Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Free IR's: 412 Greenback & 412 V30

roscoe5

Hello Helix friends

I hope everyone is doing well in the pandemic and political climate.  But to take a break from our real problems and have a little fun...

I have been obsessed with 412 cabs with Greenback speakers lately.  Funny because I was a hardcore Vintage 30 guy.  I'm not one that likes huge libraries of IR packs, so I just made a couple that work well (according to my ear and taste) with most Helix amp models, as well as my real amps into a reactive load box.  I think they are neutral enough to leave a lot of the tone control to the amp controls, pedals, and guitar tone knob as well.

Anyway, though I would share with you all.  Enjoy :)

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/69ckvcunxirllw9/AADDwXE0w8mKG6jk6_MTT6wJa?dl=0

R5_412_GB_Edgy.wav

R5_412_GB_Smedgy.wav

R5_412_GB_Smooth.wav

R5_412_V30_Edgy.wav

R5_412_V30_Smedgy.wav

R5_412_V30_Smooth.wav

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

It is nice of you to share these... thanks for the offering! I will certainly try them out when I get a moment. 

FYI... -18 is a safe zone in the digital world that most of us are used to. Don't get caught up with a number being in the negative.

Now for a real possible problem.... if someone needs to set your IR to 0 then loads a standard IR into that slot... they risk speaker and/or hearing damage! Just to do a simple comparison between your IR and 3rd party IR would require more than just swapping the IR. I would recommend something more in the -12 to -18 range to stay consistent with everyone else. 

Just my 2 cents! 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Schmalle said:

Oh geez.  Dur.  I totally forgot about normalize to -0.3 db!  I have fixed and updated the ones on dropbox.  They now match the level of the IR's you fixed and attached to your response.  Thank you!

Honestly it's been about 2-3 years since I made any IR's and I had to reinstall and update all of the software.  I just forgot that step.

2 hours ago, codamedia said:

It is nice of you to share these... thanks for the offering! I will certainly try them out when I get a moment. 

FYI... -18 is a safe zone in the digital world that most of us are used to. Don't get caught up with a number being in the negative.

Now for a real possible problem.... if someone needs to set your IR to 0 then loads a standard IR into that slot... they risk speaker and/or hearing damage! Just to do a simple comparison between your IR and 3rd party IR would require more than just swapping the IR. I would recommend something more in the -12 to -18 range to stay consistent with everyone else. 

Just my 2 cents! 

Fixed levels and updated the files on Dropbox.  They work at -18db now.

• Like 1

Thanks so much roscoe5. I try them out in the next few days. So grateful when I get a recommendation and even better with one or two IR's  that are tested and have a chance to work. Have a collection of too many IRs, purchased and free ones. Last one that I bought was the Celestion Suhr pack (500 IR's to scan through), I was lucky to read a post that had tested them all and made 9 recommendation... that's the ones I use together with 3 others. Else returned to standard cabs, mostly for 1x and 2x cabs (Grammatico 112 is a favorite). Haven't had so much luck with the 412 standard cabs so looking forward to test yours.

Take care... //Per        

• Like 1

Gave them a test run, all 6, in a clean (WhoWatt) and a OD (Brit Plexi Brt) patch. Used my Gibson LP and my Strat (SSS) in all positions. These are great work roscoe5... I just added them to my top 15 list of preferred IR’s. Will have to do some more testing but think they just kicked out my Celestion Shure 412 GB and V30 IR’s… You just chance my to-do list for the weekend and my neighbors will get crazy on me. I will blame you :-)

Have a fantastic weekend

Take care… //Per

• Like 1

Just curious, if you would use these IRs live, where would you put the high cuts (on the IR block)?

Obviously depends a bit on the amp you'll use, but let's say this would be the 2204 (JCM800) model.

If you already built a live patch, would you mind sharing? 

2 hours ago, Hillman1312 said:

Just curious, if you would use these IRs live, where would you put the high cuts (on the IR block)?

Personally, I find the cuts (both high and low) on the IR block to be insufficiently steep. Of course it also depends on the IR, but usually, In case I just want to remove some low end rumble, very often the low cut will spread into the "meat" frequency range, something I usually don't want. Similar for the the high cut. Set to cut the unwanted highs sufficiently, it will often spread into the "cut through" or "chime" range and cut important things there as well.

Because of that, I usually add an EQ block straight after the IR block. And fwiw, instead of cutting both highs and lows, I sometimes simply use a broad midband boost instead, giving similar results. Or a combination of all these. Once I'm happy, I may just combine IR and EQ into a single IR back home, using Helix Native and some "re-IR-ing" technique (which I would happily describe in case there's some interest).

Interesting ... I moved away from using the EQ-block cuts at the end of the chain to using cuts in the IR block. My thought was that because the cutoff indeed is less steep I can get rid of the unwanted frequencies, yet can use the amp to dial in the "cut" to how I like it/ need it. My starting points are 100 Hz low and 5 kHz high cut on the IR-block. At lower volumes this sounds a bit dull, but it usually works pretty well at gig levels. For the EQ block cuts this would more or less be close to a low cut at 80-100 (difficult to hear) and for the high cut it would be around 10 kHz. I guess there is no wrong or right ....

BTW, I like the idea of re-IR-ing; I have done it in Helix (Native) to capture combinations of the stock-cabs + EQ's, but indeed it will work for existing IRs in exactly the same way. I  use Ableton and the M4L IR Measurement Device. Easy and very fast.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Hillman1312 said:

Interesting ... I moved away from using the EQ-block cuts at the end of the chain to using cuts in the IR block. My thought was that because the cutoff indeed is less steep I can get rid of the unwanted frequencies, yet can use the amp to dial in the "cut" to how I like it/ need it. My starting points are 100 Hz low and 5 kHz high cut on the IR-block. At lower volumes this sounds a bit dull, but it usually works pretty well at gig levels. For the EQ block cuts this would more or less be close to a low cut at 80-100 (difficult to hear) and for the high cut it would be around 10 kHz. I guess there is no wrong or right ....

Well, with a high cut at 5kHz, the higher mids are often affected way too much IMO, using the cab block's EQ. Similar for the low cut.

I really got used to trim out pretty much anything a patch/IR doesn't need - but I want to retain sort of maximum tweaking freedom in the midrange frequencies, so I prefer very steep cuts. As of lately, I tried fooling around with iZotopes Ozone (some light version), allowing for brickwall EQing, doesn't work too bad, especially on low end stuff.

16 minutes ago, Hillman1312 said:

I  use Ableton and the M4L IR Measurement Device. Easy and very fast.

Oh, so that M4L thing allows for IR export as well? And does it properly trim the beginning?

Personally, I'm doing it manually, but I got extremely fast by now (I'm doing this since over a decade already).

27 minutes ago, SaschaFranck said:

Oh, so that M4L thing allows for IR export as well? And does it properly trim the beginning?

Personally, I'm doing it manually, but I got extremely fast by now (I'm doing this since over a decade already).

There's a small bit of extra work to be done. Since I'm using a Mac the M4L exports only as an AIF file. I import into Audacity to convert to WAV.

The trimming is not bad, but in Audacity I manually trim to the sample just before the curve starts. This is only a few samples (about 20-30 or so). I don't care about the tail of the file as Helix anyhow takes care of that.

28 minutes ago, Hillman1312 said:

There's a small bit of extra work to be done. Since I'm using a Mac the M4L exports only as an AIF file. I import into Audacity to convert to WAV.

The trimming is not bad, but in Audacity I manually trim to the sample just before the curve starts. This is only a few samples (about 20-30 or so). I don't care about the tail of the file as Helix anyhow takes care of that.

I see, thanks. So that's a little similar to how I'm doing things. I'm however using a dirac impulse to trigger my IR/EQ-mixing-shebang, export and trim. I could possibly avoid trimming entirely (and Logic is already exporting .wav files), but I learned to not necessarily trust the bouncing function all the time (should give it a few more testruns as it'd really save me some trimming work).

1 hour ago, Hillman1312 said:

Maybe I misunderstood, but how can you measure the characteristics of a cab with a dirac impulse? That's pretty much just a very (very, very) short spike ? 

Oh right, that probably wasn't worded well. I'm not measuring IRs (well, I sometimes look at them in Room EQ Wizard, but usually I don't). I'm just using the dirac to "shoot" new combined IRs. Works a treat and doesn't require using any deconvolving software (unfortunately it only works well in the digital domain, hardware capturing usually requires sweeps or at least longer impulses to be captured properly).

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Wondo100 said:

For IRs on the Powercabs would you recommend the same starting points of around 100Hz - 5kHz? 

Not sure to be honest; I don't have a Powercab. Probably you'll want to start higher (maybe 7 - 8) and then go lower if the sound is too bright/harsh. Just like the stock cabs, IRs come in many different types. Some of them are pretty dark by whereas others are very bright. Reason I'm starting around 5 is because this works at gig volume levels in combination with my Alto speaker (TS308) or the PA's in the rehearsal rooms. I do need to mention that the Alto sounds different from both PA's I play over and each PA also sounds different. The Alto seems to be on the brighter side which may explain why I cut to around 5KHz. Anyway, trust your ears but be careful not to go too high in volume for too long time; you want to avoid tinnitus and/or hearing loss.