Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Magnetic and Modeling in same preset with Snaps

firehawkkwah

What's the best way to have a preset with one snapshot using Variax model and another snap with the Variax magnetic?

Like, Snap1 is modeled Acoustic, Snap 2 is Spank, Snap 3 is variax magnetic, Snap 4 is modeled Lester. 

Right now I have to use two input chains with separate volume controls so I can zero out the magnetic on one snap, then zero out the Variax modeling on the other snap.
Or is there some more elegant way?

It sounds like you are using two different physical pedals to control the two VOL blocks. You could optimize your current setup by assigning both VOL blocks to the same physical pedal and configuring their Min/Max values oppositely. When one is at 100% the other is at 0%. That way you achieve a blend of the two inputs, with the pedal at heel position being 100% one input and at toe position being 100% the other. The blend can provide an interesting option that you might want to explore.

Or, you could try assigning the Variax Vol knob in the Input block of each path to the Snapshot controller and set it at 10 or 0 as the snapshot requires.

Another method might be to assign the Output block (or use Gain blocks?) Level parameter in each path to the snapshot controller. Assign the Level to minus or plus whatever dB as required in each snapshot to suppress the desired path outputs.

There may be other methods too. These are just the ones that come immediately to mind.

• Upvote 1

I'm not at my Helix so I may not get this totally right but you can create another input on path one or two, giving you four total inputs. Take a vol pedal (or whatever), put it in the very first block. Now, click an hold it and move it down from the path. Another input should be created. This is the same method you use to put effects on a parallel path. You can then assign the new input to the mags and be on the same path. Hope this makes sense.

HelixPic.thumb.jpg.829b4bb20e0722652a6a0b36b577b548.jpg

This is a possible example of how you could do it.  The top line has two input blocks, one for Variax (acoustic tone), and another for Variax Magnetics (amp tone).  I have a modulation effect on the accoustic, and a wah pedal and a distortion block before the amp and cab.   After mixing, they both go through a compressor, delay, then reverb, then out the XLR jacks.  Notice I have highlighted the Merge Mixer, you can set your snapshots to set the A Level and B Level to pick your instrument, and therefor you won't need the volume blocks to do this.  You can even use the Merge Mixer controls to setup a stereo mix of the two.  Hope this helps!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Nice, thanks. There's a few ways to do this, good to have some tricks. I hadn't thought about using the merge mix, that's a good way. Cleaner than using volume blocks.

And the volume pedal with reversed volume to blend them is cool. Doesn't work for this preset but I'll keep that in mind. I also like the Variax volume knob method. So many ways to skin the cat.

I've got snap 1 as a clean T model, 2 as Spank with some gain, 3 my hot rail bridge magnetic, then 4 Lester for lead. 

1 and 2 go to Placater clean, 3 and 4 go to Soldano dual cab (L/R split).

Pretty sweet too be able to do all that in one preset!

An alternate way to do this is create a custom 'guitar' on the variax that has 100% magnetics blend, and switch to that 'model' using the helix - this assumes you want either magnetics or modelled variax, not a blend.

It'd be nice to be able to blend the magnetics in the Helix patch - but I can't find a way to do that other than different input types and a merge block

1 hour ago, waymda said:

It'd be nice to be able to blend the magnetics in the Helix patch - but I can't find a way to do that other than different input types and a merge block

What about trying what silverhead suggested above? I just gave it a whirl and seems ok! For my setup I don't want a blend,  but I might mess around with it later. 

On 11/10/2020 at 10:02 PM, silverhead said:

assigning both VOL blocks to the same physical pedal and configuring their Min/Max values oppositely. When one is at 100% the other is at 0%. That way you achieve a blend of the two inputs, with the pedal at heel position being 100% one input and at toe position being 100% the other.

7 hours ago, firehawkkwah said:

What about trying what silverhead suggested above? I just gave it a whirl and seems ok! For my setup I don't want a blend,  but I might mess around with it later. 

Oh, and if you keep two truly separate paths with amp and cab models, one variax models panned left and one variax mags panned right, you get a nice double track guitar sound.  There is just enough lag in the variax models signal over the variax mags to make that double-track delay effect.  Sounds better than trying to use a delay block to me.

I posted this preset and clip, image file back in 2018.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wr9syefoainvcdj/AACdGsgryvKhy7vA9PYOwWPAa?dl=0