Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Need Some Guidance For My Jtv Purchase

Hi

I never owned a Line6 guitar, and i am thinking about buying the Line6 Variax JTV-59P.

There are some questions i couldnt find on the net so thats why i am here.

1. Whats the difference between 59P and 59? except for the pickups.

The price is a lot higher without the P90 pickups, so i wonder what it

is i am getting for extra 400EUR?

2. Does the JTV-69 and JTV-59 have different sounds and tones in them??

Do i get the same type of possibilties with both? The choice is between them.

3. I seen CAR, and 3TS, TSB, and P, and many types of endings. What do they mean?

Also there, the prices differs a lot.

Mainly its the different prices to each model and that i dont know what the extra is, that is confusing me.

Im not planning on playing live. Its only for studio use.

Best regards. D

1. Whats the difference between 59P and 59? except for the pickups.

The price is a lot higher without the P90 pickups, so i wonder what it

is i am getting for extra 400EUR?

The only difference is the pickups. Pricing differences are probably just dependent on dealers trying to move stock of certain models faster.

2. Does the JTV-69 and JTV-59 have different sounds and tones in them??

Do i get the same type of possibilties with both? The choice is between them.

Modeling is the same. The tones may be slightly different simply because of the physical difference between the 69 and 59, but there is no difference in the modeling.

3. I seen CAR, and 3TS, TSB, and P, and many types of endings. What do they mean?

Also there, the prices differs a lot.

Those are the finishes.

CAR = Candy Apple Red

3TS = 3-tone Sunburst

TSB = Tobacco Sunburst

The P, if it's the 59P refers to the P90 version as opposed to the humbucker version.

• Upvote 2

Ok i see, thank you. So there really is no big reason to spend the extra 400 if its only

minor tone differences between them. The P90, is one better then the other? or why did

they release this model? Its down to choosing between with p90 or without now.

Ok i see, thank you. So there really is no big reason to spend the extra 400 if its only

minor tone differences between them. The P90, is one better then the other? or why did

they release this model? Its down to choosing between with p90 or without now.

The P90 model and the 69S models were a later release than the originals.  They provided the P90 option on the JTV59 and all single coils on the JTV69.  They are the only differences.  I believe the big price difference you are seeing is because there appears to be some stock of guitars that are just being offered at a lower price, and there may be a number of reasons for this.  I can see no reason whey anyone would pay the full price for a JTV if they can get the model they want at a 30% discount.  I have recently bought a JTV69 at the discounted price and it is perfect as far as I can tell.  The only things I found were that it had an old serial number - earlier than my JTV59 which I have had for 2 years, and it also had the firmware level of 1.71, instead of the current v2.0.  This suggests to me that it is a guitar that has been sitting in a warehouse for a couple of years and therefore has now been offered at a discounted price.  I don't know if this is true, but the facts suggest that this is the scenario.   Having an older level of the firmware is not a problem because you can always update to the latest, and if you don't like the latest, you can always roll back to an older level, and in fact some people have chosen to remain on the older levels.  As long as the guitar functions and you can set it up correctly then you should have no problems,    Your choice is this, what model you like, what pickups you like and what colour - then order the one at the best price, check it out thoroughly and swap it if you are not happy.    Hope you get one you love!     Good luck!

• Upvote 1

Makes me glad I snagged my JTV59 when it was on sale!

I am not 100% certain on this-

but I believe the JTV59-P90 version only comes in two finish options: Gold top and Black?

One other minor oddity, which I didn't really pay complete attention to until I re-read the manual last night, is the pickup selection switch - which in terms of accessing the JTV models is relevant.

On the JTV59, the pickup select switch is a THREE WAY toggle.

On the JTV69, it is a FIVE WAY toggle.

On the JTV59, to allow you access to all the options per model, you have to press down the "alternate tuning" knob. The configurations then shift.

Knob not pressed = 1, 3, 5

Knob pressed = 2 , 3, 4

SO, when in the center position on a JTV59, you always get pickup / guitar model choice #3.

With the button in (turns blue), you get options 2 and 4 on the outside switch positions.

WIth the button up (turns white) you get options 1 and 5 on the outside switch positions.

One last thing, on the JTV69 - the suffix "S" stands for single coil. For instance, Zzounds has "shoreline gold" and "black" JTV69S, new, for $999 right now- but the other finish options on same guitar cost more:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--LINJTV69S

It looks like they also have the JTV69 on sale right now too, in all (except for blue) finish options for $999.

Including the three-tone sunburst.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--LINJTV69

You will notice in the photos, that the JTV69 has a humbucker in the bridge position, where the JTV69S has a standard strat-style single coil in the bridge slot.

Going down the JTV69 road, you will find some info on the forums from people who have looked into replacing the JTV69 neck with an actual Fender strat neck, just in terms of options, a cool idea!

• Upvote 2

I see that i need to get back and read this again after i get the guitar. :) ,but the toggle thing is interesting.

I found the Jtv-59P for 833 €, and the JTV-69 for 1200 €. I think if they cost the same i go for the 69. but 833€ seems like
a good price so i think i will order that one today. The diffences you all mentioned, i cant justify the extra money. I am very excited to get it.

BTW, how is the DAW intergration? For exemple running the guitar through the workbench, then recording it in Cubase/logic etc.? 
I read the workbench doesnt come in vst, but maybe its possible to run the signal through it anyways?

BTW, how is the DAW intergration? For exemple running the guitar through the workbench, then recording it in Cubase/logic etc.? 

I read the workbench doesnt come in vst, but maybe its possible to run the signal through it anyways?

Well, the Variax is kind of like any other electric guitar in that sense. There's no DAW integration because there's nothing to integrate. You have to either use the 1/4" output to plug into an amp or modeler to record that way, or you can use the VDI output with a POD if you like. It doesn't really make a whole lot of difference as far as recording with a DAW is concerned.

I see,  Im sold. I hope the workbench gets vst support in the future. That would be absolutly perfect to model the guitar tone within the DAW. I think thats the only downside, but i can live without it. I think whats in it already will keep med busy a while. Thanks for the help guys

• Upvote 1

U shld also take into account the playablity of each jtv guitar model.

The 59 is LesPaul like and the 69 is Strat type.

The choice is urs.

Good point!  If you don't like the feel and playability of a Les Paul neck then you may not like the JTV59.  If you prefer a strat type neck then the JTV69 has a vintage size one - very narrow at the nut - so if you prefer a more standard nut width you may not like that either BUT you do have the option to replace the JTV69 neck with a standard fender neck or equivalent with the neck profile and radius and frets of your choice!    The playability of a guitar is a major deciding factor - the modelling will be the same whatever you choose - it is only the mag pickups, the neck and the colours that vary.

• Upvote 1

I owned a strat like copy onces, and it feel too small for my hand. I got small hands but maybe it was the a bad copy.

The jtv-59 is ordered now, and thanks for all the help. I think the price and what i does will suit me very well. The extra 400EUR

would hurt me so i think i made the right choice for the extra i would get for higher price. From reading the forums here, i will need to inspect it good i hear.

I will check all switches thoroughly.