Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Rack and Variax Guitar

MarkSalore

Any Helix Rack and Variax users out there?
I tried hooking up my Variax standard today for the first time, and I plugged it into the wrong jack on the back of the helix rack.
On the back of the helix rack there are two CAT5 type jacks as seen in the picture.
One for the helix control floor board pedal, and the other is for the Variax Guitar.
I noticed that the knobs did light up on the guitar, but I didn’t get any sound. When I realized what I did, I put it into the right jack and it seems to be working.
My question is, do you think I did any possible damage to the helix rack or the Variax guitar by plugging it into the wrong input?
It was obviously sending power to the guitar because the controls were lighting up but I wasn’t getting any sound.
Like I said, It’s my first time using the Variax, so I don’t know what it’s supposed to sound like and if anything was compromised due to the fact I plugged it into the wrong port on the back of the helix rack.
Any help would be appreciated
Thank you

LHELIXRAC-P_2-1.fpx.jpeg

I would suggest that you post this question in the James Tyler Variax Guitars / Workbench HD forum here.

Try to get psarkissian (the Line 6 head Variax Tech) who is always fielding questions from his work bench to answer your question. Probably many forum members here that can answer your question but this cat knows Variax inside out.

Should be okay, the power and ground pins are the same for both. 

Make certain you use a VDI cable with the Canon/Neutrik shells on both ends,

and not a generic CAT5 network cable. VDI fits better. 

And don't forget which connector is which on the back panel. Rock-n-Roll!!!   ;)

1 hour ago, psarkissian said:

Should be okay, the power and ground pins are the same for both. 

Make certain you use a VDI cable with the Canon/Neutrik shells on both ends,

and not a generic CAT5 network cable. VDI fits better. 

And don't forget which connector is which on the back panel. Rock-n-Roll!!!   ;)

Thank you for the reply

yes, that’s the one I’m using

it’s the $40 line six cable with the XLR shells and the CAT5 inside. 

Is there anything I could look for, or test to see if I did any damage?

is there any possibility that some internal damage could’ve happened to the helix or the variax That would affect the functionality or the sound of either one?

5 minutes ago, MarkSalore said:

Thank you for the reply

yes, that’s the one I’m using

it’s the $40 line six cable with the XLR shells and the CAT5 inside. 

Is there anything I could look for, or test to see if I did any damage?

is there any possibility that some internal damage could’ve happened to the helix or the variax That would affect the functionality or the sound of either one?

I think the Variax and the Helix Control both operate at the same voltage, which is probably why the Variax lit up. You should be fine. It sounds like that both jacks send power out over the same pins, probably for this very reason. You won’t damage either piece of hardware if you accidentally plug it into the wrong jack. The other pins are just data, so no harm, no foul.