Jump to content

Compatibility with macOS Big Sur


TheR0cket147
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hey there... yeah I’ve been running macOS BS  (<— cracks me up each time) & and it ran fine for me.

 

The biggest issue my MacBook had was HX edit .Once I got my Helix LT I obviously wanted to use, it ultimately ran fine & you could use it, However it would spike my cpu to 100-150%  as soon as I’d interact with the interface..... And my MacBook is no slouch either.

 

 

edit: I’ve just assumed you’re using Logic/GB as you’d be crazy not too lol... so yeah, can’t speak for VST3 or axx 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, TheR0cket147 said:

Hello,

I know that Helix Native has no official support for macOS 11 yet, but I'm just curious if someone has already installed Big Sur and can tell if Helix Native runs on their machine


Hi,

 

I can see that there is a response from “Sean_2e” saying it is working fine, but,  a couple of days back I had an email from Line6 (plus one from each of Native Instruments, IK Multimedia, AKAI Pro, Sonivox and Eventide) suggesting that updating to Big Sur should be avoided until all the compatibility checks are cleared from them. Sensible request, because if you then have issues with the software, how are they going to be able to supply support?

 

There is even a note about Mac OS 11, in an orange banner at the top of all these forums.

 

YMMV, but I learned a long time back to not be an early adopter of Mac OS updates. I still run Logic 10.4.x and in next to no time it has jumped up to v10.6. Quite a leap in a short space of time considering how long it took previously. I remain wary with anything that could be regarded an “mission critical”.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Many audio software products are advising not to move to Big Sur just yet (see this handy site), including my DAW-of-choice Cubase and probably some of my other plugins.  Unless everything you need - software and hardware - is shown as BS-ready, I'd wait before chancing it.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can confirm that HDProX edit will install, and start up, but it can't see my HD ProX; neither can LogicProX - I suppose we have to wait for the drivers (I tried this on a spare Mac laptop - not done it on my main iMac machine, which is still running Catalina 10.15.7)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/6/2020 at 12:45 AM, avanveld said:

but does anyone know about Helix Native? That's all I use (w/ Logic and MainStage)

Avanveld,


I think some people forget that people are asking because they need to upgrade to macOS 11 for say, employment needs & don’t own a 2nd MacBook.... 

 

Anyways, I can confirm that HX Native runs is pretty close to stable in my experience & with my laptop (2019 16” MacBook Pro), But there’s reasons why I’d say wait/go another route depending on your needs.

 

Using live? -  No.

Don’t upgrade yet & 100% wait for L6 to give their clear.

 

Not using live?  - Yes  (read on though)

If you don’t use it for live situations & really need macOS 11 then do a macOS dual-boot & test away.

This is by far the safest option ***

 

https://tinyurl.com/y6b6o29u

 

***If install HX N on macOS 11 & you run into issues DON’T BOTHER L6 SUPPORT!!

They won’t help you (rightfully so) as it’s currently not supported. 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tks Sean - I DO use Helix Native in MainStage for playing live so I guess I'll hold off to be safe. Tks for the detailed answer - really appreciate it. 

 

I also have the 2019 16" MBP w/ SSD and a ton of RAM btw...great machine but I don't want to mess w/ another OS instance. It is my work computer and everything else I need is already Big Sur ok for work...but I'm not forced to so sitting still is fine for now.

 

Tks, again

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Adding a bit on this: I updated to BigSur and am using helix native 3.01 and my CPU isn't liking it at all.

 

Audio part seems to be working fine but the UI part seems to be having weird issues and get my CPU high as hell, which make the UI super painful to use and therefore quite useless.

I wouldn't recommend updating right now to be honest.

 

Tested in: 

- Reaper 6.18

- Audio Hijack, latest version

- AU and VST3 show the same issue

 

Both went through the roof (cpu wise) as soon as I loaded helix native in there.

Hope this will get some attention soon because I can't use it anymore :( 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tks for the details - I'll clearly be waiting. 

 

It is somewhat annoying (say whatever you want about macOS upgrades) that of all the software I use for business (pro audio company) and personal (logic, mainstage) that Line6 is the ONLY company that isn't ready.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, avanveld said:

It is somewhat annoying (say whatever you want about macOS upgrades) that of all the software I use for business (pro audio company) and personal (logic, mainstage) that Line6 is the ONLY company that isn't ready.

 

Same for me.  I put together a spreadsheet to track which of the software that I use and need is ready for Big Sur.  It's a long list (maybe 25 non-Apple supplications) of mostly music and photo software that's gradually been turning from red to yellow to green over the last weeks.  At this point, Helix Native (and not certain about HX Edit) is the only outstanding red light that's preventing me from updating.

 

I'm still patient, but hopefully won't need to be for much longer.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, loonsailor said:

I'm still patient, but hopefully won't need to be for much longer.


You have always got the option of using a dual boot system on your Mac. It’s what many others have done. 
 

https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/dual-boot-mac-3659676/

 

 

Edited by datacommando
Added link
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

So....4 months ago Line6 said to wait patiently for Big Sur compatibility.

 

And the programmers knew it was coming so they would have had a head start.

 

Any news/clue from anyone on the status of this? (unless I missed an email or can't read their website properly...which could be true!)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/27/2020 at 3:34 AM, freeformnet said:

Hi to all,
I've made the error to update to BigSur before reading this topic... 
HX Edit doesn't work correctly. It is very very very slow and it continuously disconnects from the Helix floor.
The result? I can't use it.

 

My MAC was updated to Big Sur prior to buying my HX Stomp. I'm experiencing the precise issues that you describe here. Constantly disconnecting and need to restart the actual unit (not the software) to get Helix Edit to work. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, njc235 said:

I have read this article and have not experienced any of these issues on my M1 MacMini.


Well, I guess that is the point.
 

You may not have experienced any of these issues, but it doesn’t mean they don’t exist.

 

Hope this helps/makes sense.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We're going on amlost 5 months now and its crickets from Line6.  

 

Sidenote: if you have an M1 mac you are most likely all set because of Rosetta2.  Alotta peeps don't realize that, but intel mac apps can run on M1, and are almost more stable than on an intel mac. Its the background translation app between intel and Apple silicon, but it happens automatically. It takes like 30 seconds for Rosetta2 to translate it all the first time you open an intel mac app, and then its good to go everytime thereafter.  What that does or doesn't do for hardware, i'm not sure, but thats the edge the M1-types have on us intel mac folk right now.

 

but honestly, all of my plug-ins, hardware, and things i use for recording ALL officially support Big Sur now EXCEPT Podfarm... so like could we, already, Line6??  (i know they're not listening, but its getting frustrating.) 

 

I dont want to abandone that meodeling app because of what i paid for it, AND since i have years of work in to my sound/presets in it. Line6 modelers are my fave when it comes to recording, but srsly, this update should not be taking half a year to release.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, RobSummer said:

Is there an approximate timeline as to when we will get an "all clear"?  Just got a new iMac.  Big Sur is already on it... now i can't use it with my Helix Floor 

 
“It’s coming, but not today.” quote Digital Igloo (Eric Klein), 5th February 2021.

 

D5BC7C4A-337A-4031-9393-45124E8610EE.thumb.png.e25f98f5bb34c790206661e8e164c684.png
 

While you wait you could read through this thread on TGP.

 

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/new-apple-macs-with-m1and-big-sur-performance-compatibility-issues.2200502/

 

Hope this helps/makes sense.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...