Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Using HX Stomp with clean amp

patriot2006

I play through a Rivera Jazz Suprema 25 recording with a 12 inch speaker. I have been experimenting with the overdrive pedals in the stomp and 

for some reason when I roll down the volume the effect does not clean up as I would think. Basically I have the overdriven sound at all volumes.

The amp is designed to remain clean at high volumes on it's own and I can attest to that. Am I missing something here?

Thanks for any advise you can provide.

Regards,

Rich

People have different expectations as to what "rolling off the Volume knob" should do.

Assuming that you're running Guitar>Stomp L/Mono Input>1/4" Out>Amp Input:

In Global Settings>Ins/Outs, are the Input and Output Levels set to INST?

If you're using 4cm, the S/R also needs to be set to INST.

Also, consider your pickups. High gain pickups will react differently than lower gain PAF and SC pickups.

Which overdrives are you talking about?

While it's mostly a "tone" thing, some  ODs (808 is one) require a lower impedance setting in the Input-Z setting of the Input Block.

Try a preset with the OD FIRST in the chain. The first block's impedance sets the way the pickups are loaded by the OD.

Wired directly (no wireless, nothing between the guitar and input) with the OD first in the signal chain and the In-Z set to AUTO should give you the results you're looking for.

There's tricks you can use to load the pickups for the chosen OD when it's not first in the signal chain, but first try my suggestion to see if what you expect is possible.

This (impedance) is a complicated subject. You might want to check the Helix thread over on The Gear Page, Digital and Modeling forum. Search for "impedance". User @Tito83 has discussed this at great length.

I verified all the settings you suggested and they are identical to your instructions.  I did discover something interesting. I had a preset with the Hiwatt 100 and 4 12 speaker cabinet on a preset while it was plugged in to the front end of my amp and it sounded very good. I would not think to amps in series would have such a positive affect. 

1 hour ago, patriot2006 said:

I verified all the settings you suggested and they are identical to your instructions.  I did discover something interesting. I had a preset with the Hiwatt 100 and 4 12 speaker cabinet on a preset while it was plugged in to the front end of my amp and it sounded very good. I would not think to amps in series would have such a positive affect. 

If it SOUNDS good, it IS good.

No rules.