Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Line 6 Variax Cabled Power Kit

Hello everyone,

I was thinking of purchasing the Line 6 Variax Cabled Power Kit from Sweetwater as for I am tired of the battery dead, when I go to play my JTV-69. I don't have a TRS cable plugged in, but I don't play it that often, but when I do it's dead. So I have a few questions and I did search the forums before asking. 

1. Lets say I want to use stompboxes with it do I put it after the DI box? 

2. If I want to plug it into a PA system where do the stompboxes go then?

3. If I want to plug in a regular guitar and use it to go to a PA system, I read not to power the DI box. So then I would have electric / acoustic go into effects then DI box then to PA system?

I ask because I do not know, and cannot find a manual anywhere online. I also am trying to save money by not having an additional DI box. Thank you in advance,

Satyan Patel

21 hours ago, satu87121 said:

1. Lets say I want to use stompboxes with it do I put it after the DI box? 

Stompboxes would be connected to the 1/4" output of the DI, and then into your guitar amplifier.

2. If I want to plug it into a PA system where do the stompboxes go then?

Normally, the XLR output from the DI is what's connected to a PA. But this isn't a typical path for stompboxes, which normally have a 1/4" line level signal path. You could plugin to the PA using the same 1/4" connections as in #1, going into a 1/4" line input on your mixer instead of the XLR connector. You lose the advantage of a balanced connection, but it should still work just fine...

3. If I want to plug in a regular guitar and use it to go to a PA system, I read not to power the DI box. So then I would have electric / acoustic go into effects then DI box then to PA system?

I'm not touching this one. Maybe someone else will weigh in on this...

Cbrillow,

Thank you for your fast reply! After posting this comment I went to eBay and found other DI boxes that are very low priced. Some in the 40-60 dollars passive and powered options. I guess I can use one of those DI boxes for my other guitars after the pedals. Thank you for answering the other questions though. Unbalanced connection is just fine and good to know, I use unbalanced for my synths and haven't had any issues with interference as far as my home recording and mixer. I don't ever plan to perform so I'm not worried other PA systems and mixers. Thank you again,

Satyan Patel