Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

New Helix Floor Owner

Jeraxle

Hey all,

Long time no see.  I’m an X3 Live owner from way back and have just recently upgraded to a Helix Floor.  I’m pretty excited about getting into the nuts and bolts of it when it arrives on Wednesday. 

I’m posting to ask if anyone has any tips or suggestions that they found helpful when upgrading from an X3L. 

Thanks in advance and I’m glad to be back!

• Like 1

Not a X3 owner but came over from a POD HD500X.  Chances are you'll get a benefit from understanding the whole signal chain and various block types paradigm as that's continued over into the Helix.  Beyond that you'll probably want to start from scratch with your presets as there are enough differences to make it worth  your while to reconsider how you'll want to do things.  I'd strongly suggest you invest some time watching Jason Sadites Helix channel on YouTube for how to get great tones.  That will make it a whole lot easier for you to understand best practices and such.

• Like 1

Congrats!

I think the main stumbling block for newbies can be the cab block if you're going direct. Some like it - some not so much. I personally think that it offers great results. Just try it out - much to explore.

The 2nd way of cab simulation is the IR block - if you're into heavy rock / metal you might consider York Audio's MES 212 V30 limited 1$ offer . I find them a stellar representation of the Mesa Rectifier 2x12 cab which maybe is the best cab for heavy tones out there [does very nice cleans, too - Cali IV Rhythm 1 *hint hint*] . It's a good way of getting a feel of what good IR's can do for you.

Other then that - play, explore, enjoy!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, bypassvalve said:

Can you run 4 amps at once? 

I suspect with the right very basic amps you might pull it off, but there wouldn't be much left for anything else.  I'm not sure why in the world one would think it's necessary to do such a thing however.  As flexible as some of the amps are such as the Archetype or Placater it's hard to imagine you couldn't achieve whatever tonal behavior you'd want with just the two versions of it (Clean and Lead).  That would leave you with plenty of DSP room for a good selection of other useful blocks in your signal chain.

29 minutes ago, bypassvalve said:

i need rectifier + mark IV + lonestar clean + lonestar lead all parallel into one Cali 4x12 but each on their own footswitch, on and off. u can get two at once on stomp, figured u could get 4 on the big one

For the most part, the amp models are 

the biggest DSP hogs in the box... squeezing 4 into one patch won't leave  room for much else, if anything. 

12 hours ago, Jeraxle said:

Are the Jason Sadites presets in the marketplace worth the money?

Nobody's are... and yes, I've purchased a bunch (mostly out of curiosity) from various sources, including some of the more highly touted ones often mentioned around here... and I don't use a single one of them.

That being said, Jason Sadites' youtube channel has some excellent Helix tutorials for getting acquainted with the process of creating your own tones... just don't confuse process with product. Trying to reproduce tonal continuity using a carbon copy of settings that work for someone else, with their rig, guitars, listening environment, playing technique, etc etc, is mostly a pipe dream. The variables are numerous and significant... and this will be true no matter who's you purchase, or how awesome they sounded in the demo. If you're expecting to buy them and instantly have the exact same tone you've heard in videos that feature those very same patches, the odds are that you will come away confused and disappointed.

Watch some of his videos to see how and why he does certain things... but don't fixate on duplicating every last parameter, because it'll never sound exactly the same on your end... it's the methodology that matters, not individual numbers.  Once you understand what various parameters do, then finding the sound you want becomes much less daunting. But ultimately there are no shortcuts.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

15 hours ago, bypassvalve said:

i need rectifier + mark IV + lonestar clean + lonestar lead all parallel into one Cali 4x12 but each on their own footswitch, on and off. u can get two at once on stomp, figured u could get 4 on the big one

All 4 parallel... into one cabinet? 

Unless someone knows a trick I don't, this is not possible. 

It is possible to run 4 amp models (sans cabinet) into one cabinet on the Helix.... but not in the manner you are describing. 

If you only need ONE amp at a time it's easy... if you want to start blending those amps (parallel) in a variety of combinations, that is when it starts to fall apart. 

On 11/1/2020 at 9:22 PM, Jeraxle said:

Hey all,

Long time no see.  I’m an X3 Live owner from way back and have just recently upgraded to a Helix Floor.  I’m pretty excited about getting into the nuts and bolts of it when it arrives on Wednesday. 

I’m posting to ask if anyone has any tips or suggestions that they found helpful when upgrading from an X3L. 

Thanks in advance and I’m glad to be back!

Welcome back and enjoy Helix!