Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Big Sur

rdw1963

14 hours ago, silverhead said:

Is it more reasonable to think that they all were unprepared for the final release, or to think that one company, Apple, released an OS that is non - compliant with their own specs? I think it’s more reasonable to assume that one company, rather than many, is at fault.

Now I’m out of this debate.....

That's pretty much it in a nut shell. If everyone else is the problem, then you're actually the problem, lol. 

3 hours ago, datacommando said:

Mmm... well I’ll bet Adobe are kicking themselves for not getting all their products ready.

Yeah, it sounds like Daz3D is not doing a very good job.  Adobe, however, seems to be doing pretty well.  Their stuff is running on Big Sur with minor issues... they have openly listed specific issues, which seem to be pretty small and possible workarounds... also, they only ask that customers not upgrade if they are in the middle of a project (which seems very reasonable)... and they already have betas that run on M1 silicon (which is even more recent than Big Sur)... overall, I think they are doing pretty well considering their software is light years more complex than Helix Edit.  I've been running Photoshop without issue.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, surfsup1955 said:

Up-to-date list of audio gear manufacturers who are not yet supporting Big Sur, it's a long damn list..

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/macos-11-big-sur-compatibility-guide/#macOS-11-Big-Sur-Compatibility-List

That is unbelievable. It was updated today so also as you point out, current. Should put the issue in perspective for Line6 users. When Apple has knocked this many device manufacturers off their game unless there is some super compelling reason to force them all to rewrite their code Apple should probably fix this. Quickly!

8 hours ago, surfsup1955 said:

Up-to-date list of audio gear manufacturers who are not yet supporting Big Sur, it's a long damn list..

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/macos-11-big-sur-compatibility-guide/#macOS-11-Big-Sur-Compatibility-List

It seems like a lot of companies screwed up, tut tut Steinberg :-)

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/18/2020 at 1:30 PM, DunedinDragon said:

This is incredible.  It's like talking to a wall.  The point of a beta release is NOT done to help you prepare YOUR software for the new OS.  It's about finding bugs, reporting them back to the OS development team, and stabilizing the OS.  The LAST thing you would want to do is to try and re-tool your software to work around bugs in the OS.  If, and when, the OS manufacturer states explicitly that the "bug" is not a bug but is the way it's designed to work by necessity, then and only then would a 3rd party software manufacturer take steps to fix their software, or choose to alert their customer base there are problems with the new OS and not upgrade as they did in this case.

What is stunning to me is that you insist on blaming Line 6 for not doing their job, for which you have no evidence and which is exactly the opposite of what is happening here.  They fulfilled their duty to you as their customer to alert you to the problems and try to protect you instead of placing the blame where it deserves to be placed...on the OS manufacturer that didn't adequately test their software and is causing problems with MULTIPLE 3rd party companies.  And yet in spite of all of this evidence you still choose to point your finger at all of those manufacturers than the ONE SINGLE SOURCE causing all the problems.  And you're doing it with a clear and evident lack of any knowledge about software development or computers in general.

So let's get down to the brass tacks here.  What is the single most compelling feature that is FORCING you to upgrade to Big Sur?  What is the feature you can't live without?  If you can't answer those questions then all of this is mute.  Apple is nowhere near big enough and prominent enough in the industry to be able to dictate the development schedules of all the companies that have built software for it's OS at the drop of a hat.  And that's why they have a long history of filing for bankruptcy multiple times.

I know this is an old-ish thread, but since it's still an issue and shows up in Google searches - I feel like I need to confirm for anyone else reading how ludicrously, totally and utterly wrong this commenter is in everything think about how OSs work. Anyone who has worked in software development knows this.

@Drybonz is correct in what he says. 

The point of a beta release is NOT done to help you prepare YOUR software for the new OS

This is literally the exact point of beta OSs. They are also for reporting bugs back to the OS developers, yes, but of course they're for preparing your software. How can anyone think that application developers don't start updating their software until the OS hits production. 

OSs go through multiple phases of beta. There will have been many Release Candidates of Big Sur, where initial bugs will have been ironed out. The exact point of those is for software developers to work against. 

the OS manufacturer that didn't adequately test their software

This commenter seems to think that Apple/Microsoft/Google test their operating systems with every single application anyone has ever made for them. Just stop and think about that for a minute. The practicalities of a company testing millions and millions of pieces of software made by someone else. This just does not happen.

Any issue of delay like this is 100% on the application developer. Line 6 are at fault.

Not sure if this has already been suggested... I have a Mac with Catalina. I already had a virtual Windows OS installed on the Mac using Virtualbox, and HX Edit under Virtualbox can control the Helix just fine. So I plan to update to Big Sur and use Virtualbox in case HX Edit has problems under Mac OS. Hope Line6 will update HX Edit soon though!

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, willjrock said:

Im beginning to think im the only person in the world with more than one computer.

This is one reason why line 6 really ought to port HX Edit for iOS* and Android. A few years ago having more than one computer at home was quite common. But so many people like myself have consolidated many simple tasks to a tablet or phone that they only need one ‘proper’ computer at home for tasks that a tablet can’t do such as performing firmware updates or proper work.  

I’m seriously considering getting a cheap windows 10 tablet or netbook (are they still a thing?) just for managing my helix, as their Mac support is always so far behind. It seems to be a common trend amongst hardware manufacturers - Blackstar still haven’t updated their insider software for Catalina, let along Big Sur. 

* In fact, I wonder if it it would make more sense to rewrite the app for iOS and use catalyst to run it on macOS. That way they’d only to maintain one version for all Apple devices. 

Am I right in thinking some people have got Native working on M1 MacBooks in Logic? I've tried both Rosetta Logic and Native Logic but Helix Native just freezes after authenticating and won't open up the amp/cabs/effect UI. 

I get that it's too early to presume compatibility and still have my Intel MacBook, so all is good, but wouldn't mind just using the M1 MacBook if possible. Thanks. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/5/2020 at 7:16 AM, pauljcassidy said:

Am I right in thinking some people have got Native working on M1 MacBooks in Logic? I've tried both Rosetta Logic and Native Logic but Helix Native just freezes after authenticating and won't open up the amp/cabs/effect UI. 

I get that it's too early to presume compatibility and still have my Intel MacBook, so all is good, but wouldn't mind just using the M1 MacBook if possible. Thanks. 

Just got my M1 Pro from work and doing some testing! (IT guy's gotta be the first to test, right??)

Running native Logic made Helix Native really choppy for me, and it felt like Logic would crash any minute. I was able to see and interact with the amps/cabs/effects UI, but it took multiple clicks. I set Logic to run in Rosetta and now Helix Native runs like a charm! So does Logic, honestly. This chip is magical.

I'm on macOS 11.1 and Helix Native 3.01

Just as a heads up for anyone who's interested, unless you need a Mac right this second, DO NOT BUY AN INTEL MAC. Apps are updating rapidly, and once they do, they KILL the Intel equivalents. I legitimately have not been able to get the fan to turn on with the laptop sitting on top of my comforter, even through OS updates and multiple software installs. On the 2020 Intel Air I used to use, Chrome alone made the fan turn on. I can only imagine what we're going to see when Apple updates their higher end machines. Exciting times to be an Apple-using creative professional – or IT guy :)

Hope that helps!