Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pod Go & HX FX together?

mlserafin

Anyone using Pod Go together with HX FX? I'm an HX FX owner/user, & I just now somewhat impulsively ordered a blemished Pod Go from GC - I recently discovered the joys of playing direct to the PA, thanks to a couple of Joyo amp sim pedals. I'm picturing putting the HX FX in the Pod Go FX loop, so the signal flow will look something like: (Pod Go): noise gate>EQ>compressor>overdrive/distortion>wah>amp sim>ir>FX loop>(HX FX) modulation>delay>reverb. Anyone doing anything like this? Yeah, it's a bit of overkill, maybe, but also will give me an enormous amount of flexibility, I think. Please don't tell me I should sell the HX FX & buy a Helix or Helix LT. Looking for feedback from those who are doing something similar, & what their experience has been. Thanks!

Or just go Guitar -> PGO -> HX FX -> amp/console/PA instead of using the PGO FX Loop, you're saving a cable and there's not really any point in using the FX Loop, I think...   Yeah especially at the end in the chain like you mentioned, you'd save a useless cable plus a analog/digital conversion.  You can then use the HX FX for post amp/cab effects, and the PGO for pre amp/cab effects.  Pretty cool :)

That's an interesting idea to use HxFx with Pod Go to give greater FX flexibility.  Both in and out the FX loop are viable options with each having pros and cons so I think it's just a case of experimenting to see which you prefer both audibly and from a user perspective. 

I wonder if there is anyway the Pod Go expression pedal could control fx in HxFx?  If it is possible I suspect HxFx would have to be in the fx loop. It probably can't though because the interfaces are different, but just a thought.

Keep us posted 're how you get on. 

I like the idea of putting it in the loop - you can set up a quite complex mix of fx, then drop it in and out with a single press on the Pod Go. I'm planning on doing this with a bunch of old pedals I'm attached too (small clone and a no name nano overdrive that's just got a great sound) although at present the Pod Go options are either good enough or great anyway.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been messing around with this setup for about 2 weeks now - not using any fx loops. I'm plugging guitar into Pod Go, & patching Pod Go L & R outs into HR FX L & R ins, & taking HR FX L & R out directly to pa.

I'm using the Pod Go for amp sims/cabs/EQ/noise gate/overdrives/wah & volume pedal, & using the HX FX for post amp modulation/delay/reverb. I also have an expression pedal plugged in to the HX FX for pitch shift.

I've created a few patches for each - eg: on the PG i have a Trainwreck patch, which consists of the Trainwreck amp, cab, eq, noise gate, 3 diff flavors of od/dist, & vol/wah. I've created other patches similar using diff amps, eg Matchless, Dr Z, Fender Twin, etc... On HX FX, I've created a few patches with various combinations of 1 modulation, 2 reverbs & 3 delays, mapped to switches, as well as always on reverb & pitch shift, controlled by expression pedal.

I've got to say, I'm getting some awesome sounds, & through my pa it sounds pretty spectacular, especially the stereo delays. I still have both units' fx loops available, I plan on putting my EHX B9 pedal in the Pod Go FX loop. When both units are in stomp mode, I have the equivalence of a pretty giant pedal board, with the ability to turn 10+ fx on/off, as well as wah, pitch & volume pedals. That's how I would use it, in stomp mode, as opposed to preset/snapshot mode.

Having said all that, I'm not sure I need all this for my gigs, which are split between Grateful Dead cover band and Praise & Worship gigs. I think the Pod Go by itself is probably all I need for either, if going direct to pa. If I want to lug my amp, a Blackstar Club 40, I can use my HX FX in 4CM.

So in conclusion, for my gigging needs it's probably overkill, but for plugging in to my pa in my basement, kicking back with an adult beverage & turning it UP, either solo or jamming with friends, it has been a LOT of funimage.gif.5435ff9441e3489e6fc1d5cc119c053c.gif :)