Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Amplifi Or The Hd500x?

sonny666

Amplifi is easy to use, The 500x and other pods, not so much( I have owned most of them, other than Pros, and the new 500X). I will say I use it more as a bluetooth speaker than an amp, but I am having a blast when I do plug in the axe.

With the Amplifi, you need an iOS device to take full advantage of its features.

I do not have an AMPLIFi but I have HD500, DT-25 and JTV.  I can tell you they are amazing and the POD is an awesome tone machine despite the occasional tone snob that just wants a tube amp no matter what.  BUT - it is a lot of work sometimes.  It is not a simple plug and play, no questions asked piece of gear.  It requires time to learn and a certain amount of individual investigating to see just how everything goes together.  You will also need other gear to effectively jam at home ie. an amp, powered speakers, studio monitors, and a good set of headphones.  By the time you are done you will have dropped a bunch of cash and may still be gassing for something to add on!  For recording the POD is a musician's best friend.

If you are really just looking for something for home use, something to jam with your favorite tunes, develop your chops, go with the AMPLIFi.  If you decide to upgrade later you will still have a nice piece of gear to mess around on.   ;)

• Upvote 2

Thx Charlyg. Thx Radatats. 

I do not have an AMPLIFi but I have HD500, DT-25 and JTV.  I can tell you they are amazing and the POD is an awesome tone machine despite the occasional tone snob that just wants a tube amp no matter what.  BUT - it is a lot of work sometimes.  It is not a simple plug and play, no questions asked piece of gear.  It requires time to learn and a certain amount of individual investigating to see just how everything goes together.  You will also need other gear to effectively jam at home ie. an amp, powered speakers, studio monitors, and a good set of headphones.  By the time you are done you will have dropped a bunch of cash and may still be gassing for something to add on!  For recording the POD is a musician's best friend.

If you are really just looking for something for home use, something to jam with your favorite tunes, develop your chops, go with the AMPLIFi.  If you decide to upgrade later you will still have a nice piece of gear to mess around on.   ;)

Thanks. I currently own a Marshall AVT50 which I suppose would be perfect for running the HD500X through. I also have a set of DT100 studio headphones, so I wouldn't need to spend extra cash if I decided on the HD500X. I must admit the ease of use of the Amplifi sounds really tempting because of the tone match. I used to have a Boss GT3 and that was quite a pain to get any nice tones out of it, which I am a little worried about the HD500X facing the same problem. The tones in the reviews sound fantastic on you tube and I know once you get the thing home the sound will be even better. The problem is there are so little reviews on the Amplifi at the moment. I like the look of the 150 because it has the Celestion speaker ( don't think the 75 has a Celestion in it )  and it will be a very good music system. I suppose it's down to if I want a quick tone fix or not.

Silly question to ask because it should be obvious but does the FBV Express MKII expression pedal work the effects on the Amplifi. eg can you control your wah effects with it or is it purely just to switch between the four presets on the amp. If I was to get the Amplifi I would feel a bit annoyed to pay around an extra £85 for a foot switch which just selected one of the amps channels.

ATM it only changes presets. There are hints that more will come. I believe the pedal works for the wah, but I am not sure how much "control" you have.

I would like to see the FBV just be a midi jack, but I may be in the minority.

I currently own a Marshall AVT50 which I suppose would be perfect for running the HD500X through.

That Marshall should work well for use with an HD500; do you know if it has an FX loop / FX return on the back?

I have a similar Marshall valvestate, and I used it for a long time with the X3L and then the HD500, always plugging the POD out into the Marshall FX return. By using the FX return, you bypass the tone stacks, and give yourself a clean feed to the power amp, thereby allowing the HD to do what it does.

Now, if you don't want to spend a minimum of $1,500, and possibly $2,500 - stop reading RIGHT NOW....

You are still reading.. Last chance!

Ok. So, I bought an HD500 to replace my X3Live back around 2010. The tonal quality of the HD500 is so far beyond the X3 amp models and FX that it's difficult to compare them. For reference, the amp models and FX used in the Amplifi are the X3/XT era models, all the pre-HD stuff.

Very, very recently (couple months ago) I decided I needed to upgrade my amp, and picked up a Bogner/Line6 DT25.

"Wow" is what happened, it's a friggin amazing sounding rig. Then, I got G.A.S. even worse, and snagged a JTV59.

Why you ask should that inspire you to go out and spend $2,500 on gear? Take a little time to read up on what the HD500 + DT25/50 + JTV can do. If any of that seems exciting to you, your budget is DOOMED! In a good way! :)

For me, the HD does a great job of modelling ,and I loved using it in studio/direct mode, sometimes using the Marshall (fx loop return) with another 1x12 Fender combo (also using FX return) to run a stereo rig, and keep the XLR out from the HD as a PA / Mixer / Recording friendly signal (Studio/Direct).

Sometimes I would even use the same connections, and set the HD to "combo/poweramp". This makes the amps sound like the models they are emulating, just omitting the microphone / room modelling.

And while all of that HD goodness sounded worlds better than the X3; that rig option paled in equal quality to the HD connected to a DT using the L6 link. At some point, I am 100% going to get another DT, to be able to run them in stereo - or in dual amp mode. What the DT and HD do together departs the realm of modelling ,and enters the world of Dr Frankenstein. "IT's Alive".Overall, I have been impressed by the XLR out from the DT. If I get a second DT, I would run them in stereo, and take XLR out from both, and mic both. Just 'cause!

So, that's where you have to decide: do you spend $400-$500 on an Amplifi, or do you go bat-doo-doo crazy and spend two months equivalent of rent on a bunch of high tech gear that will most certainly make you go insane with the too-many options..?

I plugged it all in in living room last night, and using the low power mode, had a good time just jamming to loops and watching TV.

Because once you have the HD500x, you will be looking at the empty L6Link socket, and the empty Variax socket, and start wondering what happens when you connect all three.

For me, the Amplifi was never a contender since I had already gone down the HD road 4 years prior. Why they chose to exclude the HD models, I am not sure - I suppose so as to not compete with their Bogner gear. Because that is the key distinction:

The Amplifi is an X3 /XT inside of a Bluetooth speaker system. Except that the X3 offered an XLR out, XLR in, and a Variax port. So, not only is it outdated amp and fx modelling, it is also severely lacking in the basics of Input and Output.

I was not surprised to read that the Amplifi does not support the older IOS devices, such as iPad 1: it requires IOS7. So, if you already have a newer IPhone or iPad, then you could utiilize all that the Amplifi has to offer without needing to spend a chunk of change on the IOS gear to make it work. If you don't already have the appropriate Apple device (or in the future, at some undisclosed time, a supported Android device...) then you will need to factor that cost in as well.

Does it compare to the Bogner-L6 tube amp, and the latest and greatest HD amp and M-class FX? No, not even close.

But - I would imagine, it's not supposed to..

Lots of pros and cons for both - going down the HD road will likely make you want to  open Pandora's box, and then there's no going back! The lightest of the DT amps, the DT25 is still ALOT heavier than the 150watt Amplifi. Solid state vs Tube. The JTV is an amazing guitar, but programming it is a bit over my head, I am still just flabbergasted at what it can do, and how much tonal range you can get with it.

So, there ya go. I think you get what you pay for. If I could have afforded it, would have bought a USA JTV. But, at +$4,000, really, really not in my budget! Not yet..... ;)

• Upvote 1

I personally own an HD500x and found it very easy to use and set up. If you use the edit software, setting up your own sounds is a breeze. The amplifi for me would be too limited.. Especially since I own a bunch of amps already.. Have a PA set up in my studio.. And have studio monitors or some sort of substantial playback set up more or less everywhere where I would want to plug my guitar in. On the fly (on my RV or other various places) I just bring my iPad and sonic port. Pair it with headphones or studio monitors and I'm good to go.

Fwiw, I have one of the newer Marshall MG series heads.. The one with the silver bezel on it.. It works great as a cheap amp to power my DX500x. I plug the output of the POD into the FX Return on the Marshall and I'm good to go!

Sent from my iPad.

• Upvote 1

I quote: "the tonal quality of the HD500 is so far beyond the X3 amp models and FX that it's difficult to compare them. For reference, the amp models and FX used in the Amplifi are the X3/XT era models, all the pre-HD stuff."

This is not borne out by experience. There are multiple instances of guys going back to the X3 after trying the HD models. Frankly, at volume, it gets pretty nuanced. IMHO of course.

I would say they are equal to/from the Pod Farm. That is also what the line 6 guys say. Now whether or not that is equivalent to X3 or XT is another discussion.

The idea was to choose the largest library for the metadata so as to at least kick start the process.

• Upvote 1

This is not borne out by experience.

Well, actually it was directly from my personal experience!

I had the X3L for a long time. Then I bought an HD500. I owned both, and compared them side by side for quite a while. Then I sold the X3L to a bass player.

To each his own, of course! That I will never argue with. The entire crux of the point, is that while the Amplifi is a next-gen idea, the actual product and end result is not. I am not trying to bash or support - the comparison essentially, is like apples and potatoes. Comparing the Amplifi to anything, is difficult - they never really offered an X3/XT era option of the FX+Amp Models inside an actual amplifier.

So, in that regard, there really is nothing out there quite like the Amplifi! IOS or Android apps aside, the price point is stellar on the Amplifi, and as far as original poster is concerned, most likely their best choice.

The "HD" gear is 24bit. The Amplifi gear is not. The HD is a built in floorboard, the Amplifi needs an external controller.

But, I mean - the HD rig, if one were to only get the HD500x + DT25, would still cost (new) around $1,500. Is it $1,000 more rig than the Amplifi? Maybe, but for most, that is a huge dent in the budget!

Again, original poster says "not gigging". Maybe they want to use it for home recording. In that case, the HD by itself would be more than enough, and will likely sound amazing through the fx return of their Marshall amp. Again, also personal experience - that was almost identical to the rig I used when I had an X3L, and for about 4 years, the same as what I ran my HD through.

Having done ALOT of recording, everything from MiniDisc back in the day, to DAT, to the Nomad JB3, to computer multi-track, to a newer, standalone, battery powered Tascam that can do 24bit/96k, for me, I recognise without need for listening or debate, that 24bit is better than 16 bit. By a whole lot. We don't need ears to know that, basic math makes that decision.

So, the future of Amplifi is BRIGHT! Just, for some, not yet. For this original poster? Maybe! Sure, even for those who already have a 24 bit Eleven Rack processor, or a 24bit HD500. But, to compare like with like, that was my original point - the HD500 is leaps and bounds ahead of the Amplifi, and no amount of 5 speaker Bluetooth iTunes interface is going to change that.

For reference, there are lots and lots and lots of articles on the internets explaining the mathmatic distinction between "bit depth" and "sample rate". For example:

"The easiest way to envision this is as a series of levels, that audio energy can be sliced at any given moment in time.  With 16 bit audio, there are 65,536 possible levels.  With every bit of greater resolution, the number of levels double.  By the time we get to 24 bit, we actually have 16,777,216 levels.  Remember we are talking about a slice of audio frozen in a single moment of time."

http://tweakheadz.com/16-bit-vs-24-bit-audio/

EDIT! : Looks like I was totally wrong on the 16 bit vs 24 bit, my BAD!!

From the XT release note:

""Another significant difference is that our processing is now 32-bit floating point (as opposed to 24-bit fixed point, as found in Pod v2.0 and lots of other places). This extended dynamic range is quite valuable, since there is so much potential gain within an amp model circuit.""

• Upvote 1

This is a hard one to answer and will boil down to what your needs are... Comparing the AMPLIFI to HD500 and which one to buy is like comparing apples to oranges, they are two distinctly different things with some over-lapping features/functions: on one hand, the HD500 is strictly a tone generator (without any amplifier or speakers) and on the other is an amplifier (with some built-in amp sims and multi effects). It depends on what you need more and how you plan to use it e.g. gigging, home practice amp, studio, all of the above?

My dream setup would be an AMPLIFI (with it's wireless bluetooth functionality) and a built-in HD-500 (with all its output connection options) ... I have to think they're working on it. In the meantime, I bought the AMPLIFI and like it simplicity and convenience as a practice amp a lot.

I wonder if anyone on the forum has tried running an HD500 through an AMPLIFI? If so, I'd be interested in hearing about it.

• Upvote 2

I did it with the HD bean into the aux in, it was fine. But I went with the 11R for the flexibility. I may have stayed with the bean if not for midi.

Did it sound as good as running it with a regular amp through the FX Return? I understand that this is more full range oriented.. But just as far as quality of what you are hearing. I'm still pondering over the Amplifi. Picked up my nephews Spider IV 75 today and really like it. Like the 500x through the MP3 input.. But I'll have another iOS goodie to mess around with if I get an Amplifi instead.

Here's a concept:

The HD500 series acts as a soundcard as is now, so can be used for direct to computer recording. I actually plugged in the JTV on my recent free time, and went direct to recording software.

The future of Amplifi needs to be recording oriented, and with the advent of the Bluetooth tech, makes me wonder what kinds of recording options would/could be included in future releases.

Perhaps onboard SD cards? Similar to the Stagescape mixer system, which records multi-track to an SD card. The current iteration of Amplifi has a USB port - will recording be a function that gets added on in future firmware updates? How about wireless / bluetooth recording? THAT would be sweet. Arm a track in your Garage Band software, and transmit the dry and FX version of the signal wirelessly to the recording unit.

As it is now, I don't know about any recording functionality. With regard to the original posters question, I personally would choose the HD series - in order to minimize cost, the 500x. That would allow them to record direct, as well as output to the FX return of their Marshall amp to hear both "while playing" and also playback from their recording unit. When the HD500 is set as the soundcard, it also runs playback, and the master volume attenuates output level to the amp / speakers, while not impacting the recording signal. To boost recording levels, you turn up the level (up to +12db) in the mixer portion of the signal..

I was actually quite pleased with the JTV acoustic tones, firmware 2.0, going through no amp, with minimal FX. Sounds stellar in headphone and through desktop speakers.

For me, the Amplifi could have been an awesome, unreal, amazing device. I can say, firmware updates may come down the line in the future which expand offerings. For instance, whats preventing them from offering a free or pay-to-upgrade firmware update that would offer the HD amps in the current Amplifi offering? It's feasible. Not likely, but not impossible.

That being said, the same could go for adding USB soundcard / recording options. I think alot of folks would be taking a much closer look at this Amplifi with just those two items alone - which could potentially come as firmware upgrades.

Something tells me, no, not likely - it's far more realistic to hope for an upgraded Amplifi in the future with the HD amp models, the M-class FX, recording to DAW via the onboard USB, XLR in and XLR out, S/PDIF in/out, etc. Wireless / wiFi would also be an interesting concept too!

Anyhow, after revisiting my HD500 going studio/direct to recording, I can say that would be the best choice, both in terms of quality of models (HD / M-class), floorboard footswithches, recording, Variax input, and DT Line6 Link capability.

Please excuse my verbose, rambling posts. Being succinct is not my strong point! ;)

Well, the edit kinda ends your argument, no?

And it wasn't released to compete with the HD500x. It was to START a competition.

No. Not really. The same argument remains, there just isn't specific data from Line6 explaining why the HD amp models are better / higher res / or in what way they are "HD". The presumption, is they came up with a new way to model the amp characteristics, which would imply in some way, that the HD amp models are higher quality than the X3 / XT. For instance, the dreaded 'DSP max' issue on the HD500 series. The X3 offers way, way more amp models, and uses a DSP prior to the HD release. Hence, the less amps, and the issues with stacking two full amp models with dual pitch shifters.

One thing, that has never been addressed with the Amplifi - and perhaps L6 will clear this up with some more specific info, but nowehere - not anywhere - does it state that the Amplifi is using the X3 / Xt technology. For all I know, all that is totally not relevant. In which case, it really just comes down to what inspires your ears! Don't mistake my picky ness for negativity, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't curious about plugging into an Amplifi, and giving it a spin. It looks like it's loads of FUN!

As far as future expansion, who knows! For all we know, firmware updates may arrive for the Amplifi offering the HD amp models, including some or all of the M-class FX. I suppose that type of A/B comparison is valid. The M-class pitch shifting FX are so much better than what the X3 offered. Not sure if Amplifi has any octave up / down, or anything like that? If it does, you can probably figure out relatively quickly what you have on board.

Though, again to play Devils Advocate against my own assumptions - perhaps the expanded DSP power of the Amplifi rivals, or eclipses that of the HD. Do we know? No.. It just might! In which case, the era of the FX will matter less, than the processor power rendering them.

I remember the X3 always struggled with tracking when doing pitch shifting. While the HD isn't perfect, it does track way better, and the overall sound quality ofthe pitch shifted (up and down) seemed better. That could be a DSP factor - that effect will max out the DSP on the HD500 faster than most any other effect, for sure.

I would suggest original poster get their hands on both, and try them side by side.

For me, I owe way too much $$ on my JTV and DT25 to even *think* about the Amplifi. I was getting myself fired up to grab the Pro Tools 11 + Eleven Rack bundle that's on sale right now, but have thus far resisted the G.A.S... Three way shoot out!

HD500x vs ElevenRack vs Amplifi!! :)

I read somewhere that some kid (it was his father who wrote the comment) was able to record AMPLIFI's output into a computer via its USB port ... I'm wondering if anyone here on the forum has actually tried connecting AMPLIFI's USB jack to a computer in an effort to record the amp's audio?

I'll go bring the amp out in a bit and see but I very much doubt it. I did hook an Eleven Rack up today thru the aux in. It works and sounds great, but a little limited on volume. I did use the output to amp vs the main output. I don't  know if that will make a difference. I don;t recall the vol being limited whenI hooked the HD bean to it. But alas, I no longer have the bean.

I read somewhere that some kid (it was his father who wrote the comment) was able to record AMPLIFI's output into a computer via its USB port ... I'm wondering if anyone here on the forum has actually tried connecting AMPLIFI's USB jack to a computer in an effort to record the amp's audio?

Here's what I think you were thinking about.  This quote is from a posting on this forum by a father about the amp and his son. It's under the topic/thread Good Review: 

"...agree with the idea of having a dedicated output port as my son has already figured out how to route the output to his input device to the DAW."   AE

Ok, the Win 8 laptop sees the USB, it does the little ding thingy.... However, when you go into control panel, you see an orange triangle. Basically, it must have power but no "connection"  programmed.

It means the device was found but Windows does not know what to do with it, it does not recognize it as anything it knows about. This means either we are missing a driver or a firmware update to the Amplifi will make the USB port appear to windows as a input device (mic that sends sounds).

Ok.....thank you for all the great advice people. I finally took the plunge and went for the Amplifi 150. I must admit I thought long and hard and took everyone's advice into consideration. 

I just play now and again when I get the chance and thought the 150 would fit my needs perfectly. Like I have already mentioned I don't gig or have much time to home record anymore ( still have my Yamaha AW16G from a few years back gathering dust ) so just wanted it really to get back into the guitar and have some fun. The reason I was looking at the Hd500x in the first instance was to get the best quality for my money which I think I would of gone with if I was going to spend more time and effort with the guitar and the Hd500x.

So therefore with that in mind I purchased the 150 for ease of use and the tone match capabilities to jam along with.

Ok first impressions...........I tried the amp as a music speaker.......WOW....bloomin fantastic. I can honestly say it really does sound impressive and it's very loud.

I know......I know  it's a guitar amp and I should be really testing that feature first but I could not resist the temptation of seeing what it could do with the neighbors out and family out shopping!!!

Right down to the amp, like I say it is loud and yes loud enough to gig with. Now its no Marshall TSL 2000 with a1960A 4x12 cab but still its going to get a job done.

The app works fine and is so easy to use, very good on the phone but is alot more fun to use on ipad, purely down to the screen size and layout.

The amp itself is quite small, well smaller than I expected and if im honest looks a little plasticity, but it is actually very solid and could take a knock or two. Ok now for the tones...................

The tone match part will obviously get better over time as more people publish tones but at the moment you can get lucky and your chosen song might have alot of published tones to choose from. On the other hand it may not and you will end up with a few tones that hang around on every street corner!

The only issue Im finding at moment is getting a tone to sound.......well........not muffled. What  I mean by this is well no matter what I try the tone still sounds as if its been played in the next room (slight exaggeration) or with a blanket over the amp. 

It just does not have that sparkle to cleans or that bite to distortions. I have messed around with eq's, presets,parameters the lot but still I cannot get that dirty, gritty sound I would expect from say a marshall. It just don't seems to, how should I put this, feel alive.....maybe it's just me and im expecting too much.

I know these are not the real deal amps and just digital copies but there just is something missing.........HD perhaps ..lol.

There is no denying the amount thats on offer for the price is fantastic and im sure I will end up loving this amp,  just hope I can get the tones to feel more alive (well to my ears ) in the future.                                                           

• Upvote 2

Here's what the statement from the earlier post said.

(This quote is from a posting on this forum by a father about the amp and his son. It's under the topic/thread Good Review)

"...agree with the idea of having a dedicated output port as my son has already figured out how to route the output to his input device to the DAW."

I think it sounds like he might have used the headphone jack.   AE

The only issue Im finding at moment is getting a tone to sound.......well........not muffled. What  I mean by this is well no matter what I try the tone still sounds as if its been played in the next room (slight exaggeration) or with a blanket over the amp.

I would expect this nuance is likely because the AMPLIFi does not have 'output' modes; not at least that I know of. I know it has that 'blend' knob, to dial between clean vs processed tone.

The 'other room' sound is actually exactly how I think about using the HD500 in 'studio/direct' mode. I think of it as my amp is in an isolation room, and I am in the control room. I am thinking about it as hearing the amp+microphone+room > into a mixer, through full range / flat response speakers.

I would imagine as L6 has more time to tweak the control function of the iOS and Android app interface, we will likely see an improved response to adjusting tone. As it is now, it seems like they intentionally left off the majority of standard tone controls, so as to not need a two way link between amp and app.

For example, when using L6link between a DT and an HD500, the tone controls on either device adjust settings on the other device. Turn a knob on the DT and you see it turn on screen on the HD500.

For the ease and quality of function, I'd imagine that type of back and forth isn't pratical / possible with Bluetooth and an app. I guess if it was, we'd already have wireless VDI and wireless L6Link!

I'd know what to say to help you get proper tone from the gear I am familiar with, but with this gear, it's all a new frontier.

Dang, though now you made me want to try one out at Guitar Center!!! :)