Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix LT -> JBL LSR 305 = low end distortion

deparko

Greetings,

Currently using JBL LSR 305 as my output from my Helix LT. Love the sound but sometimes at certain levels (although not real loud) the low end breaks up and distorts. don't see the output meters on the Helix clipping..etc and don't consider it to be real loud. Can the JBL 305's handle the line levels from the Helix/Guitar? Trying to debug. Anyone come across this problem?  I

Thanks

D

My 305's handle low end just fine...

"Not real loud" is completely subjective...one man's whisper is another's deafening roar, so that may or may not be the problem. Bear in mind though, that small near-field monitors are not meant for rattling windows in the next zip code...they're just not designed to do that. Crank just about any pair of 5" monitors too much, and they're gonna fart out.

Where do you have the master volume set on the back of the 305's? Don't max them out...leave them at noon, and adjust your Helix output accordingly. Placement will also matter, as they are rear-ported speakers. If you have them right up against a wall you might get coupling issues and an overabundance of low end. Allow some space back there. There's also the low frequency trim switch you can experiment with... try -2 dB if you think things are too boomy.

• Upvote 1

Also worth looking at whether or not you have something in the room that's causing sympathetic vibrations.  I had this happen to me a while back.  I could have sworn I had a blown speaker in my Yamaha HS7.  Turned out I had something on the desk that was sympathetic to a certain frequency and sounded just like a  blown speaker.

8 hours ago, DunedinDragon said:

Also worth looking at whether or not you have something in the room that's causing sympathetic vibrations.  I had this happen to me a while back.  I could have sworn I had a blown speaker in my Yamaha HS7.  Turned out I had something on the desk that was sympathetic to a certain frequency and sounded just like a  blown speaker.

Thanks, I'll check this out because it seems somewhat variable and I'm not loud. I'm a jazz/fusion player who likes to roll off the tone and play a clean sound but sometimes the bass just breaks up. I absolutely love the setup, just need to resolve this issue.