Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX FX with IR's

fenderbenderlax

HI Folks,

I'm thinking about what might be the best way to use my tube amp with the IR's using HX FX. This is my standard setting..

Guitar -> HX Input 

HX send 1 -> Amp input

Amp send -> HX return

HX Left main out -> Amp return

Amp speaker out to a reactive load...

on my HX I think drop a FX block and have my pre post effects. Finally I drop an IR in the end of the chain and pull it down to an alternate path and mix it by hard panning the IR to the Right output on the HX. Then the Right output goes into my interface. This seems to work just fine. 

However, I wonder if there is another way to do this where I can use both the left and right outputs to my interface and maybe blend two different IR's...if yes, how would I route that...any help is much appreciated...Thanks in advance...

10 minutes ago, fenderbenderlax said:

HI Folks,

I'm thinking about what might be the best way to use my tube amp with the IR's using HX FX. This is my standard setting..

Guitar -> HX Input 

HX send 1 -> Amp input

Amp send -> HX return

HX Left main out -> Amp return

Amp speaker out to a reactive load...

on my HX I think drop a FX block and have my pre post effects. Finally I drop an IR in the end of the chain and pull it down to an alternate path and mix it by hard panning the IR to the Right output on the HX. Then the Right output goes into my interface. This seems to work just fine. 

However, I wonder if there is another way to do this where I can use both the left and right outputs to my interface and maybe blend two different IR's...if yes, how would I route that...any help is much appreciated...Thanks in advance...

You could use a parallel path: IR -> Send 1/2. See page 30 in the manual for details.

29 minutes ago, Schmalle said:

You could use a parallel path: IR -> Send 1/2. See page 30 in the manual for details.

Thanks for that..I agree we could do that..but note that for the main path, I still need to send the signal back to my amp...if I put an IR in that path, would that IR also not be part of the signal that goes into the return of the amp?

54 minutes ago, fenderbenderlax said:

Thanks for that..I agree we could do that..but note that for the main path, I still need to send the signal back to my amp...if I put an IR in that path, would that IR also not be part of the signal that goes into the return of the amp?

No, the Sends are used as additional parallel outputs that carry the signal of the normal outs and only add IR. RTM

1 hour ago, Schmalle said:

No, the Sends are used as additional parallel outputs that carry the signal of the normal outs and only add IR. RTM

thanks again...Yeah I get that we can use the sends...but my question was how to run two IR's in stereo..maybe my original question was not clear..I'm not sure how the routing would look like as I would need an IR on both paths...

42 minutes ago, fenderbenderlax said:

thanks again...Yeah I get that we can use the sends...but my question was how to run two IR's in stereo..maybe my original question was not clear..I'm not sure how the routing would look like as I would need an IR on both paths...

Why not use the not-alternate path and put a second IR block in there and pan it hard left?

[Use 1024 sample IR blocks for that.]