Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hx stomp audio specs

gregorsamsa1963

1 hour ago, karlic said:

How much information is there above 10kHz in a real guitar cab?

The basic frequency range for an in-tune guitar would be between around 80Hz to 1200Hz, then there are harmonics and distortion which can push it way beyond that. It’s these higher frequencies that some Helix and other digital modelling users refer to as “fizz” and apply high cut to remove it. This fizz is really annoying, not just for guitar players, but dogs, bats and many dolphins and whales, who might happen to be nearby.

There is some insight in this short article:

http://recordingology.com/in-the-studio/guitars/

Hope this helps/makes sense.

;-)

23 hours ago, gregorsamsa1963 said:

Ear test, i have a Rme sound card and with it i can ear till 20000 hz, with the stomp i can't ear nothing above the 14000hz. Is there a kind of High cut? Or maybe i have problems with my Stomp?

I'm guessing from your user name that you're well into your 50's... my apologies if that's not the case. But If I'm correct and you can still hear 20KHz, then you sir, are Superman... because age-related high frequency loss is well documented, and hardly anyone is spared... especially musicians, even if we've been careful over the years. I'm 45 and pretty much everything past 13.5KHz is gone. 

Regardless, it's really a moot point anyway... for electric guitar, nothing anywhere near 20KHz is helping you sound good... most of us are applying high cuts well below that too get rid of the fizz. High cuts from 6-8KHz are commonplace.

https://playback.fm/hearing-test

• Upvote 1

I' m higly over 50, (you are true :-) ) and i work in recording studios , and obviously i play Guitar, so i know Electric guitars range, and yes, I do not like the fizz... but something different are the acoustic, who likes high harmonics. My question was about using the hx stomp as a sound card, and listen through It other instruments like violins, hihat Who own a lot of very High frequencies. My question was: what about the accuracy of the sound card? Is there a cut filter?

Thanks everybody

In answer to your question, I'm not aware of anything in the Helix design that would limit the frequency response range other than the sample rate as phil_m mentioned previously.  I have two Helix floor units, one of which is used daily as a sound card in my studio which replaced a fairly pricey audio interface and I can't say I've noticed any difference in performance with the Helix.  To me that doesn't mean much as that's simply a subjective ear test, but I've never heard of anyone with any objective measurements that would indicate any limitations.

Line 6 always mention 24bit 96kHz as an audio interface in their information, so it should be fine for recording. In fact many believe you gain virtually nothing from high bit & sample rates. If you have patience, this guy explains a lot: https://www.xiph.org/video/

But I have never seen what the analogue output specification is, but IRs immediately run at 16bit 48k anyway.

Does anyone know the quality of both the main outs and headphone outs?

When I activate/deactivate the global eq (high cut at 20k hz!, this gives a very tiny roll off) I can hear this very clearly on my cali rectifier rock preset. Age 44. 

You can dial in presets with all high nice sparkling shimmery frequency but without fizz. 

In a recording mix this is what makes the sound alive.

For a loud pa system one should roll off more to avoid icepicking.

This is for the "there is nothing pleasant/usefull above 10k guys".

What is usefull depends strongly on pickups/amp-cab-ir settings.

To contribute the topic: HX Stomp gives all the way up high frequencies.

3 hours ago, Elephantstomp said:

When I activate/deactivate the global eq (high cut at 20k hz!, this gives a very tiny roll off) I can hear this very clearly on my cali rectifier rock preset. Age 44. 

You can dial in presets with all high nice sparkling shimmery frequency but without fizz. 

In a recording mix this is what makes the sound alive.

For a loud pa system one should roll off more to avoid icepicking.

This is for the "there is nothing pleasant/usefull above 10k guys".

What is usefull depends strongly on pickups/amp-cab-ir settings.

To contribute the topic: HX Stomp gives all the way up high frequencies.

I noticed this with global eq. Look at the graphic and you can see a 20kHz roll off attenuates as low as 8kHz. That would explain why middle aged people can hear it.

The nothing pleasant above 10kHz is really about distorted sounds. I can understand what you mean with some clean patches.