Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Ideascale - Worth The Time?

tim1953

Just wondering has any of the requests/suggestions made up on Ideascale ever been added to any Line 6 product?

As far as the HD 500 or Variax goes I haven't seen any so it leads me to wonder if it's worth the trouble posting there or is it just a waste of time.

This post isn't to bash Line 6 - I'm just a curious customer.

Not a waste of time but a free resource for any company wanting an idea for new products could use it if Line 6 didn't.

It is a clever way to get and gauge an idea and saves enormous amounts of Market Research.

If they were smart they'd pick a couple of ideas they might be interested in and refine a few questions to get more of what is needed for a new product.

My guess is the existing staff are coping the best they can and the situation probably is a under manned under trained continual emergency rather then a functioning organization that has a future.

Or it could be a mis manned mess with too many guitarists and not enough ground level managers.

My Organizational Promotional Training OPTimum Services are available!

• Upvote 1

Think of it like writing your Congressman...you might feel better, being "part of the process", as it were. But your letter will only be read by a staffer who will send a form letter response, whilst your elected representative is off playing golf, diddling interns, and pretending to give a damn about the economy. ;)

• Upvote 1

To be fair many a politician goes into politics to help.

The honest ones don't get very far except if you are Ron Paul.

Those willing to take "incentives" from Lobbyists  get ahead fast.

USA inc

Earth Inc 

You gotta laugh LOLOL

Wish I could agree with you. Honesty has little to do with it. Its all about the love of power. Truth is...and i'm paraphrasing someone here, just can't remember whom... is one of few endeavors in which it is possible to achieve wealth and power with absolutely no merit whatsoever. If they wanted to help, they'd join the peace corps, or the fire department, or they'd go be a physician in some third world cesspool. They want money and dominion over the lives of others, while producing nothing tangible...other than bills for room service and helicopter fuel (that I pay for).

I work at a company that develops its own software and we use this kind of tool It helps us immensely.  Not every suggestion turns into a project, but I'm certain they take things into consideration after review those ideas with lots of votes.

• Upvote 1

It may not have paid off yet - but it is currently the only method we have of expressing our views on the product direction and sharing our ideas and voting on what we would like to see.  If we don't make use of it then it will definitely be a waste of time, however, if we do go over there and raise ideas and vote then it may well pay off.   I am sure the Yamaha take over has also shaken things up a bit and things have to settle down before we start seeing any progress.   I think we need to give it a little more time before we reach a conclusion one way or the other on whether it is worth while.   Just my 2 cents.

• Upvote 3

If they were actually listening to thier user base, they would just have someone combing the forums occasionally, or following trending topics and go from there, because its the exact same stuff people are trying to vote up and down over there. It looked like to me that Line 6 didn't want the user forums chalk full of threads regarding the shortcomings of various products that are on display to show just how little they actually "support" the products after release (I don't just mean FW updates and new stuff, but responses to technical questions, usability issues, etc) so they off-loaded a lot of that traffic to IdeaScale in the hopes that people looking for info on X product wouldn't get immediately whisked to a forum full of complaining users. But, as mentioned all over the place here, if L6 would show up once and a while over here with some useful info, there wouldn't be nearly as much complaining.

• Upvote 1

I work at a company that develops its own software and we use this kind of tool It helps us immensely.  Not every suggestion turns into a project, but I'm certain they take things into consideration after review those ideas with lots of votes.

The previous feedback mechanism was an unwieldy black hole, with no easy way to understand what people wanted, so this is definitely a major improvement. Product Management (PM) looks at IdeaScale frequently. However, it is not the end-all, be-all for data from customers. PM gets info from other sources. Therefore, IdeaScale can help support or refute data from those sources when the number of votes on a given idea are significant. Also, regardless of the feedback sources, the ideas must fit into the constraints of time, resources, future products, demand, competition, technology shifts, etc.

I'm sorry that the level of updating the status if ideas could be better. I know it lets you know we're not only listening, but moving forward with ideas. That type of two-way communication with the public is something I'm suggesting to PM to do more of, all while not "tipping our hand" as to our plans for future products. For a view of what has been marked with a status, see http://line6.ideascale.com/a/ideafactory.do?id=23508&mode=review&discussionFilter=active.ideation

arislaf, you're in second place for number of ideas. Thanks for contributing. I hope you continue to do so. The leaderboard is at http://line6.ideascale.com/a/leaderboard

I encourage you all to keep the ideas coming.

ok so I just posted some ideas there... lets see what happens...

- ability to create custom pickups in WBHD

- block diagrams to show true signal flow

- topology switch in HD Edit to work with full amp models

- display more than 10 tones per page in Customtone

- add clipping indicator to POD HD

• Upvote 1

Haven't checked this yet, but one thing bothers me.

Since i dont have to dig myself thru 5 feet deep sea of loose money every time i move in my house, id like to make sure i always get my share. If (ideas cooking in my poor excuse of a head) i come up with new idea, which makes millions to Line6, is my cut just promission to tell the idea in forums without being charged of using internet-services?

Shorlty: What do i get, if my idea makes it?

If you're really worried about someone using your idea and you not making any money on it then your options are:

1. Keep the idea to yourself, create a company, build said product and there you have what you want or

2. Keep the idea to yourself and do nothing with it and it vanishes forever, but at least you can go to your grave knowing that Line 6 didn't make any money of you amazing idea.

P.S. If that Limp Bizkit thing is true that is pretty lame.

ok so I just posted some ideas there... lets see what happens...

- ability to create custom pickups in WBHD

- block diagrams to show true signal flow

- topology switch in HD Edit to work with full amp models

- display more than 10 tones per page in Customtone

- add clipping indicator to POD HD

Thanks. Hopefully, there was a separate submission for each idea. That is key to getting an accurate read on what people want. Otherwise, for example, a guy may like points 2 and 3, but not care for the rest and not vote on your idea at all, or worse, vote it down.

Thanks. Hopefully, there was a separate submission for each idea. That is key to getting an accurate read on what people want. Otherwise, for example, a guy may like points 2 and 3, but not care for the rest and not vote on your idea at all, or worse, vote it down.

yep, 5 separate ideas...   :)

If you're really worried about someone using your idea and you not making any money on it then your options are:

1. Keep the idea to yourself, create a company, build said product and there you have what you want or

2. Keep the idea to yourself and do nothing with it and it vanishes forever, but at least you can go to your grave knowing that Line 6 didn't make any money of you amazing idea.

P.S. If that Limp Bizkit thing is true that is pretty lame.

3. Post the idea and nothing will happen.

3. Post the idea and nothing will happen.

This is on the front page of our IdeaScale site, but it seems like everyone misses it, or disregards it:

Please realize that product development is ongoing and that many of your ideas will help inform and guide the active project list even if you do not see the status change. It is also good to keep in mind that new products can take many months or even years depending on their complexity, so please keep comments and ideas coming and don't be discouraged if you do not see immediate progress.

That's totally sensible.... unless we're talking FW stuff for existing products. If there are ideas for completely new products, then of course it takes a long time..... making EQ readouts that are functional, or introducing a tool inside the FW to make a product much easier to use (clipping indicator) shouldn't have to take that long.... you shouldn't even need a huge outcrying of necessity. If its doable, do it. If it's not, post that on IdeaScale by saying "Current software or hardware would not support this feature, but it is an idea for future products!".

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Tony's right—many of us read IdeaScale (and the Line 6 Community forums) every day.

It's important to understand that new products or feature updates to existing products don't appear overnight. I can guarantee, however, that quite a few IdeaScale submissions have made their way into the development pipeline. We are definitely listening.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Hey, they DID put a power button on the new amplifi fx100 floorboard. Ideascale is a success!

Not only have zero amount of the ideas posted on Ideascale been used, many of the long reported bugs have not been fixed.

So I guess I have answered my own question...waste of time.

• Upvote 2