Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

problems updating to firmware 2.92 from older versions

coverbandplayer

Help! Since getting Helix Floor about 18 months ago, I've been using the 2.30 firmware it came with. Now I want to upgrade to 2.92. I'm using a HP laptop running Windows 10 (I know, I hate it too!).

The Line 6 website says, "Doesn't matter what firmware your Helix/HX product is currently running; you can go straight to 2.92." (see photo 1).

I have installed and can open HX Edit 2.92. 

With HX Edit open, I click on 'Update available' (in bottom left of HX Edit window), and click on 'Update now'.

I get to point 4 of Step 2 ("Click "Update Now." A window appears, asking you to back up your Helix/HX hardware. Click OK, optionally rename the backup and/or choose a different destination folder, and then click "Create Backup.") But no matter how many times I restart the Helix and/or HX Edit, I always get the error message, 'Backup dialog failed to load. Click OK to retry' (see photo 2) and no matter how many times I click on OK I get the same error message. I also get no response when I try in HX Edit to use the Create Backup option under File menu - it just will not create a backup. That 'seems' to prevent the installation of Firmware 2.92 from starting but I am guessing that.

All help appreciated.

1.jpg

2.jpg

If I'm remembering correctly that's not a modal dialogue so you don't have to perform the backup in order to progress to the update of the firmware.  It's more or less a reminder.  I don't think I ever use it.  Instead I use the HX edit for the current version of my firmware (which in your case would be HX Edit 2.30) to do my backup.  Then I download and run the HX Edit install for 2.92 and ignore the backup reminder and continue with the install.  The problem being that the versions of HX Edit and the Firmware HAVE TO MATCH for everything to work.  After the fact I usually do my backup using the updated version of HX Edit that will match my firmware.

1 hour ago, DunedinDragon said:

If I'm remembering correctly that's not a modal dialogue so you don't have to perform the backup in order to progress to the update of the firmware.  It's more or less a reminder.  I don't think I ever use it.  Instead I use the HX edit for the current version of my firmware (which in your case would be HX Edit 2.30) to do my backup.  Then I download and run the HX Edit install for 2.92 and ignore the backup reminder and continue with the install.  The problem being that the versions of HX Edit and the Firmware HAVE TO MATCH for everything to work.  After the fact I usually do my backup using the updated version of HX Edit that will match my firmware.

Many thanks DD for the very quick response, I appreciate it.

What you suggest seems very sensible except that I can't get past the backup reminder in order to start the install of firmware 2.92. It just continues around that loop I mentioned in my origianl post.

'Modal dialogue' sounds important - could you explain that too if you get a moment?

I also reinstalled HX Edit2.30  to match my Helix's 2.30 firmware and tried to do a backup from the file menu - again nothing happened.

Thanks again buddy.

Problem now solved. I tried the update, following Line 6's instructions, on another HP laptop again running Windows 10. This time is worked beautifully.

To anyone who might be having the same or a similar problem, it could be worth bearing that in mind.

Off to try all the new stuff (I upgraded from 2.30).

Cheers

23 hours ago, coverbandplayer said:

Many thanks DD for the very quick response, I appreciate it.

What you suggest seems very sensible except that I can't get past the backup reminder in order to start the install of firmware 2.92. It just continues around that loop I mentioned in my origianl post.

'Modal dialogue' sounds important - could you explain that too if you get a moment?

I also reinstalled HX Edit2.30  to match my Helix's 2.30 firmware and tried to do a backup from the file menu - again nothing happened.

Thanks again buddy.

A modal dialogue is a window that you can't get past without doing what it's asking you to do.

Given that you got the update to work on your laptop it could very well be your desktop PC has either some problems with some of it's USB ports actually being hubs which tend to cause problems, or you also may have problems with some other devices that are attached such as a Logitech hub which has been known to cause problems.  Glad you got it all sorted out though.