Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Drivers and support for the new Macs with M1 processor

I was wondering to which date would Line6 be able to support the new Macs coming out. They've got the new Apple M1 processor, so the old drivers wouldn't work, I think. Without these drivers, you can forgot the new Mac, regarding the usage of Line6 products.

The operating system Big Sur is compatible with most products, as stated here: 

Another page with Big Sur compatibility from Sweet Water:

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/macos-11-big-sur-compatibility-guide/

Yet another very good page for the compatibility on M1 and music production software in general (unfortunately without mentioning Line6):

https://isapplesiliconready.com/for/music

For my original question from Nov, 2020 there is still no official answer from Line6 or anyone else. There are news about the upcoming M1X or M2 processors, for which the very same is true: no new drivers, no native support.

Similar questions to my original question: 

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/line6-not-supporting-apple-anymore-is-native-a-dying-product.2245162/

In this german forum a guy says he had no latency or any other issues with MacBook Air M1 / Big Sur 11.4 with the software Helix Native:

https://www.musiker-board.de/threads/helix-native-in-logic-pro-auf-m1-macbook-air.721520/

Edited by winchy
Additional links and information

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This needs to be addressed by Line6. The new MB Pro's are audio monsters and I'm sure many music creators are looking hard at it. This thing can run 30+ tracks and dozens of plugins simultaneously so it's time for companies like Line6 to step up. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Amazing if there's no way for Line6 and Apple to communicate and make both companies customers happy.

Id hate to throw away another fully working electrical item(KB37), just because it won't get a new driver!!!

did anyone say "climate crisis"... "littering"...unnecessary garbage....?

Personally I'm lucky enough that this is not something my income is depending on, so I'll wait for the new driver, I see progress on a lot of other devices of other manufacturers, so why not Line6. Maybe they have not enough capacity to do this quicker. Also Apple is working on doing the machine code translation via Rosetta better, so I'd give them some more months. Also the M1 pro and M1 max would give Line6 another reason to do something about this.

What is a bit more problematic to me is that Line6 doesn't seem to care to inform about progress.

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/5/2023 at 1:47 AM, phil_m said:

No, it runs natively.

Im not sure about that. I know L6 says it does run natively, but yeah..doesnt look like that.

When I installed Native 3.5 on my M1 pro (brand new), MacOs said Rosetta was required to proceed with the installation, and it did it.

Same goes with HX Edit.

They runs fine tho, even if as Intel process.

On 2/5/2023 at 11:18 AM, PierM said:

Im not sure about that. I know L6 says it does run natively, but yeah..doesnt look like that.

When I installed Native 3.5 on my M1 pro (brand new), MacOs said Rosetta was required to proceed with the installation, and it did it.

Same goes with HX Edit.

They runs fine tho, even if as Intel process.

Not sure why you're getting that message, but M1 support was added in the 3.15 update. It could be the installer runs on Rosetta. I do believe HX Edit needs Rosetta to run, though.

image.thumb.png.5bbcec4f4baa7a8b41a72c7232fb124a.png