Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Go doesn’t like guitar’s vol knob treble bleed circuit?

boynigel

My Suhr PT Standard has a treble bleed circuit on its volume knob that allows it maintain highs as the volume gets rolled down.  This works flawlessly with all my amps and effects but for some reason, with the Go, the second I move the Suhr’s vol knob from its full-on setting at 10 down to as little as 9.5 all of my high disappears.  Not horribly so, but still very obvious.  It’s as if a switch was thrown.

As an experiment I put a Boss pedal (because it has a buffer) between the Suhr and the input of the Go.  Aside from a bit of high end loss from the Boss, the problem with the Suhr’s volume knob disappeared.  Thing is I really don’t want to use any other pedals with my Go setup.

Is there any good reason why this is happening?  I’m aware that I could always cut the capacitor off of the Suhr’s volume knob, but that would mean losing the benefit of the treble bleed when I play through different rigs.  I suppose I could get a dedicated buffer pedal…hopefully they make one that has a foot switch so I could turn it off when I use my other guitars with the go.

Still curious as to why this is happening, and more importantly if there’s anything that can be done?

That's an interesting observation & query.  I don't have an answer for you but I'd suggest you open a ticket to Line 6 support to see if they can explain this and whether there's a solution without needing an external buffer pedal. 

I quote voxman55. Hangin' on this forum there are some issues indeed for the guitar input of the pod go, like when you use out of "standard" output instruments like piezo microphones or acoustics in general. Your issue might fall into that category.

• 3 months later...

Hi,

I have the same experience as the OP... When I roll back the volume control on the guitar the treble gets lost. The Pod Go seem to behave differently than my other effects and amps in this regard. Today I tried to connect a buffered pedal (Boss CS-3) in front of the Pod Go, and even though the pedal was off the sound was quite different, a lot brighter, and the guitars volume knob behaved more like I would expect, with preserved treble.

The input impedance of the PG is supposed to be 1 MOhm, so one would not expect to need an additional buffer in front to preserve the treble.

Anyone else who have this issue?

/Mats

• 2 months later...

I, too, am having this problem on the GO with my Epi LP and my PRS SEE C24.

Since I use my guitar volume control a lot, this may be a deal breaker for me unless I can find a work around or a fix/patch for this.

OP here. The fix for me was putting a true bypass pedal between my guitar and the Go. Problem solved.  Wasn’t a deal breaker for me given that despite all the cool pedals inside the Go, I still have some pedals of my own (with buffered bypass) that I wanted to use in conjunction with the Go. 

F9F5D8AE-B40A-42CB-B399-53E3DF0EB8AD.jpeg

Interesting solution ...I have a Boss CS3 and GE-7 EQ and will give that a try. Sorry if this is a silly question, but does the pedal have to be powered to benefit from the buffer?

Hold on, just had a thought...I play wirelessly via a Line 6 G10 Relay...I think this acts like a buffer as the tone seems a little brighter than with a cable and might be why I haven't experienced the problem you've been having?

4 hours ago, voxman55 said:

Interesting solution ...I have a Boss CS3 and GE-7 EQ and will give that a try. Sorry if this is a silly question, but does the pedal have to be powered to benefit from the buffer?

Hold on, just had a thought...I play wirelessly via a Line 6 G10 Relay...I think this acts like a buffer as the tone seems a little brighter than with a cable and might be why I haven't experienced the problem you've been having?

All BOSS pedals are buffered. Buffer is just another word for preamp...active and requiring power even for bypass.

2 hours ago, spaceatl said:

All BOSS pedals are buffered. Buffer is just another word for preamp...active and requiring power even for bypass.

Thanks for the clarification - I didn't realise that buffer = preamp; interesting, so I looked it up after your post to better understand how it works and it said:

"a buffer pedal is a tiny amplifier that isolates the incoming high impedance signal sent from the guitar into a unity level. Put simply, it preserves the strength of the signal running through your setup". 

Which is simple enough even for a nonce like me to understand! smile.gif