Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Working software for POD HD500X on Big Sur 11.0.1

Kosmonopol_JJ

Hi guys,

Just to let you know that following applications work flawlessly on macOS Big Sur 11.0.1

- POD HD500X Edit 2.27

- Licence manager, Version 1.14

- Drivers, Version 7.6.8

I haven’t needed any other software yet (I don’t even know if I could use all of it).

But I believe these are the essentials which would prevent most of us to update.

If you are still scared to upgrade or would like to have any additional sw tested, please let me know - if I can, I will gladly help you out.

Addition: I’ve recently done a very extensive troubleshooting on Drivers compatibility for Catalina (Big Sur shouldn’t be that different) so I’m throwing the complete troubleshooting guide in as an attachment.

Take care!

PODHD500X_MacOS_Drivers_Troubleshooting.docx

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm assuming Line6 Monkey is still not compatible since Mojave?  I guess it is retired?  Is there any other alternative update method? - (I think my Pod HD is up to date so probably don't need it but not sure) - have thought about upgrading to Helix but my Pod HD is in mint condition and sounds great into the return of my combo using the amp pre models.

7 minutes ago, wallhut said:

Line6 Monkey is now Line6 License Manager. You must use that new application.

No. They are still different programs and do different things. License Manager has not replaced Monkey. Seems License Manager is compatible with Big Sur. Monkey is probably not.

You need Monkey to update firmware. That's not likely to happen again with the POD HD series so if the firmware in your POD HD is up to date you likely won't need Monkey again. But if you want to purchase any POD HD Model packages in the future you will need License Manager to get them authorized and available on your POD HD device.

Thanks - It was the model packs I was wondering if I needed Monkey to install.  Good to know I can install the model packs with just Licence manager, though they'll have to offer those packs at a pretty great price to get me to buy them at this late stage of the HDs' life cycle.

Just some further clarity.... the Model Packs don’t actually need to be installed. They are already present in the firmware but hidden and inaccessible. When you purchase the Model Packs your Line 6 account is updated to reflect the purchase and then you just need to unlock them using the License Manager. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi everyone, MacBook Air M1 running Big Sur, the drivers are not working. I've tried installing and everything went through but when I connect I get the 'No devices connected.' message on the 'Line6 Audio MIDI Devices' window on mac's preferences menu.

Here's a screenshot:

Is there any procedure to follow in order to install this successfully? It sucks because it used to work on my Old Intel Mac.

Screen Shot 2021-01-17 at 21.58.07.png

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

I just moved from Windows to Mac and i.e Macbook Pro M1 Chip with BigSur. I have struggled to get used to Mac for a week now, finally after installing all the drivers, I am also having same issues as Santiulr. 

Can someone please help, I purchased mac only for sake high quality music production and I am stuck now. 

Any help would be highly appreciated

• 2 weeks later...

May have just found a solution.

I'm running Big Sur 11.2 and had gone through rounds of trying to get this to work with multiple installs of the Line6 drivers and POD HD500X Edit.  I thought to check one more time to see if the extension was being blocked and found that it wasn't, but I did find that it wasn't being loaded.  

In "System Information" look under the Software->Extensions for the "Line6Audio" extension.  There is a property there that will tell you if the driver has been loaded or not.  It should look like this:

image.thumb.png.fffb10ce2ca538d5943e7cf70e4e8e57.png

If Loaded is set to "No", type this into the Terminal using an admin user:

# sudo kextutil -vvvv -bundle-id com.line6.driver.xtaudio

That will cause the Security Panel to give you the dialog asking to authorize the extension.  I did that, and rebooted.  Once the computer was back up, my POD HD500X was being seen.

I hope this helps.  

P.S.:  I don't have an M1 mac, so I can't vouch that this method will cause the extension to load or work.  YMMV

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 4

Hi maybe I can help for anyone who is switching to the new Apple M1 chip macs. 

as confirmed there are no drivers for the Hd500x and even though line 6 were happily selling this device with its driver problems (Usb 3 issues), they probably won’t be making an updated driver. Would be nothing for them to code it as a company, but could be amazing for us who want to upgrade to newer machines or use these through usb3 ports on machines which don’t have usb2. 

anyway solution for those who want to record through the device onto Mac. 

the. Hd500x has line out which I always used to record the guitar with effectsWith a field recorder direct to logic. So cheap solution is line out from hd 500x to line in on the Mac. If you don’t have a line in, then getting another device, (I used a zoom h6 field recorder) connected to usb.m, also a mixer connected through usb would work too, though check with each manufacturer on compatibility. 

this is also a windows problem. One of my friends told me “what do you expect with Apple”. so I tried it on my gaming pc. No usb2 port. It didn’t work.

Hello!

I actually just recently purchased a pod hd500x about 6 months ago. I just found out about the Model Packs and I am trying to activate them on my pod but License manager does not recognize my pod, only edit does. Can some one please help? (2019 Mackbook pro, Big Sur)

• 3 weeks later...

I was finally able to get my POD HD500X Edit software to work.  I'm new to Mac so it took some learning.

I tried dingdini's solution but it kept giving me a "Authenticating extension failed: Bad code signature" error.  The solution was to temporarily disable SIP.  There is info on the web if you need more detail, but in short, reboot into recovery mode, go to the terminal and type "csrutil disable".  Reboot.  Once you are back in MacOS perform dingdini's solution.  It "should" work, at least it did for me.

Once you have it working, you can (and should) reenable SIP by booting back into Recover Mode, run Terminal and type "csrutil enable".  Reboot back into standard MacOS and you should be all set.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I recently shifted to a new M1 Mac, and have been facing the same problem. My Mac does not recognise my POD HD 500x, from system information, I can see that the driver has been disabled. Has anyone found a fix to this yet? I'm running Mac OS Big Sur.

19 hours ago, lollipopboy said:

I recently shifted to a new M1 Mac, and have been facing the same problem. My Mac does not recognise my POD HD 500x, from system information, I can see that the driver has been disabled. Has anyone found a fix to this yet? I'm running Mac OS Big Sur.

To whom it may concern: 

If I can't call him lollipop boy, I don't want him having the name lollipop boy. 

lollipopboy

Greetings all,

This problem is regarding my POD HD500x.  

I have to upgrade the drivers via Line6 Monkey every time I want to use it.  I am running Mac OS Mojave, and record in Logic Pro X.  Neither the Mac sound manager, Logic, or POD HD500x Edit app recognize the 500x when I plug it in.  I then go to Line 6 Monkey, update the drivers, and reboot.  

The POD gets recognized after then.  The problem is that once I unplug the 500x from the computer, I have to go through the whole process again the next time I want to play.  For some reason, the driver updates do not get saved in my computer.  Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

I recently dusted off my HD500X after about 4-6 years.  I'm not super tech savvy, but was wondering if I should bother performing any updates....or is it best to leave things alone?

For the record, I don't recall ever performing any updates since I purchased this unit.  

Thanks, 

Glen 

12 hours ago, gesteban1 said:

I recently dusted off my HD500X after about 4-6 years.  I'm not super tech savvy, but was wondering if I should bother performing any updates....or is it best to leave things alone?

For the record, I don't recall ever performing any updates since I purchased this unit.  

Thanks, 

Glen 

there is no right or wrong answer, only an 'intended usage' answer 

so, here goes: 

The X units shipped with rather new firmware. Not the newest, but new enough that you don't need anything newer if: 

1. Update if you have problems. Updates always contain bug fixes. 

2. You MUST update if you intend on using the add-on model packs (available for a fee). 

3. Update if you intend on using any of the connectivity features (EDIT, Monkey, Gear Box, etc). 

Most users are going to be fine with never updating the X units. People with the 500 would see a tremendous change if they have never updated. In fact, because the four units are the same when up to date, I prevented multiple people from buying the 500X simply by updating their 500.  

• Thanks 1

Good stuff, PianoGuy!

I went ahead and pulled the trigger and did the update.  Everything works great!

Next project is to learn more about the "4 Cable Method" of connecting Line 6 to my BlackRock Club 40 amp.  

OK, so there is one little issue:  I'm not sure why my volume pedal isn't controlling the volume of anything I do.  I'll search for solutions on this blog, but just thought I'd throw it out there.  *Disclaimer:  I'm also fairly new to using blogs... at least as it relates to getting product support.  I'm actually liking it so far.  Thanks again for your help. 

Glen  

1 hour ago, gesteban1 said:

I'm not sure why my volume pedal isn't controlling the volume of anything I do.

It is not a volume pedal. It is an expression pedal - capable of controlling any value assigned to it. 

Also, you may need to do a pedal calibration. 

1 hour ago, gesteban1 said:

at least as it relates to getting product support

This isn't support. This is a public forum. 

It is listed under support because, well, let's face it, most problems that users have do not require a level 3 technician with a PhD in data cap software modulation. 

On 2/13/2021 at 3:10 AM, dingdini said:

I'm running Big Sur 11.2 and had gone through rounds of trying to get this to work with multiple installs of the Line6 drivers and POD HD500X Edit.  I thought to check one more time to see if the extension was being blocked and found that it wasn't, but I did find that it wasn't being loaded.  

In "System Information" look under the Software->Extensions for the "Line6Audio" extension.  There is a property there that will tell you if the driver has been loaded or not.  It should look like this:

That will cause the Security Panel to give you the dialog asking to authorize the extension.  I did that, and rebooted.  Once the computer was back up, my POD HD500X was being seen.

I hope this helps.  

P.S.:  I don't have an M1 mac, so I can't vouch that this method will cause the extension to load or work.  YMMV

This got both my POD HD and HD500x working on my MacBook Pro 16" i9, thank you!

On 5/3/2021 at 9:56 AM, pianoguyy said:

It is not a volume pedal. It is an expression pedal - capable of controlling any value assigned to it. 

Also, you may need to do a pedal calibration. 

This isn't support. This is a public forum. 

It is listed under support because, well, let's face it, most problems that users have do not require a level 3 technician with a PhD in data cap software modulation. 

Thanks.  I stand corrected.   I appreciate the clarification.  

• 5 weeks later...
On 3/23/2021 at 1:19 AM, bruddell said:

I was finally able to get my POD HD500X Edit software to work.  I'm new to Mac so it took some learning.

I tried dingdini's solution but it kept giving me a "Authenticating extension failed: Bad code signature" error.  The solution was to temporarily disable SIP.  There is info on the web if you need more detail, but in short, reboot into recovery mode, go to the terminal and type "csrutil disable".  Reboot.  Once you are back in MacOS perform dingdini's solution.  It "should" work, at least it did for me.

Once you have it working, you can (and should) reenable SIP by booting back into Recover Mode, run Terminal and type "csrutil enable".  Reboot back into standard MacOS and you should be all set.

Total bloody genius! Thank you! Got POD HD PRO edit working this way with Big Sur

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/3/2021 at 2:59 PM, dslee said:

Total bloody genius! Thank you! Got POD HD PRO edit working this way with Big Sur

Glad I could help dslee.  Be forewarned, every time there is a Big Sur update your POD will stop working again and you will have to repeat this process.  I've gotten it down to about 3 minutes.

• Like 1

On 2/13/2021 at 6:10 AM, dingdini said:

I hope this helps.  

On 6/15/2021 at 1:11 PM, Preselector said:

This all makes sense apart from the bit "type this into the Terminal ". What is the Terminal? Where do I type that string. I don't recognise the term.

The "Terminal" application is a utility program that allows access to the underpinnings of MacOS.  It's the geekier side of things.  

You can find it at /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app or by press the Command and Space Bar Keys and start typing in Terminal.  Terminal.app should autofill as you type, hit Return/Enter to open the application.  The "sudo" command will only work if the user account you use has administrative privileges.   Also, the line with "sudo" in it, don't copy the "#" at the beginning, just everything after it on that line, paste it into the terminal and hit enter. 

I hope this helps.  

• 2 weeks later...

I got 

On 2/13/2021 at 1:10 AM, dingdini said:

I hope this helps.  

I have this message...

Macbook 2020 i7

image.thumb.png.bbce0d02314b2bfcaa84bf7a0ac764db.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Eazy2801 said:

Will there be a driver update?

yxmV8FH.png

It's a shame, really. The POD HD series are cool units, and AFAIK they're still supported on Windows (or at the very least drivers still work).

I got my POD HD bean working following some of the advice you can find in the previous posts, but it would be a shame having to buy a new audio interface only because the drivers aren't updated anymore.

But oh well, it happens...

• 2 weeks later...

I received a response from Line 6 support (emphasis mine):

our products are not fully supported on computers using Apple Silicon processors, so we cannot offer technical support for products installed on M1 systems at this time. We are working to update all of our software (applications, hardware drivers and plugins) to fully support Silicon-based systems. 

Please check out the following knowledge base article for further info: 
https://line6.com/support/page/kb/general-faq/apple-silicon-m1-chip-compatibility-r985/

So it seems the plan is to port all their drivers to Silicon. No time frame is given though, so I think we'll be waiting a while.

• Like 1

On 6/3/2021 at 7:59 PM, dslee said:

Update to the above, it needs doing every time MacOS is updated (I just went to macOS Big Sur v11.5.1 on an Intel Core i5 iMac) Bit of a time-consuming pain.

Line 6 have a damned cheek claiming that the HD ProX works with Hd ProX Edit (and, de facto, my Logic Pro Software), especially when they are still selling the product. I, for one, will NEVER buy a Line 6 product again. I have other kit (Kemper Profiler, Mooer GE300, and they worked FLAWLESSLY with MacOS updates. Line 6 are only concerned with selling their latest products and not supporting older (but still being sold!) ones... Not to inflame a pointless debate but I had a Helix but sold it again, as I thought the amp modelling and in particular, the effects sounded a bit naff (compared with my much older Eventide stompboxes). I still wanted a one-stop shop pedalboard solution and I couldn't be happier with the Kemper. Each to their own, I realise that lots of you will be very happy with your Helix. I just think Line 6 support is sh**e

I haven't read this whole thread yet so I don't know if my issue has been mentioned...

I downloaded hd500x edit on my Mac (BigSur 11.4) without any issues. But when I open the app it doesn't register, or detect, that my pedal board is plugged in to the USB port so I can't use the program.

Can anyone help with this? Thanks!