Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pod GO vs Helix HX

Agamemnon5

Im not sure which one of these to get, i don't really care about amp sims etc just fx, the Go has an expression pedal, looks better(I know i know lol) So im leaning towards that but im assuming the HX sounds would be higher quality, not so sure. Any help?

Thanks

Well, the effects are the same with a few caveats. The POD Go doesn’t have a few models the HX Effects has - the Cosmos Echo and Tone Sovereign (King of Tone) and to name a few. It also won’t be getting the new polyphonic effects coming with the 3.0 update. The POD Go delays have a max delay time of 2 seconds, whereas the HX Effects delays max out at 8 seconds.

Really, if you’re genuinely not interested in amp models, the HX Effects is the way to go. It will give you a lot more flexibility, and it’s a lot more powerful as an effects-only platform.

37 minutes ago, cristt said:

I quote phili_m

the amp sims are the same of the helix series (except some missing if I remember) so top line 6 quality. you also can load IRs.

Pod Go has all the current Helix amp & cab models. There are currently only 3 Helix FX not in Pod Go:  Clawthorn drive, Distortion > Tone Sovereign, Delay > Cosmos Echo

1 hour ago, voxman55 said:

Pod Go has all the current Helix amp & cab models. There are currently only 3 Helix FX not in Pod Go:  Clawthorn drive, Distortion > Tone Sovereign, Delay > Cosmos Echo

you sure? I knew at least one or two amps are not there. if I go wrong, good to know. 

7 hours ago, cristt said:

you sure? I knew at least one or two amps are not there. if I go wrong, good to know. 

Have a look at the amp models listed in the Pod Go manual and then compare with the Helix manual. If you see any differences, please do flag them.

I've just looked on the BenVesco DSP chart and there are some further effects that are in Helix but not in Pod Go. I think there are 5:

clawthorne drive    Wounded Paw Battering Ram bass overdrive (Hx DSP allocation 17.87% mono, 34.33% stereo)

cosmos echo    Roland® RE-201 Space Echo  (Hx DSP allocation 14.13% mono,  25.6% stereo )

tone sovereign    Analogman King of Tone V4 (Hx DSP allocation 20% mono, 38% stereo)

Legendary Drive    Carvin VLD1 Legacy Drive (high gain channel) (Hx DSP allocation 21.33% mono, 41.33% stereo)

3 osc synth    Line 6 Original (Hx DSP allocation  8.97% mono, 18.13% stereo)

I'm not quite sure why the 3 Osc Snth wasn't included in Pod Go as based on the Helix DSP useage it would use up less DSP than the dual pitch, which is included in Pod Go

15 hours ago, voxman55 said:

I'm not quite sure why the 3 Osc Snth wasn't included in Pod Go as based on the Helix DSP useage it would use up less DSP than the dual pitch, which is included in Pod Go

According to the FAQ, it's because this effect exists only in stereo, and the POD Go only includes mono version of Pitch/Synth effects.

So i have decided to get a helix hx but im unsure how to connect it up, i want to use it for things like reverb, chorus etc etc in my amps fx loop, while using a maxon od808 as my OD, sorry for the silly question im just a bit confused.To someone who has tried in fx loop for these types of effects or in front of amp which would you say is best?

Does it just go like this

Guitar into Maxon OD into amp input

Send of amp to return of hx
Send of hx to return amplifier

or should i use the 4CM and do this

Guitar to HX Effects Guitar In

HX Effects Send Loop 1 to Maxon OD to Amp Main Input

Amp FX Send Loop to HX Effects Return Loop 1

HX Effects 1/4" Left (mono) Out to Amp FX Return Loop

Thanks