live in an apartment, and noticed the situation only happens after around 5pm. Anything earlier and the pod is clear and usable. That makes me think my electrical socket is connected with my neighbors somehow and he must have something plugged in during that time to cause the hiss. I have a furman m-8x2 power conditioner, but that doesnt seem to help the problem. The wall outlet is a 2 prong, so i have to use an adapter because the power supply for the pod pro has a ground. But like i said before a certain time, tthere is no issue of hiss. What else can i use to eliminate the problem?

If audio interference occurs only at certain times and only with the guitar connected (i.e. with no guitar connected it does not happen at all), your guitar (probably equipped with single coil pickups) probably acts as an antenna and picks up the frequencies of something electrical that starting from a certain moment is put into operation nearby.

If so, in addition to using a noise gate as already recommended, perhaps you can further attenuate the noise by using cables with better shielding and/or shielding the guitar for example by placing aluminum foil on the inside of the pickguard (if any).

(One of the reasons some electrical/electronic audio devices like the POD have a metal case is to block interference in and out of radio frequencies, but if you connect something unshielded to them that acts as an antenna, the interference still becomes part of the audio signal.)

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips