Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Recording Pod Go: Digital or Analog?

Guitar55

When recording your Pod Go do you use it as an interface and record digitally or do you send the analog outputs into another interface?  I like the idea of going digital, but I don't like switching interfaces all the time. Is there a real difference in quality?

I use the POD Go or my Helix Rack interchangeably as the interface; my older non-Line 6 interface device is collecting dust. I find I don’t need to switch interfaces in my Windows 10 system. When the POD Go or Helix is powered on it automatically becomes the computer’s input and output device as well as being recognized as the audio interface by any recording program. When neither is powered on the computer’s internal audio system is used. I leave both devices connected via USB to my computer and also to my studio speakers (using different speaker inputs). I power on the one I want to use for any session; no switching or setup of cables.

There is a small and generally unnoticeable improvement in quality using the POD Go or Helix via USB because the signal remains digital throughout, avoiding a D/A and subsequent A/D conversion required to pass through a separate interface.