Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

signal path and 4 cable method

mkmona04

new pod go user here.   Connected pod go to tube amp using 4 cable method in teh owner's manual.  from what i would expect, any effect in the signal chain before the effects loop icon on the pod go should be routed to the front of the amp and any effect after the effects loop iconon teh pod go shoul dbe going to the amp's effect loop in the back of the amp.  If that is true, I would expect that if i place an effect after the pod go effects loop icon and toggle the effects loop of on teh pod go, i should NOT hear that effect in the amp since it should only be going through the effects loop that I clicked off.  But - i still hear the effect in my test.  AM i missing something?

Yes, you are misunderstanding. When you turn off the POD Go FX Loop you bypass the loop but the rest of the signal chain is active. That means the signal no longer goes from the POD Go FX Send to the front of your amp, and the FX Receive on the POD Go no longer receives the signal from your amp’s FX Send. However, the signal continues through your POD Go and passes through the remaining FX blocks in your signal path. So the FX you place after the POD Go FX Loop are active and are passed through the POD Go outputs to your amp’s FX Receive, and then are heard through the amp’s speaker. 

The typical use for 4CM is allow you to construct presets that use either a POD Go preamp model or your physical amp’s preamp section - not both. When you want to use a POD Go preamp model you turn the FX Loop off and make sure the Preamp block in your preset is active. Since you are using your physical amp’s cab/speaker you don’t want to use the full amp model (which includes the cab section) in your POD Go preset. When you want to use your physical amp’s preamp you turn the POD Go FX Loop on and you bypass the amp/preamp block in your preset. In the latter case you are essentially using the POD Go only as an FX (not amp) processor, with the flexibility of placing your FX blocks before or after the amp. But in all cases all FX blocks in your POD Go preset are active unless you bypass them.

yeah silverhead is right. if you think, your main out is connected to the fx return anyway, so even if you bypass the fx loop your signal will always pass through there. bypassing a block doesn't mean that the signal stops there, it just means is bypassed that signal elaboration point. 

• 5 months later...

I too have just got hold of a Pod Go and very good it is too!

I have an amplifier with a stereo effects loop, a Fender Princeton Chorus and I would like to use this for for my delays, chorus effects, reverb etc. It doesn't seem that the 4 cable method as I've seen it described on line will work for this?

I'm thinking I'll need to take the left and right main outputs and feed then into the stereo effects loop return, does this sound correct?

Thanks

I see the manual's 4-cable method and it mentions being able to switch between the amp's preamp and the GO's preamp models.

What if you just want to use the GO's preamp models?  How do I set the GO?

• 5 months later...
I have been struggling with the 4 Cable Method and my Marshall DSL 20 tube amp for weeks. I could not get it to work or get my head around it. Been through the manual and numerous other forum posts. Finally saw a YouTube video that shone some light and as Borat would say "Great Success!!!".

In the signal path you must place the amp/pre amp and cab blocks after the Mono FX Loop block.
You should deactivate the amp/preamp and cab blocks. You then need to activate the Mono FX Loop block.
The level of the signal from before the Pod Go Mono FX Loop block being passed through the FX Loop must be adjusted by the FX Mono Loop block controls, so that the levels before and after the block are uniform.
My Marshall pedal FX loop switch must be engaged to bring in the effects after the Pod Go FX Mono Loop block.
And, very importantly, the level of the effects/signal after the loop is controlled by the Pod Go main volume control.
Which muddys the water and threw me a curve ball, as it has no effect on the signal or effect blocks before the FX Mono Loop block.
Good luck. 

Show less